Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tin Can Sailor
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my thoughts, and how I define some common terms;

Shelter - Anywhere that you live (or can hole up) that is not self sustaining in the long run after the fact, such as an apartment in the city.

BOL - Location where you are self sustaining in the long run.

BOV - Vehicle that you can use to evacuate, bug out, or use as a mobile shelter.

Bugging out - Having to leave your BOL due to reasons beyond your control (i.e., fire, flooding, large armed group, etc).

Evacuate - Moving from shelter to your BOL.

Bugging in should be done at your BOL, which should be your primary plan & residence. If you live in a shelter, you should evacuate as soon as it's evident that the S will HTF. It would be good to have an secondary BOL or a hardened & stocked shelter if you need to bug out.

For most situations, a shelter is all you will need for situations such as losing power for a few days, road closures due to washouts/mudslides, etc. A BOV will get you through regionalized situations such as hurricanes, flooding, or rioting (LA after the Rodney King verdict) by allowing you to get to a safe area, usually on one tank of fuel.

A BOL like most people here talk about is only truly needed for a national or global SHTF or end of the world situation.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
did you have a question? did you want others to use your definitions?

It's fine that you think the way that you do, but I wouldn't apply your thinking to everyone else's situation. For example, you make bugging-in at a non-BOL sound wrong. And you make bugging-out for less than teotw sound like a mistake.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
A BOL like most people here talk about is only truly needed for a national or global SHTF or end of the world situation.
That statement is really depends upon what you want to be prepared for.

As an owner of a BOL I can think of many reasons to own one besides a national/global SHTF situation.

What if our primary residence burns down?

What if I become unemployable? Our BOL is fully paid for and in the country, but our primary residence is in the burbs and has homeowner dues, higher taxes, higher insurance, etc.

We live in a hurricane area. Hurricanes have come through where our primary location resides, but not at our BOL.

There are many more reasons and my wife and I went through most of them together. Since we don't have money to throw away it was a big decision that really had to be rationalized.

Different people prepare for different reasons, so it's really hard to apply a blanket statement.

·
One Cool Shooter
153 Posts
When your bug in and your bug out is your bug location then you are at the safest place. To determine if your bug location is safe, you may need to conduct a risk assessment, and develop a risk plan.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
I would disagree on the definition of a BOL. In your case, you have a BOL-like BIL or bug in location. I would say a bug out location would be more of a back up plan when you BIL becomes compromised.

My BIL is my home in rural Arizona. My BOL is located in some mountains that require some travel. I have picked 3 different preplanned routes with intermediate temporary BOLs on the way.

The way you put your thoughts suggest that your preps are very rigid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts