Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what everyone's plans are regarding closing up their house. (Of course this question is addressed to those who are 'bugging out'.)
I was thinking it might be wise to have a matching set of padlocks ready and a 'street key' to turn off the utilities and padlock the meters. I'm pretty sure if it's bad enough for me to leave, I won't be able to make an appt with the gas company to turn it off.
:xeye::zombie:whip:

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
If I have ta bug out it is because it has gotten fugly. Maybe IED door locks.

Don't think locks will do more than slow someone down. Maybe not even that if they know your well stocked home is undefended. Anything left behind in a bad situation is lost.

Myself, if time is available I would hide all that I could, trash tha house like it had been ransacked and go, at night.

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I have ta bug out it is because it has gotten fugly. Maybe IED door locks.

Don't think locks will do more than slow someone down. Maybe not even that if they know your well stocked home is undefended. Anything left behind in a bad situation is lost.

Myself, if time is available I would hide all that I could, trash tha house like it had been ransacked and go, at night.
see, i hadn't thought of that! thanks!

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
If I am forced to leave for an extended time period, I would have no plans to return.

At the very least, you will be robbed. Worst case.......intruders both rob and trash the place you left behind.

Or, you come back and find a bunch of squatters living in your home. I've been thru this experience.......when I had a very bad car accident and was in the hospital for a while. When I came back home, I found homeless people had moved in while I was away. And, you would just be amazed at how much damage invaders can do to a house that was previously in nice condition.

They refused to leave. I had to get a couple of sheriff's deputies to throw them out. Then, I worried for months about whether they would decide to come back and "get even", etc.

If you leave.......don't come back. Take everything of value that you can pack up and transport and just consider that part of your life to be over and done.

·
Banned
51 Posts
if i am bugging out i dont plan nor care about my home my family is my concern
but when you get to a sfe location i sugest what ever you feel safe doing..for me personaly i dont plan on seeing people but if i do then i wil just stay in they ill have to work hard to get in then get gunned down

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you board up/lock up/ secure your home during a bug out... chances are someone is going to notice and want to see what your trying so hard to protect.

Something I learned from other Jeep owners. If you have a soft top on your jeep, and you lock the doors... someone will cut your vinyl (expensive) windows to get to .84 cents in change and your Nickleback CD. If you left the windows down and the doors unlocked - they would still look through your stuff, but it would save the jeep from damage.

Same principle would work with a home. Leave the doors unlocked, make it looked ransacked. Let them take your TV and go through your underwear drawer. It will save you from having broken windows, door jams, ect...

If that doesnt work - Biohazard sighns all over :thumb:

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
If I am bugging out in SHTF event my house better be burned down to the ground or be ventilated with bullet holes to make me leave. I don't want to leave my house because it is set up fairly well.

If its a natural disaster or gas leak lock the doors and drive away with your valuables in your car.

·
Indefatigable
21,048 Posts
I live in an apartment but have BOL. We take what's important and walk out the door.

Reactions: love2garden22

·
FBHO
1,279 Posts
Good topic. I'm going to clean the place of any trace of info that can be used to figure out where i'm headed. Going in the bag are some records of the property we'll be headed to, as well as some old info, and some envelopes from a nearby friend with their address nearby is headed to the fire pit.

Someone who knew what they were looking for, would realize quickly I bugged out but left prepared, just from what i'd have to leave behind.

I'd hate to have a trail on me.

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good topic. I'm going to clean the place of any trace of info that can be used to figure out where i'm headed. Going in the bag are some records of the property we'll be headed to, as well as some old info, and some envelopes from a nearby friend with their address nearby is headed to the fire pit.

Someone who knew what they were looking for, would realize quickly I bugged out but left prepared, just from what i'd have to leave behind.

I'd hate to have a trail on me.
I was thinking to laminate and pack in the BOB the house deed, latest tax receipt, and basic ID papers to prove ownership.
If the house is still there, if and when I return, I don't think a squatter would like me digging up my records from the backyard.
Of course I'm ditching all other personal papers, no real reason to keep most of this stuff anyways, just ocp I guess.
My house already has a tall chain link fence all around that I keep the gates padlocked (except when I'm expecting a UPS package). I'm certain the fence won't stop anyone though, that's why I'm bugging out, no real way to secure against someone determined to enter.
I kind of agree with the 'leave the door open' idea in theory, but I really hate to make it easy on any looters/squatters, at least make 'em work for it. Not sure what that translates to in reality, maybe just screwed down windows and padlocked doors.

Since no one really knows for sure what's going to happen, I can't be certain that a 'bug out' situation is going to be forever. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part, but I sure would hate to have a three to six month type of shtf and return to my house that I've burned out myself (although I appreciate the sentiment for sure)
I've dealt with trashed houses and squatters before and don't really see that as a real problem, as long as the structure is there everything else can be fixed.

(Maybe SoCal is right and this isn't in the right section, but I was trying to reach other people who were 'bugging out' not in, and I thought that would involve 'wilderness' living.)

btw, All of this debt ceiling talk from the govt has got me stepping up my plans as I'm still not ready yet! :eek: So now I'm up at 2 a.m. making exit strategy lists! Oh yeah, and there are people :zombie coming and going out on the street at this hour (usually I'm asleep :sleep: and don't notice).

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Don't you people have any friends, relatives and neighbors that might be interested / have to bug in?

Everyone needs to be dual prepped for bugging out and in ...... if you bug out, there would be a prepared home and some supplies left for your chosen ......

There's all kinds of SHTF situations where you would bug out if possible, but a return to your previous life is in the cards .....

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Plan A is bugging in. If I have to leave, the circumstances are very dire. IE; the house has burned down or the military is moving in and forcing people to leave. In any event, the situation is pretty bad and there is no expectation of ever coming back and having anything left.

In that case, I will pack whatever I can for the circumstances, and go. What I leave behind, I leave behind with no expectation of it being there if/when I return.

If I have to leave something behind that's valuable like ammo, guns, or non perishable food, I have many places on my land to bury it. This will greatly increase the likelihood of it still being there someday. Or I might give it to a neighbor who is staying.

If I have time, I might secure the area, but it would probably be a waste of time.

Az

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't you people have any friends, relatives and neighbors that might be interested / have to bug in?

Everyone needs to be dual prepped for bugging out and in ...... if you bug out, there would be a prepared home and some supplies left for your chosen ......

There's all kinds of SHTF situations where you would bug out if possible, but a return to your previous life is in the cards .....
No friends here and any remaining living relatives are out of state.
My neighbors are the future zombies.
I am not leaving anything behind in the way of preps.
Had to laugh about hiding the valuables, don't really have anything worth taking, but I do remember during various past disasters where people were looting electronics with no electricity, go figure!
I guess there's not as many people planning on bugging out as I had thought.
Bugging in is just not an option in my neighborhood, I am not Rambo.....

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
It kinda depends on what the bug out situation is. Weather its natural disaster, zombies, civil unrest/ massive rioting, teotwawki. For example natural disaster you dont have to burn it down but ownership paper would be good for the return. Zombies is there any where safe. Rioting you house is a safe as anywhere so for me it depends

1 - 19 of 19 Posts