Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is the same age as my dad, 84. He is a retired police detective and he lives on a mountain in a remote part of the State. He heard I am now selling water filters and asked to see a catalog. I met with him yesterday and he said he was looking for a portable filter that could be carried in a backpack. I jokingly asked him if he was planning to "bug out" but then realized that he was dead serious. He said he wanted it on hand in case of an emergency like a forest fire, which are a real threat in his area.

I am in awe of this octegenarian. I know his wife is very frail and I just can't imagine what his plans are. But I gotta give this guy kudos and the utmost admiration. We talked about food supplies and things of that nature but there were others in the room and he didn't want to discuss such things in detail. I guess he knows how some folks look at preppers.

Do you have a plan for the elderly folks in your life? Both my folks are in their 80's and they live on the other side of the country, so I don't know what they will do. I fear that some will be left in helpless and desperate situations. I am glad that I have a brother and a sister living in the same town as my folks. I hate that it will fall on their shoulders to help the old folks, but that is what it is.

I just bought a sack of white rice and a bag of quinoa on Sunday. I am feeling that I need to ramp up my preps.

I usually don't start threads here so I thank you for visiting!

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
It is disgusting how the Rambos on this site think anyone older than 23 is expendable weak baggage, and females are just for slave breeding. Old folks have experience and knowledge, a great capacity to adapt, and most important of all, emotional stability, a very needed force in difficult times. They are society and are needed to continue society.

In a survival situation there many tasks to be done and most of them do not require testosterone or brute force. And an 85-year old can be as deadly with a rifle as a 20 year old. Prep for the entire family, including pets (they have jobs and emotional roles to play.) Prepping for everyone is what adults do. Saving your own ass is for boys who will be among to solo firsts to die.

I am on the fast tract to being an old fart, if not already there. I know nearly 1,000 edible wild plants. That's a lot of knowledge to kick out of the compound just because I'm not under 40 or a pretty girl.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The elderly in my group [family, close friends and neighbors] will be taken care of and respected as long as they last. They will also be expected to contribute as they are able, made to feel useful and of value.

My 94 year old mother lives semi-independently on our property about 300 feet from us. My neighbor's mother, in her 70s lives just across the road.

A society made up of children with no respect for their parents, regardless of their age, is a society in decline.

·
What would Mal do
5,236 Posts
my mom turns 80 later this year...still works at least 6 days a week...drives her car like she's a 30yr old...in fact several of her best girl friends are under 40...mom's spirit knows no age boundaries.

she lives on the coast - hurricane threats - she promised herself that she would never again evac on the highway and get stuck in hours of gridlock so I usually have to go down and get her early on when I see a really bad one tracking her way. Getting her inland to our main house is my only real plan.

mom-in-law - not so fortunate - she's in a nursing home and getting her to the bathroom in her room is a challenge. Emergency plans was part of our discussion when we interviewed the home we placed her in. We are resolved that if shtf, that she is better cared for in most circumstances there and we have no intention of trying to recon her.

In both parent's and even my adult children's cases, we have a rule that has been soul searched. We tell them in advance to prep, to plan, and to get out early if it's something they can see coming. If they refuse to help themselves or it's a really bad shtf, then I will not leave my wife and the security of our home to go on recon. I'm just old enough that the odds of making it are not good, and the risk of leaving my wife behind to defend herself..no...wife is first, all other family we'll help as best we can and as the situation allows.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope you sold him a katadyne pocket filter. It might cost more, but you get what you pay for. The rest are just so much plastic junk IMHO.

I had a buddy email a link showing his 80 year old father sky diving. Over 40 doesn't mean dead.
Not the Pocket, but he's leaning toward the Katadyn Vario. Someone recccommended it. The Pocket has been priced out of many people's reach. Katadyn's pricing policy makes it difficult to sell any Pockets these days. I'm sort of at war with them as they want to limit how often I reduce the price but it seems Amazon can keep their prices low. It's very frustrating.

I think the Combi is a good alternative to the higher priced Pocket and I just started selling Sawyer products too. I just haven't figured out which of the Sawyer are the best. The Point One Emergency Filter Kit is very popular though. I am running a sale on all Sawyer products right now. Today is the last day.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The elderly in my group [family, close friends and neighbors] will be taken care of and respected as long as they last. They will also be expected to contribute as they are able, made to feel useful and of value.

My 94 year old mother lives semi-independently on our property about 300 feet from us. My neighbor's mother, in her 70s lives just across the road.

A society made up of children with no respect for their parents, regardless of their age, is a society in decline.
Nice! We need more folks like you. :thumb:

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,606 Posts
I will provide for and protect them the best I can until the end of their lives or mine, whichever comes first. In life no one gets out alive, it's just a matter of when. If forced to choose, I'll take the survival of my honor over the survival of my body. Not sure many here would agree, but that's how I feel about it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My mother and my wifes parents live within walking distance. Our neighborhood is split between the elderly and people in their early 20s. We are teaching the younger ones what it means to be neighbors. When they see a big group of us doing something in one persons yard, they come over to see what is going on and get put to work. They don't mind. When you see those people offer to help before the group gets there the next time, it makes you feel good.

Everyones situation is different, but bugging out, with limited supplies, and with people that can't walk far, just doesn't make sense unless there is absolutely no other option. Get a place where you know and like your neighbors and you have a MAG without even trying. That way you already know what each person will do in a variety of situations.

Get to know your neighbors.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
I have a very elderly neighbor several miles down the road who lives alone. She is 80 and still a spitfire!
She is a very independent, self reliant woman... an original prepper one might say.

In the event of shtf, she's coming with me. Took me three years of friendly bartering, (my produce for her out-of-this-world jams!) before she gave me the ok.
She can do lots, but understands the world we live in today. It could be too dangerous for one person.

Her knowledge in gardening has me, a grower by profession, in awe sometimes. The woman knows her way around the compost heap, and can revive a near dead plant!

Her cooking skills are as sharp today, as they were 50 years ago...what a good cook.
She has shared some of her recipes...I'm trying so very hard to replicate them with so-so success.

In some ways I think I'm helping her by bringing her over when shtf.
But in many ways I feel she will teach me more than my head can hold...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mother and my wifes parents live within walking distance. Our neighborhood is split between the elderly and people in their early 20s. We are teaching the younger ones what it means to be neighbors. When they see a big group of us doing something in one persons yard, they come over to see what is going on and get put to work. They don't mind. When you see those people offer to help before the group gets there the next time, it makes you feel good.

Everyones situation is different, but bugging out, with limited supplies, and with people that can't walk far, just doesn't make sense unless there is absolutely no other option. Get a place where you know and like your neighbors and you have a MAG without even trying. That way you already know what each person will do in a variety of situations.

Get to know your neighbors.
Thanks, great advice. I just met a neighbor who moved to my neighborhood 7 years ago, 6 months before me. We both came from the same community and know lots of people in common, although we had never met. That we never met until recently is a sad testament to what much of our society had become. We are disconnected in many ways that our ancestors were connected. I like to hear that people are watching out for each other. We all do need to do more of that.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like you are both lucky to know each other. :thumb:

I have a very elderly neighbor several miles down the road who lives alone. She is 80 and still a spitfire!
She is a very independent, self reliant woman... an original prepper one might say.

In the event of shtf, she's coming with me. Took me three years of friendly bartering, (my produce for her out-of-this-world jams!) before she gave me the ok.
She can do lots, but understands the world we live in today. It could be too dangerous for one person.

Her knowledge in gardening has me, a grower by profession, in awe sometimes. The woman knows her way around the compost heap, and can revive a near dead plant!

Her cooking skills are as sharp today, as they were 50 years ago...what a good cook.
She has shared some of her recipes...I'm trying so very hard to replicate them with so-so success.

In some ways I think I'm helping her by bringing her over when shtf.
But in many ways I feel she will teach me more than my head can hold...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will provide for and protect them the best I can until the end of their lives or mine, whichever comes first. In life no one gets out alive, it's just a matter of when. If forced to choose, I'll take the survival of my honor over the survival of my body. Not sure many here would agree, but that's how I feel about it.
I like how you think!

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Well my parents are in AZ and really will have to be taken care of by my God Parents and their Family.

I think you will see a MASSIVE die off of the elderly if SHTF as in commerce stops because lack of medicine.
I'm 61 and don't take a single pill. I think you will find a lot of that medication is unnecessary.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Once (if) I get up that far in years. The last thing I want, would be for my children to risk their lives, and their family on my behalf. I've lived my life its their turn now. Its one thing if plans have been made and a location supplied. Like I said , if I'm really elderly the clock is already ticking. SHTF or not. I'd tell the kids thanks for thinking of me now GET!! I prefer one of my last acts to be an honorable one.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My mom is 80 years old and suffering dementia. She has multiple health issues, so I have been taking care of her for the last 4 years. We are bugging in, but when her meds run out, she will be in serious peril. Im trying to keep the max amount allowed at any given time, but insurance companies only allow 3 months. Besides her I have 3 pets i wouldn't leave behind either, they also have preps for their survival. My brothers are almost zero help when it comes to mom. If we had to get out quickly, I'd probably die trying to protect her, she can barely walk. Hope it never comes to that!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It is disgusting how the Rambos on this site think anyone older than 23 is expendable weak baggage, and females are just for slave breeding. Old folks have experience and knowledge, a great capacity to adapt, and most important of all, emotional stability, a very needed force in difficult times. They are society and are needed to continue society.

In a survival situation there many tasks to be done and most of them do not require testosterone or brute force. And an 85-year old can be as deadly with a rifle as a 20 year old. Prep for the entire family, including pets (they have jobs and emotional roles to play.) Prepping for everyone is what adults do. Saving your own ass is for boys who will be among to solo firsts to die.

I am on the fast tract to being an old fart, if not already there. I know nearly 1,000 edible wild plants. That's a lot of knowledge to kick out of the compound just because I'm not under 40 or a pretty girl.
I agree, with knowledge like that you'd be an asset to any group. I bought the book wild edible plants, but a lot of them aren't in our area, nor in North America. Is there a better book that shows more from the Northeast
part of the US?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.