Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Liberty or Death
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have plans on Bugging Out to a small Island about a 2.5 miles from downtown Louisville, KY.

I need you guys to tell me if it is a good idea or a bad idea.

Background on plan: Primary plan is to bug in. Most of my preparations are for that. Secondary Plan is for a top secret location in the city. The Island is my back-up plan's back-up. It would only be enacted if there was some incredibly crazy situation like a pandemic or zombie apocalypse. I have no qualms about sharing this location because if the time comes for me to go there, most of you reading this would already have died.

It will just be me, my pit bull, and my girlfriend (who lives and preps with me). We have various means of treating water for up to a year, and food preps for up to 6 months (which i plan on supplementing with small game and fishing).

The idea is this: When the time comes, load up a canoe or small boat with preps (it is a short distance from my apartment to the river, and a short ride downriver to the island). Set up the high side of the island, with enough cover to stay concealed. The river just had record flooding this spring, so statistically i won't have to worry about it beating that record for a few seasons.

Once we arrive we will scope out the island and set up our camp. I will scavenge the shipping yards to the south for materials to make a more permanent shelter.

Pros: Relatively close, could feasibly get there in less than a day. Good defensibility. Easy to maintain opsec. Large amount of land (45ish acres). Still close to city center so plenty of scavenging opportunities. If under martial law or occupation from a foreign military (one of my prep scenarios is a war with China over commodities) the island would not be a priority for raids. Plenty of downed wood for fire/heat source. Still close enough to the city to "keep tabs" on any developing situations.

Cons: Difficult to grow my own food/ not much open space. Run the risk of loss of preps while traveling on river. Could be spotted while traveling on river. Slight risk of river flooding island. Industrial complexes around river could contaminate water supply. Difficult to meet up with other "survivors" and create a community.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
It might be a good place to watch the city burn. Sit on the bank and watch the river traffic one weekend. This will give you an idea of the recreational traffic/boats in your area. You can bet you are not the only one thinking of this. Many time with islands its first come first claim. You are to close to the city for this to be any type of long term retreat. Is there any forest land down river you can paddle to? That might be your best bet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have plans on Bugging Out to a small Island about a 2.5 miles from downtown Louisville, KY.

I need you guys to tell me if it is a good idea or a bad idea.

Background on plan: Primary plan is to bug in. Most of my preparations are for that. Secondary Plan is for a top secret location in the city. The Island is my back-up plan's back-up. It would only be enacted if there was some incredibly crazy situation like a pandemic or zombie apocalypse. I have no qualms about sharing this location because if the time comes for me to go there, most of you reading this would already have died.

It will just be me, my pit bull, and my girlfriend (who lives and preps with me). We have various means of treating water for up to a year, and food preps for up to 6 months (which i plan on supplementing with small game and fishing).

The idea is this: When the time comes, load up a canoe or small boat with preps (it is a short distance from my apartment to the river, and a short ride downriver to the island). Set up the high side of the island, with enough cover to stay concealed. The river just had record flooding this spring, so statistically i won't have to worry about it beating that record for a few seasons.

Once we arrive we will scope out the island and set up our camp. I will scavenge the shipping yards to the south for materials to make a more permanent shelter.

Pros: Relatively close, could feasibly get there in less than a day. Good defensibility. Easy to maintain opsec. Large amount of land (45ish acres). Still close to city center so plenty of scavenging opportunities. If under martial law or occupation from a foreign military (one of my prep scenarios is a war with China over commodities) the island would not be a priority for raids. Plenty of downed wood for fire/heat source. Still close enough to the city to "keep tabs" on any developing situations.

Cons: Difficult to grow my own food/ not much open space. Run the risk of loss of preps while traveling on river. Could be spotted while traveling on river. Slight risk of river flooding island. Industrial complexes around river could contaminate water supply. Difficult to meet up with other "survivors" and create a community.
Im going with no on the island plan...... unless its fantasy island of course:thumb:

·
Liberty or Death
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can bet you are not the only one thinking of this. Many time with islands its first come first claim.
I don't think many other people are thinking of this. I think that at most stages of panic, like a economic collapse or EMP, most people will be trying to flee the city while i will try to hunker down and bug in. If things start getting bad like tyrannical martial law or roving gangs, I will hit up my primary bug-out location while the people who didn't leave the city initially will starve and use up most of their resources. The Island plan is more of "i don't think things will ever return to normal/civilization is lost" type mentality.

