Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been thinking. I've got everything I need here at my house.
I live near a river so there's nonstop water. I have water filter. I've got plenty of emergency food buckets, MREs, canned food. A good rifle and hand gun and thousands of rounds of ammo for each, armored plate carrier and ballistic helmet. However I only have one car, so I'd only be able to carry a limited supply of stuff with me wherever I go. So if someone doesn't mind, tell me what I'm missing or not considering/thinking about here with the bug out strategy.

Like it seems impractical to bug out and go camping somewhere unless I'm bugging out to a better place with even more supplies. Which some people may have and that's great. However in my case, and I kind of suspect in the case of most people. What's really the point? I know the argument against it is that roving gangs and in general living zombies (unprepared starving people who want to kill you to take your stuff) are going to be everywhere. Maybe..

However with proper barricades unless they have a full metal suit that can stop rifle rounds I don't really think I'll have an issue being outgunned. Gangs have numbers but most of them aren't skilled in shooting. I doubt they practice much. Not to mention, ask the military and police how dangerous and troublesome it is to clear rooms from people who have guns aimed at the door you want to come in. Unless they have grenades or flash bangs I'd imagine it wouldn't end well for them. My door is pretty heavy duty and it only takes a few seconds for me to be within reach of my rifle.

That's of course if they even know I have anything. I dont drive a fancy car or live in a beautiful house. As far as I know, no one knows I have hoards of food and ammo. I can't really imagine a gang wasting their time going house to house looking for food. Maybe they would if desperate enough. But down south here lots of people are armed. So their numbers would probably get cut down before they even made it to my house. I'd hear them bust my neighbors house down first and the gun fight that would probably happen. Me seeing this I'd help my neighbor out and shoot the gang members I see. I'd imagine this would be a common scenario all through the towns/cities here. How realistic is that?

I think the most threatening danger would be a very large gang that basically turns into an army. They're trying to take the entire town at that point rather than local small gangs busting house to house. I'd imagine most towns would still probably have some sort of governance. Not big cities like LA, Chicago, ATL, etc. but smaller towns or cities could organize better. So they'd have their own force to face that. I'm kind of imagining similar scenarios in the walking dead. However if the force was large enough, they could as seen in the show, take over even towns that had an effective resistance.

So that might be something to think about, and a reason you'd want to bug out to a remote location. However unless you've got your own private bunker with running water and years of food you have to come out sometimes... and... you're probably alone or with a small group of people like your family who might be depending on you. So if some gang or hungry mob saw you it's way easier for them to surround the house and wait for you to come out side if they want to shoot you from some concealed position. Even dumb criminals can think of that. Not so easy in a town or small city where there are still other people who would have an issue with gangs or strangers shooting their neighbors.

So going outside isn't that big of an issue because there's probably lots of people who also have to go outside for things like water. Only small issue is if your neighbors who might be starting to get hungry catch on that you've got something, they could conspire against you possibly. But long as you blend in and don't look like you're well fed I dont see it being an issue. Idk what am I missing? I just think bugging out without going to a fortified location unknown to the world isn't all that great.

That's mostly to all the people who are going to get their tents or whatever and live off the land or whatever. In a house you have the home advantage. In the woods the attacker has the advantage. They can come at any angle, from anywhere, especially when you sleep. in your home it's only your door and windows which can be easily barricaded, you'd probably wake up to window breaking or banging down of your door.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
There is always a reason to bug out.

Personally, my plan (and that of the remaining members of my MAG) is to bug in here for most events. We plan for that, stock supplies for that, and I have even modified both my home and yard with that intention.

On the other hand, there are plenty of events where bugging out will be the only sensible option. Some of them are obvious (house is too damaged to provide shelter or resources, either during or before the event), some are progressive (the neighborhood/region is on fire and your house is hours away from being next), some are potential (bad people decide they want the place more than you and are willing to destroy it to get it).

Some times, the event itself is the problem with staying bugged in. The region your house is in could get flooded, chemically or radiologically contaminated, become a war zone, whatever...

Basically, if staying either increases or actually presents a threat to welfare, you need a plan to bug out.

·
Fenced In
3,406 Posts
I am firmly in the bug-in camp, at least for now. Including a pregnant wife and a toddler in bug-out plans throws all kinds of new variables into the mix, not the least of them being the drastically different quantity and kinds of supplies required. But even without that consideration, we are in a relatively good spot for bugging in, even though it's in a populous suburb of a large metro area. In my opinion, having food, water and other supplies stocked at the outset of an event means that more attention can be turned toward defense, dealing with possible injuries, and just generally trying to stay safe. If bugging out isn't part of the strategy and your home hasn't been compromised in a meaningful way, there's really not much need to put yourself in harm's way. Sure, you'll want to come up for air eventually, so to speak, but lying low initially can go a long way toward extending your time among the living.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,675 Posts
I believe bugging in should be your primary plan, Plan A.

