Survivalist Forum banner
3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MadPrepper 
#1 ·
So most of you have seen my other thread on Bug Out vehicles and potential routes, thoughts, etc.

A number of you had good ideas about and for bugging in even with my so far stated worries. Here I will try to further explain my reasons for not wanting to bug in.

My house specifically there are multiple approach points from the front and front corners and even though my backyard is fenced.. the north side we are on the downhill slope so the fence is really just there to keep the dog in. Gaining entry to the yard from that side is a matter of leaping.

I have begun strengthening my door frames by use of enlarged striker plates made out of 304 stainless secured with 3.5 in stainless wood screws, as well as replacing the hinge screws with the same 3.5 inch versions. So far I have 2 out of 3 entry doors completed but the rear french door and the front bay window are my biggest concerns as far as security and bugging in. I got that idea after watching a video about the screws generally being the weakest points and how easy it is to kick in the normal residential door.

I have a plan involving some 1 - 2in holes, steel water pipe and the wooden window from on that bay window but it would only block large object from entering.. not small ones like rocks/bricks/Molotov cocktails, etc. My overall idea is to drill the holes in the upper and lower sections of the window frame on the inside then covering those holes with 1.5-1in x 6 board until needed. Once needs I could easily pry the board off and slide the precut steel pipe into place in effect barring the window. Now lie I said above this would only keep a body from entering but I guess that's the most important thing right?

Behind the house is a rather large kudzu laden gully.. size would probably be 100 yards from North to South rims, and roughly 100 feet deep. So that's a good natural barrier itself although it does make a retreat from the rear almost impossible as well.

To try to help my explanations about worry I am close to 32*15'54 90*54'51
As you can see, one way in.. one way out surround by (holy sh_t I never counted before!) 100 houses.

All of this on top of the fact that I will be the primary security force. The wife can shoot and I really believe she wouldn't have problem putting a hole in a threat.. however I cannot rely on her to be able to focus on physical security with 3 children in tow. my son is 10.. I could potentially 'train' him as an alerter but there again IDK to what level I could trust him with our safety just because of his age.

Anyway I tried to not compose a novel here.. there's just so much information to go over and process on this topic.

See less See more
#5 ·
Our first week here someone walked off with a cardboard box that was sitting against the house in my carport. The box contained nothing but a ratty old quilt that I had had as a child.. was sort of planning on tossing it anyway but that';s not the point.

Then a couple years later, one morning after I had left but before the wife took the kids to school my son (7 at the time) said a "dark person' opened the carport door, saw him and left. That must have been a kid or some person under the age of 18 I'm betting.. but to blatantly walk into someones house like that in day light?

One night about 2am a couple years ago i happened to walk by a window brushing my teeth and watched a guy walking up the street make a left hand turn into the neighbors Tahoe. I called the cops while he was rummaging through the console. 48 minutes later they show up, I ID the piece of sh1t and he goes to jail for $40.

So yeah I don't think I'm over doing it.

#3 ·
If it's raiders you're concerned with, I don't want to burst your bubble too much but unless your home is fireproof, you have that to consider.

There are very few homes where I live that aren't vulnerable to a molotov cocktail tossed under a porch or against a side of the house where flames will wick up into the eaves and ultimately the attic.

It's tough to defend a home against a determined attacker. Even those who have firing slits are vulnerable. I can easily shoot through a 4" hole at 100 yards using my scoped M4, which is not even all that accurate a platform at distance anyway. Anyone shooting through a firing slit will be vulnerable to someone shooting at that slit from cover.

And even if you have you and your wife, when are you going to sleep? Can you cover all sides of your house with just one person (assuming the other is sleeping)?

Since you mention neighbors, I think much of your plan should include including them in defense plans. Maybe not before (OPSEC!), but certainly if TSHTF, you need more people to help keep watch and be a larger deterrent force.

My 2 cents.

#4 ·
In my city, bars on windows are so common that they're almost considered jewelry for the house. They're quite decorative, not like the bars on a bank or jail.

You can attach wire fencing to the bars with the fencing connected at each bar and arcing outward between them sort of like a pillow. It's springy enough to repel a bottle without breaking it. That ends the molotov cocktail through the window worries. Though the roof is still a big target if it's flammable.

My last home was made of adobe and had a spanish tile roof, barred windows, and a stucco exterior. It would have been all but impervious to molotov cocktails. Chain link fencing also helps keep people at a bit of a distance. At least enough to not have them coming up to the door, which can be a big threat.

Installing the wire fencing onto the window bars takes a few hours, but it's good to have on hand in case you ever need it. A firebomb through my window was something that worried me.

One big problem with bugging in is having enough people to keep an effective security watch full time.

#8 ·
I grew up in EP, and I can tell you for a fact that I don't envy you facing what we are going to go through in that place. It was bad enough back in the day...can't imagine it now...

Actually, it's funny. I lived in EP when Jimmy Carter tried to collapse the economy. I can remember stacks of price tags on products because inflation boosted the price many times before the items actually sold. Now it's all electronic...sometimes they don't even bother to change the price at the shelf.

#6 ·
I used to live in a neighborhood like you describe.

I endured first petty theft and escalations up to home invasion. Then 4 hurricanes hit within 44 days time. That is when folks got really dangerous.

My eventual solution was to move. I was single and did not know how many more confrontations I could survive. It was the best thing I ever did and wish I had done it sooner.

Best of luck to you.

#7 ·
Thanks.. Back when we caught our part of Katrina, we lost electricity of course and water. We did not lose natural gas which was cool. However for a solid 5 days prior to landfall you could not find bottled water and if you needed gas you were waiting in line up to 3 hours. Hell some people ran out of gas in the line waiting for gas. It was unreal. Not a single hotel room to be had anywhere and traffic out the bung.

I worked in town for the Corps back then so I had two free cases of MRE's and a few cases of water just in case. My neighborhood didn't get bad as most hood rats can't swim, but it wasn't very hot then either. We were without power for about 6 days total and for three of those is rained. We lost a few trees nearby but no property damage of our own. But we've wanted out ever since we moved here and the first employer that bites on my resume we are gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.