The only situation i can think of where i would have people trying to get to the island at the same time I am would be if there was a "pearl harbor" type surprise attack on the city or a nuclear bomb. I don't think that most people even know of the island outside of the people that can see it and the people that work on the river.

But, if someone has the foresight to plan on bugging out to the island and has enough resources and preps to do it right, hopefully they wouldn't be opposed to a little bit of "company" and we could start a little island commune!!!!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
It would seem temporary to me as a BOL with no game and foraging. Interesting idea though. My BOL is on an island as well but I have all kinds of food growing, swimming and walking around me.

A lot of people are afraid of the water and that will cut out a substantial number of visitors by itself. Add it to the fact that you can see them approaching in the daylight, it seems a decent location for purposes of security.

Have you ever been there before? If not, it might be a good idea to check it out, scout for a shelter, stash some supplies, gather some wood, etc.

·
Liberty or Death
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you ever been there before? If not, it might be a good idea to check it out, scout for a shelter, stash some supplies, gather some wood, etc.
No, but i might be making a trip in the near future. I need to check out elevations in person and might drop off a cache or two. I don't think foraging would be too bad for two people, plus i could always hop over the river to Indiana for small game.

Thanks for the idea!

·
I hate everyone equally.
1,349 Posts
A Pearl Harbor type attack on Louisville? Man you are seriously thinking out of the box and considering all eventualities! LOL

As far as running to the island after a zombie apocolypse.... Did you see the remake of the Dawn of the Dead movie from a couple of years ago, with Ving Rhames? Think about the end of the movie. Good luck with that!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here in Kansas City there is a similar island on the Kaw river. Once upon a time(5-10 years ago) there was a guy living on it until the local .gov found out about it and had him removed because it wasnt "safe".
As I understand he lived there for several years. I guess to him it was the safest place in town.

·
The Scorpion
171 Posts
Hope you like fish.

Edit:

Thinking on this a little more, I see problems for you.

You are not far enough away that people won't be able to see you, so plan on MZB's grabbing boats and even trying to swim out there in the middle of the night.

You, I foresee, can also plan on having to dodge sniper fire of varying accuracies. I think you will make a tempting target out there.

I'd recommend building chain/cable blocks and other water defenses but I don't see you having the manpower to surround the whole thing, so there's almost no point in trying.

Edit to the edit:

There is a similar island in Portland, but I can promise you, thousands of job-bound city dwellers have looked at that island on their morning commute and fantasized about living on it in some sort of "cast away" style - back to basics scenario.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The island might be a good idea, but it might be a poor idea at the same time. You should take time to scout the area. Take tally of the wildlife on the island, its probably little to nil. I might be wrong. You're right about the water, who knows what happens when the industrial complex (whats left of it lol) fails and pollutes the water.

Now, for that island, i would defend that little rock with my life because that is going to be a first-come-first-serve place. It will get very crowded very fast. It could be a good place to watch everything happen and wait for order to be restored.

If you're serious about the area, you should visit the island a few times, find a good way to gain access to it. ie a good launch dock. Find the best spot in the area and just make minor preps like clearing the area so when you actually go to the area, little effort is needed to get the place up to your standards. Most importantly, scout the area for signs other people frequent the area, this will give you a general idea how many people might show up right away. I had this hunting spot that was phenomenal, lots of signs, great shooting lanes, etc. Only problem, a 30 min scout of the area revealed that there were 15-20 other people that had the same idea (or one dude with 20 very different debris blinds), I just couldn't imagine the ****ing match that would ensue after everyone steps on someone else's toes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think it might be a bad idea. The locks there are of high importance to river operations and I think those islands will become guard areas for the locks. I would chill there for a day or few and move north in Washington, Harrison, Crawford county IN, head west down the river to Breckinridge county, or south deeper into central KY. Theres a lot of wilderness area just outside of Louisville all within a day or two walk. Being right there on those islands your fires will be visible from the west end and NA and as soon as the water level drops people will be able to walk right to you. I remember riding 4 wheelers out there in the sand flats during low water times. I personally want to be out of the "ville" ASAP if SHTF.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Im going to agree with the consensus. The island is to close to the city. Even if you were the only one one island, it would be impossible to hide the fact the island was occupied from any survivors of the city. Its to close.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Really it depends on sit-x so I'd go with a possible yes.

Possible problems, whats the soil like? you want a garden in place pre sit-x starting from scratch while the worlds gone to hell in a handbasket is alot of work.

Protien?

Water........... yeah I know you're surrounded by it have you got adequate purification? If the river flows FROM the city.............. yuk.

Water again, how prone are the rivers to rising? how would it effect your island? We have islands on rivers people live on, those prone to flooding have homes built on stilts.

·
Learning
6,730 Posts
You will have to make a canoe trip there to find out. Yes, see how much "sign" of humans there are.

Plant a couple of 5 gallon bucket caches and check them every couple months.

If you thought it was viable, you'd have to practice going there and getting there in all sorts of weather and temperatures.

If you still thought it was the best option, certainly pre-build something there.

Personally I'd guess it is a place that teens go and make forts and stuff, they probably have the same idea. All this will be really easy to find out with a day visit. You should be able to get there and scout the entire island in less than a day.

·
Banned
214 Posts
(You gotta love we are debating a scenario that we can basically say will never happen)

With that said: isn't an island a horrible strategic location? It can be approached from any side. No matter how good you are with a gun, someone can sneak up to the island from whatever side you aren't watching.

To avoid detection, you'd almost have to live in the middle of the island and only scavenge at night. Paddling across the water is slow. I'm sure most people here would pride themselves on being able to snipe you from 800 yards while paddling.

It would just freak me out. You're trying to sleep at night and someone paddles out to the island, walks into your camp and slits your throat. Yikes. I don't think you can ever safely assume you are the only person with an idea like that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wouldn't you be much better off using that boat or canoe to drift down river to a more rural area, especially if you are worried about a pandemic. By the way if you are going to take 6 months worth of stuff with you, you are going to need a bigger vessel than a canoe or you are going to have to make a bunch of trips.

·
Plays best, alone
4,970 Posts
I'm with those that say its a bad idea. As someone else pointed out, maybe you can go further down river in your canoe/boat. Down around Tobacco Landing looks better.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
No, but i might be making a trip in the near future. I need to check out elevations in person and might drop off a cache or two. I don't think foraging would be too bad for two people, plus i could always hop over the river to Indiana for small game.

Thanks for the idea!
Im in the camp that suggest it might not be a good idea except in the very short term. We have a island such as the one your describing on a very large lake here. It has no game other than birds on it. As obscure as it is, a walk on this island shows that its a popular hang out, if the indication of the number of beer bottles and trash is any sort of measure not to mention fire pits left behind from previous users. So you can bet you aint the only one thinking about this island and if you arent greeted there when you arrive, you can bet you will be competing with new arrivals with the same idea you got.

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Recon, recon, recon!!!!

Check it out first. Look for signs iof "life" or others that have gone before you. Get a few trail cameras and hide them in likely places and see what they revile.

See what the sight lines are from different parts of the city on both sides. So you know where you might be exposed.

A few facts from googling.
The welsh make a stand at sand island.

Portland lost city

Notable stuff

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
BY the time you get there 1,000 other people will have had the same idea and the island will be just as crowded as everywhere else. Even if you are the first person there you will have no way to stop 1,000 other people from setting up camp right next to you.

A BOL is not viable unless you are certain it will be empty when you get there. Therefore, no public lands are viable BOLs. Neither are BOLs you leave empty because if someone gets there before you they will likely just defend it against you.

This is the main reason why BOLs in general are poor ideas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts