Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone. You have to do this. It was a great experience and we learned valuable lessons.
If you are planning on bugging out, practice letting your wife, GF, etc. doing it alone for awhile!
My husband and I ran a scenario and was an amazing experience. Here is how it started. Hey honey, let's go camping at the BOL. :)
So think about it, if you have to bug out, what percent of all of us will be all sitting here at the house,. just waiting to go? Everything I see is the man doing this, and the women doing that. Well, I did it myself for 6 hours.
As soon as I came up with the idea, it was bug out time for me. (My hubby may not be home when I have to GTFO)! So I grabbed everything I could think of and carry. I thew clothes in a suitcase, got the solar oven, grabbed what I could from the freezer and fridge, and emptied my cabinets (I always keep empty boxes. I grabbed my wise dehydrated food, and bedding (forgot pillows). Next came the weapons and ammo. I got the pistols and ammo, and grabbed the Remington 870 12gauge (because it has tatical lights and stuff) and the ammo for it. I grabbed both our holsters, knives, and water pack.
I also grabbed all of my gallon jugs of water that I have filled and threw ice in the coolers and left (trying not to let the neighbors see me.) I also have a couple of milk jugs of water frozen in the freezer all of the time. Grabbed all meds and suppliments, along with the EP box of various stuff.
I did stop by a store that was 1 1/2 miles from my house, got ice and bolted :) Just to practice stopping with all of my gear to see what happened.
So it takes 55 minutes to get to our bug out location, and It did take me about 10 minutes to get in because of the locks (hubby usually does this) I learned by having to do this myself. tricky
So we had a pack, no communication but once and no cell phones (If I called him, it would be an emergency and he would answer, for safety) :). The only other person that knew we were going was my FIL, and he did not know what we were doing, just going camping.
So I got to our BOL at 5:15 in the evening. Now time for me to figure out what I needed to do. Electric was first, generator second, communications and cameras, etc next). (I had no idea how to do it all because hubby always does this) I was relying on myself and needed to figure it all out alone. Great experience! It did take me a few times and trial and error but I got it all done.
next I pulled out my solar over, put some BBQ in it and started unpacking the vehicle. I drove around the BOL about 3 times, eating sandwiches and checking the perimeter (I didn't want to just rely on only cameras), and yes, I had my side arm!
Next, I had to check out the underground BOL site and that was a little earie, but I handled it. I had a downed tree in the path and I'm glad I remembered the saw, So I had to cut that up and get it off of the roadway. One of the branched smacked me in the head and knocked my sun glasses off, hitting me below the eye brown. First aid it is!
So I continued also spotting for the wild boar, deer, turkey, rabbits, and armadillos. :) That is when I realized I wish I should have grabbed the 30-06!
So as darkeness fell, I was still alone and decided to eat my BBQ, so I did. I have the radio going, the lights on, etc! Then I thought (what am I doing) I need to act like no one is here, I am a women here alone! So off when the lights, radio, etc. The moon was very bright so I sat at the table outside, waiting.
Here is a lesson, take more than one spotting light. When I got there, mine didn't work!
Now, I did not know if I would hear from hubby or if he would just show up, and from what direction. CB on, and nothing until 9pm. He calls, ok, he is on his way up. That should be about an hour. He tried to trick me. It was 2 1/2 hours before he shows up, and I'm getting worried, real worried. THIS WAS MY MOST VALUABLE LESSON! Don't go looking for him! I sure wanted to !!!!! I almost did and then I realized, what if I did not find him and I had to come back to the dark alone. Someone could have been there, wild animals, etc. He said that was a good decision, because even if her was on his way during a SHTF, it may take him awhile, and If I were gone when he got there, then what? BUT i was really worried and I almost went.
So, I drove around, checking perimeters, spot lighting (with a small light) etc. and watching. There is only one direction in or out of our 400 acres by car. But I though he might try sneaking up on me too.
As I said, 2 1/2 hours later i see car lights in the dirt road in the distance. I think, oh good, it is him. Then I think, ****, it could be anyone, so I jumped in my suv and headed for the gate (lights off) with my guns and pepper spray. :) I hit my bright lights, turned on the fog lights, and put the Expedition right up against the gate, LOL.
So, my hubby arrived at the above ground camp at about 11:30 pm. He asked me "couldn't you figure how the electricity?" I went in and flipped on the light switch. I told him I didn't want to draw attention to myself :) He was very impressed.
I have to say, this was a great experience for both of us. I am part native american, a veteran, and grew up hunting and fishing all of my life, but I'm not sure my hubby thought I could do it all. I proved to myself and him that I could do it and not be scared to do it alone.
Now, I'm not saying for everyone to go to all of these extremes because I have always been an outdoorswomen! Not to mention a paramedic and firefighter, but even if you go with the women in your life. Stand there and make her do it all, make her drive, just be there to for moral support if she gets scared, but don't do anything, let her learn!
I think it was good practice because if you are in an extreme situation because the SHTF, your adrenalin will be pumping! DON'T let that be the first time you do it alone or do it yourself!
On a side note, I have been to our BOL many, many times over the years and I realized, I NEVER had driven it myself. My hubby always drove, so that was great too.
Thoughts, ideas???

·
Registered
343 Posts
If I am outside I don't need to go check, I can hear when the animals are alerted. You will get that way too with experience. I would not, but if I did, I would bait you into looking for Me so I could ambush you in the dark. Be the ball!!!!!! NANANNNNNN (caddyshack)

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, I have had at least 36 years of experience :) It wasn't about that with the animals. I have a 400 acre ranch and a farm. I can tell you when it is going to rain. LMAO :) I was checking because technology may go down, storms, etc may take everything down. (EMP, fire) and 100 other things. If you can know by sitting in one location on 400 acres what the animals are all doing, then good for you, I'm not sitting and listening when I had to much ground to cover.
Secondly, I really doubt if you would bait me into looking for you, all I would do is go underground. hehe

·
Shhh!! what was that!!
138 Posts
Impressive and good practice.

A couple of question,

How long did it take you to get ready to bug out?

Why aren’t BOB’s pre-packed at your house?

Make a check list so you don’t forget things.

Learn from your mistakes and have hubby give you a no notice drill to see how well you learn. DO the same with him.

Final question, you guys need a extra hand on that 400acre?? Lol JK you guys enjoy!

God Speed

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It took about 45 minutes to do it myself
I do have BOB's and GHB already packed. The GHB's are in the vehicles at all times, I put the BOB's in the vehicle with me.
Have a check list, thanks. Because I have shovels, etc to get, not to mention chickens, which I FORGOT!!!!!!!
LOL, drilling each other is an awesome idea! Thanks!!!!
Only if you bring my brother with you, he is in KY too :)

·
Shhh!! what was that!!
138 Posts
It took about 45 minutes to do it myself
I do have BOB's and GHB already packed. The GHB's are in the vehicles at all times, I put the BOB's in the vehicle with me.
Have a check list, thanks. Because I have shovels, etc to get, not to mention chickens, which I FORGOT!!!!!!!
LOL, drilling each other is an awesome idea! Thanks!!!!
Only if you bring my brother with you, he is in KY too :)
You know us Kentuckians. "A stranger is only a friend you haven't met" YOu guys keep it up.

Try putting things in plastic countainers and just pull them out and ready to go.

My BOL has everything i need on site, just in case. I just use my GHB or BOB to get me there.

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree. I have allot of things at the BOL already. I saw exactly what I needed to leave there and what I didn't need. BTW, I'm getting a seining net for sure :)
I lived in KY for a couple of years and graduated High School there. Man, that would be a long way for you to come here to Bug out, hehe
Contact my brother :) he taught me 90% of what I know, and by far the best fisherman I know. He bow hunts as well as his many weapons. LOL

·
Registered
663 Posts
That is great, thanks for sharing. My only question is, is that really your BOL? Only 55 minutes away? Or do you not live in the city to begin with and it's 55 minutes from somewhere already kind of rural?

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
first, do NOT use a highlighter when checking off items from your checklist.
Not to worry so much about freezer food. I have 1 year of stored items.
DON'T forget the chickens and get another fishing net to catch them if it is daylight
Keep quite and keep the lights off
Take the rifles and ammo
I made a list of everything I needed to do as far as Electricity, etc. So I don't forget.
I forgot to turn the water well on at first (before the electric fence) so I added that to my list. I realized it when I didn't have water :) Had to backrack
Take more things to the BOL instead of THINKING that I am going to get it all myself.
Don't pack the cooler until it is in the SUV, it was heavy.
Leave the Bikes as the BOL (which I did)
Don't sweat the small stuff. So you don't have your favorite pillow, no big deal!
Get more spot lights and leave some there
I left the bedding there, I have plenty at home
Take other things like board games, more citronella candles, and 55 gallon drums of water up there now .
Lay my seat down in the expedition!!!!! I almost didn't have room.
Use different bug spray for my hubby, he was ate up with chiggers
Check into getting an ice machine at the BOL just in case.
Realized that i could NOT carry as much as I thought I was going to be able to when my hubby was not with me.
Thank you for asking. You really made me think!

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Great job. The things I would do from this are:

1. Practice packing the boxes just on their own until you can do it as quick as possible.

2. Practice packing up the car, and then practice 1 and 2 together.

3. Do things without the electricity or light and see if you can.

4. Pack and repack the BOB, GHBs just to see how quickly you can do it plus it helps you memorzse where everything is.

5. For the next practice don't include your husband at all.

6. Get another favourite pillow/cushion and have that already at the BOL. It's import to remember you will need comfort food and the like to help with your psychology.

7. Take a flask of hot food/coffee/tea with you if you can this will also help your psychology.

8. Get your husband to do the whole thing on his own as well, once with you arriving and another with you not but don't tell him which.

9. If you have pets remember those as well.

10. Remember you can do all this with visualisation if its not convient to do it at that time.

11. Above all practice it in all weathers.

Great job it has given me lots of ideas!

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
You don't have a sister looking for a man do you?

Wow, I don't know where you guys are meeting all these capable women. I am lucky when I find one that does not need a set of jumper cables to keep her brain from shutting down.

Great job, and a good lesson for men and women alike.

Everyone should try this sort of practice run.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,553 Posts
Good job and people never get enough practice especially when it comes to survival.

I have posted before and I really believe that all the good women are taken already. I am sure there are some very good single women survivalist / preppers out there but I have not heard of any.

I dislike to criticize but hope you take this as constructive criticism. > It seems to me that electricity and the generator is a little too high of a priority. Since you said those were the First things you needed to do.

But on my remote "primitive" BOL / survival retreat I have different priorities such as water, shelter = tent etc. and I get a generator or for the last five years I have had solar power which I don't get going until after being up there for a day or two.

But it is great what you did post and everyone has different needs and priorities.

And this sentence is interesting from your post > "Next, I had to check out the underground BOL site and that was a little earie, but I handled it."

Especially at night an underground BOL could be a little scary but If people get used to it by actually using it then it becomes a common thing to do.

And I would Really like to see pics or more info on your underground BOL = which you actually mean a bunker or underground shelter of some kind?

Hope you have seen pics of some others underground shelters on the net, especially on this S-boards? Here is a long pic thread which has many many pics, videos and links to other people's bunkers, underground shelters etc. IF any out there are interested and somehow have not seen this > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

Hope to see more posts from you Marcie.

This supposedly Survivalist group truly needs more people like you although the "real" world needs you even more.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
You are what I would call a REAL prepper. It's easy to sit around dreaming up scenerios and buying this and that, When it comes down to doing it, you realize even the simpilist things need to be practiced.

I worked in Alaska for a few years. We had all had survival training, but one day the boss decided we should go out in the field and test the survival kits we all routinely carried. It was mid winter. We all learned a lot, and it was a GREAT CONFIDENCE BUILDER.

I tip my hat.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,779 Posts
Interesting story. A few comments:

First, I would not have bet that you could start up something in your solar oven at what by then was probably 5:45 or 6:00pm and have it effectively heat anything.

Second, putting food in a solar oven then leaving the campsite--I would think that might well attract animals.

Third, for what were you checking the perimeter so many times? What did you expect to find? And what would you have done about it?

Fourth, your story indicates you're overly reliant on both electricity and ice, IMO.

Fifth, I'm not getting something--you're driving around the perimeter, which of course advantages anyone hiding and watching you, as you won't see nor hear them, but they'll see and hear you. What for?

Sixth, "next I pulled out my solar over, put some BBQ in it and started unpacking the vehicle. I drove around the BOL about 3 times, eating sandwiches and checking the perimeter (I didn't want to just rely on only cameras)."

What was the BBQ for if you're eating sandwiches? And where did the sandwiches come from? Were they pre-made, did you make them at the BOL or before you left for it? I'm sure you didn't stop to make sandwiches before you left, so something here is a bit fishy to me.

I'm all for the value of practice, but there are some...odd things in your account.

Reactions: ozboy
1 - 20 of 65 Posts