But let's consider a scenario where a gang of folks have piled dead brush against your home and lit it on fire.

In about 2 min your house is going to explode in flames.

So I believe in a Plan B as well. I would never suggest bugging out as a better option than staying in your home, until your home becomes unsafe.

Then bugging out and trying to survive is better than dying right now.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Okay so I've been thinking. I've got everything I need here at my house.
I live near a river so there's nonstop water. I have water filter. I've got plenty of emergency food buckets, MREs, canned food. A good rifle and hand gun and thousands of rounds of ammo for each, armored plate carrier and ballistic helmet. However I only have one car, so I'd only be able to carry a limited supply of stuff with me wherever I go. So if someone doesn't mind, tell me what I'm missing or not considering/thinking about here with the bug out strategy.
Your house catches fire and burns down, taking all your supplies with it.

That river rises to the point that your house will be flooded or even swept away.

There's a train or truck accident in your area, a cloud of poisonous gas is headed right for your place, and it's get out or die choking in agony as your lungs fill with your own fluids.

A weather event so big, so powerful that it terrifies everyone is moving into your area and you leave now or die with your house.

Anything that renders your house unlivable will force you to bug out. Don't focus just on the idea of a mob, or other humans, but consider ALL risks, and plan accordingly.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have already been forced out of my home by fire. Luckily my place did not burn, but it was an education for me. I have preps like you. However, when you have to decide what to carry in that moment you realize that prior planning and pre packaging can save you a lot of time.

What I mean is you should have a bug out bin, you can find them in office supply stores, that have your hit the road essentials. When the time comes add, Water, Food, Weapons and Ammo. This will cut down on time spent searching for then lugging your preps to the car.

Tailor the kit to your needs and destination, if you have one already picked out. If space in the car is a problem would a roof rack be a viable idea for you? Take into consideration the probability of rain when picking your car topping container.

Oh, don't forget the T.P.

Good Luck

·
reluctant sinner
17,912 Posts
I plan to stay home. However I have a BOB with places to go by different means and paths. I'm working on an INCH cart because I want way more stuff than I can pack on my back.

Plans are cheap. Tested plans are better. No plan survives direct combat with the enemy.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
I have places to go if needed, and arrangements made to do that in as much peace as possible, but I plan to stay where I am barring poison gases or tank attacks. As is, I am who my people will be fleeing to. This is where a number of people will fall back to when their own place becomes untenable. Stores are in place, rules and understandings have already been laid out. If they arrive here to find it a toxic wasteland most of them know the next choice destination.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your house catches fire and burns down, taking all your supplies with it.

That river rises to the point that your house will be flooded or even swept away.

There's a train or truck accident in your area, a cloud of poisonous gas is headed right for your place, and it's get out or die choking in agony as your lungs fill with your own fluids.

A weather event so big, so powerful that it terrifies everyone is moving into your area and you leave now or die with your house.

Anything that renders your house unlivable will force you to bug out. Don't focus just on the idea of a mob, or other humans, but consider ALL risks, and plan accordingly.
Yeah thost are good things to consider. For me I was mostly thinking about society breaks down, riots, a world WROL.

Now onto those points. I have a fire extinguisher. That's probably not enough to help if someone else lit my house on fire from the outside. Got a gas mask for bio-chemical attacks, or accidents idk how long it's good for. The flood is another thing to consider. Some of these things seem temporary. I guess bugging out into the woods is a decent idea for some of these scenarios. I guess packing things and going would be my last resort if I absolutely had to leave.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have already been forced out of my home by fire. Luckily my place did not burn, but it was an education for me. I have preps like you. However, when you have to decide what to carry in that moment you realize that prior planning and pre packaging can save you a lot of time.

What I mean is you should have a bug out bin, you can find them in office supply stores, that have your hit the road essentials. When the time comes add, Water, Food, Weapons and Ammo. This will cut down on time spent searching for then lugging your preps to the car.

Tailor the kit to your needs and destination, if you have one already picked out. If space in the car is a problem would a roof rack be a viable idea for you? Take into consideration the probability of rain when picking your car topping container.

Oh, don't forget the T.P.

Good Luck
The roof rack good idea I think I'll look into getting one of those. Totally forgot about that.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Yeah thost are good things to consider. For me I was mostly thinking about society breaks down, riots, a world WROL.

Now onto those points. I have a fire extinguisher. That's probably not enough to help if someone else lit my house on fire from the outside.

Every prepper should have multiple extinguishers in their home and out buildings. Problem is, they only work if no one is trying to keep you from using it. If you, for whatever reason, cannot access the fire to fight it, they will do you little good.

I have a friend living in a rural area that made this awesome system of modified sprinklers and such that he mounted to his roof that saturates his house and the area immediately around it in case of forest fire threat or warning. He tests it a couple times a year. If I was not dependent on municipal water supply (he has his own water) I would build one myself.

If someone is resorting to lighting your place up, yeah, they will probably be smart enough to not stand by and watch you put it out.

Got a gas mask for bio-chemical attacks, or accidents idk how long it's good for.

Depends on the duration of the threat and the nature of the chemicals. There are things that are used industrially that burn the skin, eat filters, etc. Also, without detection equipment and MANY spare filters you cannot know when it is safe to stop using it.

On top of that, ever tried to eat with a gas mask on? Yeah there are masks you can drink in. Sure, you might be able to use those with some sort of meal replacement shakes or something. Sure, you can skip some meals for a while, but eventually energy levels make getting anything done tough.

The flood is another thing to consider.

Especially when the water does damage by its volume, does damage by its content (debris, mud, contaminants, etc), can make a place unlivable purely by water damage (humidity, mold, standing water, not to mention sanitation/drinking water/ insect issues), destroys both natural and stored resources, and the list goes on and on...

Some of these things seem temporary. I guess bugging out into the woods is a decent idea for some of these scenarios. I guess packing things and going would be my last resort if I absolutely had to leave.
You might want to take a close look at the threats that are real and possible in your local area. Don't just think about social unrest, government take overs, financial collapse, CMEs and the stuff popular on this board and others like it.

I met a guy some time ago preparing for a social and economic collapse. He was stocking up food, guns, PMs, and the like. He was fortifying his home, replaced his fence with a stone wall, steel gate protected his driveway, etc etc.

He was living in an earthquake zone. I asked him what measures he had taken, with all these renovations, to protect the home and occupants against a large earthquake. He stared blankly at me before saying "****"... The following year he spent almost $50K on earthquake and severe weather upgrades.

There are literally a TON of events that can lead to you needing to bug out. Some of them are direct consequence of the event (house will be under flood waters, in the path of the erupting volcano, etc etc), others may be more indirect.

For example, if the time after the event is going to be long term inhospitable, even should your house survive (such as you will be cut off by flood waters, trapped in a contaminated zone, the town burns down but your neighborhood survives, etc etc) it might be better to ride the entire event out elsewhere.

If you prep, you really should have a plan (and preparations) for the need to bug out.

And, again, I personally plan to BUG IN for most events.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Bug in vs. Bug out ?
My solution is to prep for both possibilities.
The house has a walk out basement with a garage door opening.
That opening is covered with a hinged, insulated, plywood plug.
Hidden behind that opening is a 1998 C2500 that is fully stocked.
If I need to bug in, we have access to the additional stores loaded on the Chevy.
If we need to bug out in a planned manner, I load a cooler onboard and additional ammo, lift/support the plug, pull out the pick up and secure the house, lock the front gate, and away we go.
If it is an emergency getaway, throw the BOB backpack on the seat, unlock the
plug's quick release and just drive out with minimal truck damage. Lights off, out the
back gate.
Both bug out and bug in need to be planned for.

·
Registered
604 Posts
>>As far as I know, no one knows I have hoards of food and ammo. <<
&#55357;&#56833; They do now.

We are staying as long as we can, and will probably not do well if we have to scramble. I'm getting older and stamina fails. My wife is very mobility impaired, and i won't abandon her, regardless of my own safety. Our area is lightly forested, so if it's a wildfire, there's really no place to go.

We put away stores, and can probably carry ten days of food, but we would have to find water. We really have no place to go, so it boils down to either God helps and protects us, or we die. We're comfortable with that.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not going any where. Everything I need is right here. I'm not a hoarder as much as a gatherer. I have 29 acres and water.

I'm 10 miles from a small town, and 70 miles from a mid size town. I don't have to worry about the hoards as I'm surrounded by NF and some huge ranches. I have the whole Black Hills between me and the mid size town. The smaller town is surrounded by property as good if not better then mine. Some of the largest herds of deer/antelope in the country. Plus elk and mountain sheep near by. Not to mention small game, turkeys and doves.

Tons of eatable plants or I could grow some. Endless supply of fire wood or tons of coal near by. A fishing lake near by.

I have the tools and other equipment I need, including a machine shop, and two generators if I loose power.

If I had to hide or hunker down I have caves on my property completely hidden.

About the only thing I hoard is reloading components. To the point I could barter ammo if I need something else.

If God forbid, my house burns down I have two alternative places to live, winter or summer right hear on my place, plus the means to build another house.

I grew up poor with out indoor plumbing and water, plus I spent two years in the Alaska Bush where I built my own cabin and kept my wife and two toddlers warm, dry and fed. I taught Arctic Survival while in the AK NG and spent time living with the Alaska Natives on the Bering Sea as a Company Commander of an Native NG Unit. Over the years I've picked up enough skills to get me by.

I see no reason for me to go anywhere. Plus I am so backlogged on my books I would never get board.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have read many articles where bugging out is recommended but I disagree unless it's fire, flood, or the house is destroyed, tornado or earthquake I'm staying. If you have been storing supplies unless you have a semi truck you can't take them and to bug out to the woods with winter coming you'll never survive. And if you do the chances are good someone will find you and then it's 50/50 they will be friends or foe, if you are unable to actually construct a fortified position your toast. I have been talking to some neighbors and friends about this and been involved in a discussion on this forum with people just in this state which I highly recommend get to know who could be your friends around your area. They might not be able to come running to your aid but strength in numbers and a large group would make it easier to help each other survive. plan how you can reinforce your doors and you can get plywood sheets cut them to your windows and have them ready to screw them to the walls. A couple of dogs is the best alarm system also. Hopefully it won't come to this and we will have lots of stuff we will use anyway and a bunch of new friends.

·
What would Mal do
4,992 Posts
moccasin's reply basically mirrors what i had planned to post.

I chose to move out of the city limits, to be in the country just a bit ,know my neighbors, keep as much opsec about our preps as possible...and be prepared to shelter in place while anarchy hits the city streets, miles from us.

weather events, social events, etc...we can ride out those here.

disaster events (wildfire, industrial, etc)..those can still make us have to leave.

for that we have a travel trailer, plans to load prepacked supplies quickly and bug out int fairly decent shape...but this assumes a localize disaster that means we are fleeing to a location that is still normalized.

if the whole country is melting down...grid failure, foreign attack, aliens landing on the whitehouse lawn (grin)..we will stay put cause there won't be any place better to go to.

but i think this forum is just urging you to consider the many other scenarios that can force you to evac....prep for those as well.

I have basicall a 3 phase plan

Level 1 - wake up middle of the night, house is dark, smoked filled, fire all around or bad industrial and seconds count: Wife in one hand, go bag in the other...in the truck and run

Level 2 - 10 mins : includes level 1 obviously, plus prepacked supplies in tubs that we can throw in the bed of the truck and run.

Level 3 - half hour or more : all of above and then hitch to the travel trailer which is always preloaded with clothes, food, other supplies plus whatever we feel we have time to add to it.

good example - the current forest fires that are hours from us at the moment, yet the smoke from them fills our air and reminds us of the danger.
if a fire was blazeing out of control just a couple miles from our house and looked to be heading our way... that would be plenty of time for us to basically turn our travel trailer into a a moving truck... jewelry, guns and ammo, all our main clothes...things that we don't want to loose to the fire and things that allow us to function normally when we get to safety and hope that we have a home to return to.
I'm fortunate to also have a second truck and a 6x12 tandem cargo trailer...we could load a lot of extra items into that given time...

head to family out of the area and hold up til the fire is done...

several friends i know, this past hurricane..basically turned it into a week's vacation in the mountains..they made a reservation at a nice campground, loaded up and left the coast til it was safe to return.

·
More than .0001%
1,479 Posts
I'm also with the bug-in group. Besides having nowhere better to go, everything I need is in my cinderblock home. We live in a retirement community 1.5 miles off the public road with a clear open field view 360 around our community. We have organized groups of retired nurses, emergency trained people, ex-military, food service with large professional kitchen that feeds hundreds, swimming pools for water, etc.. Can you imagine what would happen if a group tried to trespass, take food and supplies from a armed community of cranky, retired, people! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bug in to

Myself i will bug in to...i live in the backwoods. Have two wells, plus stream and river close by. More than enuff wildlife than i would need. And more ammo and guns than i would want to say.
So i am not leaving. From home base i can pick off from any way something should come my way. Unless the air i breath is bad i will die here protecting my home. So i am for bug in..!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Disease is something you do not want to fail to consider. Have the right event, massive casualties, many many unburied rotting corpses. Disease will be carried by animals, birds, and insects. Common housefly can range 5 miles. What's upstream of that running water, stream, or river ? Unless that stream originates on your property, it's probably a liability vs. asset. Those water filters do not filter chemicals, heavy metals.

Plus, nobody can stay awake 24/7. As long as the roads are open, and fuel is available, remote can be reached. After that goes, risk level decreases a great deal.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.