Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you've decided to bug in and lay low. You live in the 'burbs, homes are right on top of one another. If the SHTF, chances are the trash man is not coming around on his daily route.

What do you do about all of the trash that you will generate during the consumption of your stores of food? Seems like this is a pretty big operational security issue if you plan on staying out of sight. You've got evidence that you have food that needs to be gotten rid of, do you try and discretely burn it?

What do you guys think? Keep in mind I have high density single-family home suburbs in mind, 7,000 s.f lots, not acre lots.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
If you are able to store your preps out of site, shouldn't you be able to also store the used containers out of site as well? The space freed up by using an item could be used to store the empty container after use.

This does not take into account the fact that you can't keep empty food cans around for weeks on end since they will eventually start to rot and stink.

You could probably make weekly "dump runs" at night to get rid of your trash. As long as you take care to dump it far enough from your home, it shouldn't draw unwanted attention.

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
That really is a good question, I would think that a night run would be a good idea, I think burning might be a bad idea as the smell and smok or light from the fire will draw attention, If you think the smell won't your wrong, Over here in baghdad I can smell the burning trash usually before I can spot the smoke or fire, and smoke can be seen from a long distance, also it might be harmful for you and your family to be around or breath some of what you might be burning, keep that in mind.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
Once the first neighbor leaves start using their house to dump your trash at night.

Or put it in your attic, extra bedroom, basement, etc until another option opens up.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
I live in the burb's on an 8,000 sq ft lot, with neighbors all around, so this is a real concern for me. My plan is to dump the trash somewhere else whenever possible and feasible. That includes dumping stuff into the rainstorm pipes. If dumping is not possible, then:
1. If it can be burnt inside, use the fireplace (note to self: have it cleaned and tested as it has not been used for years).
2. If it cannot be burnt inside due to safety or smell issues, burn it outside.
3. If for some reason it will not burn or a fire cannot be made, dump it or bury it on the edge of my backyard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is all the more reason why one should use biodegradable products pre and post shtf. If it is biodegradable you can bury it and maybe even use it in your mulching process to provide crops with a good topsoil if you have your own garden. So start now, don't stock up on or start using items that are non-biodegradable.

If you have cardboard boxes for many of your surplus preps, use it in your mulching. http://perrone.blogs.com/horticultural/2008/02/i-recently-had.html

If you currently buy paper plates and cups, don't use them any longer unless you plan to use them for mulch. Even though plastic is stronger it takes way to long to degrade if it ever will, so I say don't use them. Better yet start using that china set for something other then showing off. Sure you may have to wash dishes, but think about how much trash you'll be cutting down on, thus making your ability to lay low that much easier.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Thoroughly wash out your cans and used food packages and then put them back in your food storage area.

In a crisis situation there will probably be no public waste disposal so there will be a lot of rubbish around anyway, it should be quite straightforward to avoid attention from your rubbish with a bit of basic sense.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
What do you do about all of the trash that you will generate during the consumption of your stores of food?
Just put it right back where it came from. The empty container you now have is going to take up less space than when it had food in it. Most people's cache is full of dry stuff anyway, you don't even have to wash the empty packaging for it to be clean enough to store in your house. :thumb:

edit: I see the others had this same thought, sorry for any duplicates. :)

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
If you currently buy paper plates and cups, don't use them any longer unless you plan to use them for mulch. Even though plastic is stronger it takes way to long to degrade if it ever will, so I say don't use them. Better yet start using that china set for something other then showing off. Sure you may have to wash dishes, but think about how much trash you'll be cutting down on, thus making your ability to lay low that much easier.
I've been buying paper plates just for when the *HTF; I figure I'd rather have stuff I can burn or use as mulch than use precious water to wash dishes. As for cans, throw them judiciously around the neighbourhood under cover of darkness to give the area that "Zombies have already passed through here " look. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If you're trying to lay low in your urban environment, you could begin a compost pile now, research worms, for your degradeable waste - which is the usual source of smell. Rinsing the used tuna can out in the compost dirt is less consumptive than using water. There is always a use for the packaging ... plastic wrappers are good for a sucking chest wound. Paper burns, metal of any kind can be reworked for other purposes.

Don't forget human waste in this equation.

·
www.GuerillaTactical.com
1,446 Posts
Find uses for the waste. Plastic bags can be turned into cheap twine. Metal cans can be used to store things or used as security bells with trip line. compost any biodegradable stuff. what else is there? find uses for the trash rather than just tossing it.

Human waste gets pitched down the storm drain. Or can be used to process ammonium nitrate. Its also possible to dry your poo and burn it for fuel.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Throw the trash in the yard and make it look like your house has been looted.

Or, burn everything. Even burn the cans - this will stop flys from spreading diseases from the rotting food.

·
Threepin'
4,068 Posts
So you've decided to bug in and lay low. You live in the 'burbs, homes are right on top of one another. If the SHTF, chances are the trash man is not coming around on his daily route.

What do you do about all of the trash that you will generate during the consumption of your stores of food? Seems like this is a pretty big operational security issue if you plan on staying out of sight. You've got evidence that you have food that needs to be gotten rid of, do you try and discretely burn it?

What do you guys think? Keep in mind I have high density single-family home suburbs in mind, 7,000 s.f lots, not acre lots.
burn it or use it as bait for undesirables.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts

I doubt trash generation will be a major problem. After all, if you've got the room for food stocks now, you'll have the same room to store the trash after you've eaten the food. Sanitation, both from the disposal of sewage (in the event that utilities stop working) and getting rid of food residue so as to not attract vermin, would be more difficult.

And one man's rash might be another man's treasure, especially in the complete collapse of society. That empty tin can or potato chip bag capable of becoming a water container might be valueable trade goods, in time.

The smell of food cooking, and smoke caused by burning wood or charcoal, might be a tip off, too. Or lights shining through th windows, if we're talking a total TEOTWAWKI scenario.

·
Quixote
67 Posts
1st lessons

The reality of any situation is to improvise a solution to the problem, i've taken the some steps to dealing with desposal of refuse, the thought being and make money in the process? It bares some examination, an oxyacetylene torch for cutting junk out of the picture, but what to do with the scrap metals: copper, zink, and tin are only usefull if someones willing to trade you for it and what's the point if the thing runs out? :mad: Fire's the point, burning brings out the luster in the metal structure, and its a lot of work processing the raw materials. :taped: But you might catch someone on a good day???

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts