Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are stuck in the woods in the summer without bug spray, what field expedient ways do you have to keep the bugs away that actually work.

Or if it is TEOTWAWKI and you can no longer but OFF, what concoctions can you make from natural materials that will work?

I have found a wide brimmed hat will help reduce the number of deer flies that land on me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Once you have been bitten enough by mosquitos, you build up a resistance to them. As a kid growing up in the bush, I never noticed them. Now, I use a bug screen hat and wear gloves. Building up immunity is a pain. You simply have to take a hammer after horse and deer flies or coat yourself in thick mud or carry a brushy tree branch to keep them away.

·
Golfer
4,573 Posts
Once you have been bitten enough by mosquitos, you build up a resistance to them. As a kid growing up in the bush, I never noticed them.
Interesting. I see contestants on Naked & Afraid totally covered by bites on Day 2 but then after a few days, don't say much about them. IDK why, though.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If you are stuck in the woods in the summer without bug spray, what field expedient ways do you have to keep the bugs away that actually work.

Or if it is TEOTWAWKI and you can no longer but OFF, what concoctions can you make from natural materials that will work?

I have found a wide brimmed hat will help reduce the number of deer flies that land on me.
Very good question!

What part of the world are we talking about?

I always wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt and a wide brim hat and high top boots in the woods. I don’t get mosquito bites or ticks, or scratched up arms and legs, or sunburned.

Bugs don’t like cedar. Might be coincidence, but if I’m in a lot of sage, there’s not as many bugs. Maybe they don’t like sage.

I’m going to experiment some with that. Maybe boil some evergreen needles, or some sage. Very good question! (I know, I said that twice)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Long clothes. I'll wear a long base later shirt and that seems to help, no matter the weather conditions. Obviously not cotton.

Like OddDuck, i might start wearing gloves all the time. I have an annoying bite in my hand right now.
Wearing gloves most of the time is a good idea, even if there weren’t any bugs. Injuring your hand would be a bummer, if you couldn’t just drive home.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Was talking about this with my neighbor. We can sit side-by-side, and I will be covered with mosquitos, but there are none on him. He says he's never been bothered by them.
We can't figure out why. He thought it might be because he's part Cherokee. Maybe over the centuries of living in the south, they have developed something that repels mosquitos.
Anybody else have an idea?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Was talking about this with my neighbor. We can sit side-by-side, and I will be covered with mosquitos, but there are none on him. He says he's never been bothered by them.
We can't figure out why. He thought it might be because he's part Cherokee. Maybe over the centuries of living in the south, they have developed something that repels mosquitos.
heard on a discussion about studies that 0 blood type is their preferred choice

·
Registered
196 Posts
Purely antidotal, I gave up booze of any kind a couple months ago, use to be a mosquito magnet, wife not bothered by them while I was covered, now, same location, they don’t bother me.

PS, I was a daily liquor drinker.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,317 Posts
Make friends with dragon flies.

I've heard the wax myrtle thing. I have a huge one in my backyard. Does nothing. I haven't tried mashing it up though.

A powerful fan will cut down on the skeeters. especially if you put a screen in front of it to catch them.

When I take Ivermectin, they seem to avoid me for about a week. If they bite me, they will die.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Purely antidotal, I gave up booze of any kind a couple months ago, use to be a mosquito magnet, wife not bothered by them while I was covered, now, same location, they don’t bother me.

PS, I was a daily liquor drinker.
Me too. ‘Bout 2 1/2 years ago. It’s worth it.

Mosquitoes never have bothered me very much, though. They’re not too bad where I hang out. Not like Louisiana or Alabama, I imagine. I’ve heard Alaska and Canada stories. I bet some places, you have to plan ahead because of them.

Still, it would surely be worthwhile to figure out if there’s some plant or something around here to keep mosquitoes off. I’m going to try Juniper or cedar needles, boiled or smashed into a paste.

If it don’t work, I can use it in my armpits. Because they need something, after 3 or 4 days.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'm like your wife, bugs rarely bother me. For what it is worth, I do drink beer on a daily basis. We have citronella bushes which seem to help for those that bugs like.
Probably it’s the secret ingredient in your brew. Patent worthy, maybe? Heineken would pay handsomely.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have one of the creams without DEET, seems they have rosemary oil and some other oils. We run lots of rosemary for potatoes/meat anyhow, may get out the mortar and grind some up later as a test. But, for 20 bucks you can buy a few years' supply.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
This is odd, I'm not usually bothered by mosquitoes. I get one or two here and there on my arm, hand or leg, but if they get to my ankles, forget it. I have hundreds on my ankles and not a one anywhere else. My wife laughs at me if I know I am going somewhere that I have a chance of bites, I might have shorts, sleeveless shirt and combat boots. Fricken things hurt.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts