Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking into firearms that The wife and I could legally have with us 24/7 and would best serve us in most situations. You never know when the SHTF, so I'm looking for the legal pistol without a pistol caliber.

Im considering 2 firearms to be carried at once: the Ruger Charger 22lr(based on the awesome 10/22) and the Taurus Judge .410 (there site is currently down but I'm looking for the longest possible barrel in there ultralight aluminum frame category). I have a Mossy 12 at the ready in the bedroom, but I cant be close for more than half the day.

The Charger would wear a Blackhawk Axiom stock with single point sling:
http://www.bljsselfdefense.com/blackhawk-axiom-r-f-ruger-22-charger-stock-p906.html

and a hi desert dog sighted factory barrel(or possibly longer aftermarket for accuracy)
http://www.hi-desertdog.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=225

I would appreciate any positive critiques. Again a 22 and 410 on hand are better then a 223 in the closet any day.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Charger has always seemed to be the WORST possible .22 to carry.
Has none of the advantages of a .22 pistol OR .22 rifle.
Doesn't even have iron sights, so if your optic breaks you can only point and shoot.

Cool looking, though, I'll give it that.

Also, I'm sorry to say that IMNSHO, .410 is just about as worthless a choice of round that is made.
Pitiful performance for it's size. Especially out of a pistol. Extremely limited for game, even more so for social work.
.45 colt, while a hell of a round, is heavy, expensive, rare to replace, and overkill for most purposes.
And only 5 shots.

I'd rethink the whole thing.
Both guns are simply too big and heavy for what they can do.

- OS

·
Registered
345 Posts
IMHO Oh Shoot has nailed it and LD 50/50 is on target.

I am guessing that you don’t have much shooting experience and got sucked in by a couple of gun mag write ups and some cool advertising. There is a good reason why a dozen different companies are doing a brisk business in personal protection weapons chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W or .45ACP. They are by far the best tool for the job. I would suggest that you find a range that rents guns or better yet, take a personal protection class and revisit your decision process.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Plus the Judge with the long cylinders doesn't get the most out of either round. Barrel pressures, from what I have read, is messed up with both leaving each with sub-par performance.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I own the Judge and it's more a novelty gun then anything else. For carrying it's a compact .45 for me. But 9mm and .40 will also work well. For everyday carry you have to consider weight too. Full sized, double stacked, gun will weigh much more then a compact or subcompact.

And anything smaller then 9mm or a .38 just doesn't seem to have the needed power for self defense to me.

As far as a .22 all I have is a rifle. There may be good handguns in .22 but I think a cheap rifle would beat out any handgun for most small game hunting. Not possible to carry a rifle everywhere, everyday, but the trunk of a car can hold one no problem.

·
Μολὼν λαβ
280 Posts
My wife and I carry daily. I recommend a .38 revolver, .40 or .45 semi, or a .357 magnum revolver. Any firearm in these calibers or larger, offer very good self defense protection and stopping power. Hollow point bullets, HP's, increase your protection and stopping power.

I never carry anything less than a .40 or .357 mag. If someone carries a firearm for self defense, they carry it for a reason. ;)

Jamie45 makes a good point. Go to a range or a friend's private property, as we do, and practice with various firearms. Then make your choice. Any self defense protection is better than none, but if you are planning on carrying, make sure you are familiar with whatever firearm(s) you choose, and that you can accurately shoot them at 20 to 30 feet. Accurate means all rounds hit the target, within 2-3 inches of each other, and they hit center mass. Most encounters occur within 20 feet or less. ;) Then begin practicing at longer distances.

Good luck.

(Shoot a .357 mag and .44 mag a few times. You'll love 'em. ;) )

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello,
.... so I'm looking for the legal pistol without a pistol caliber.
Wow, all you guys were quick to give info on a "carry" pistol...and didn't even understand what the OP was asking about.

Do we know why he wants one w/o a pistol caliber? Nope not yet. Hopefully he will tell us. It might be because he is younger then 21 and can't buy pistol ammo in his state! Arizona was like that when I lived there...

I think the Charger is a good gun, and of those two you listed a charger would be my choice. But a .357 isn't just a "pistol" caliber because there are rifles chambered in .357..look at marlin for the .357 chambered rifle (and I'd say they're more common then the rifles chambered in 9mm, .40SW, or .45 - Keltec and beretta have rifles in these common "pistol" rounds). But I know you're asking for a pistol, but showing you examples of ammo that isn't just a "pistol" round.

Now to give you the advice you wanted we need to know why you don't want it to be a pistol round and what you're intentions are with this gun? Is it because you want something small and easy to carry for bugging out? Is it for game hunting after TSHTF?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not sure what you are going for here but I can give you my thoughts on the 22. I have a great 10/22 with a good deal of work and it is light and handy. The Charger is intriguing but I would opt for my Ruger MkII with it's 7" barrel. It is very accurate and much easier to conceal than the Charger. I can no see a reason in my personal scenarios where a hi-cap conceal gun like the charger would come into play. If you really want something to carry that isn't a pistol caliber look at the Keltec PLR-16.

·
Μολὼν λαβ
78 Posts
What's the question? You want a pistol, not pistol caliber?

Get an AK or AR pistol. The AR will have about 3 times as much ft/lbs as a .45 handgun. The AK, even more.

Not to mention the piercing capabilities.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Charger and am a big fan of that little gun. It is not an ideal defense gun but I don't think anyone here would want to be shot even by a 22. What it dose well is provide 22 rifle accuracy in a packable size. Great for survival in taking small to medium game. If it is for "Bugging Out" and on the move you won't want to waste your time on big game. The barrel with iron sights is a good idea incase something happens to your optics.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Charger has always seemed to be the WORST possible .22 to carry.
Has none of the advantages of a .22 pistol OR .22 rifle.
Doesn't even have iron sights, so if your optic breaks you can only point and shoot.

Cool looking, though, I'll give it that.

Also, I'm sorry to say that IMNSHO, .410 is just about as worthless a choice of round that is made.
Pitiful performance for it's size. Especially out of a pistol. Extremely limited for game, even more so for social work.
.45 colt, while a hell of a round, is heavy, expensive, rare to replace, and overkill for most purposes.
And only 5 shots.

I'd rethink the whole thing.
Both guns are simply too big and heavy for what they can do.

- OS
I tend to agree with all of this. The Charger is hard to shoot effectively offhand, which is where a pistol really shines. It's just too bulky, heavy and misbalanced. It's mostly a bench gun. A great alternative is the Ruger 22/45 with a Tactical Solutions aluminum barreled receiver. I have one set up like that and it's so light it feels like a toy. It's a joy to shoot offhand, and it's competition grade accurate. If you do your part you can headshoot squirrels at 50 yards all day long and hit surprisingly small targets at 100.

My feelings on the .410 revolver is that it's not really useful as a shotgun, so you might as well carry it loaded with .45 Colt. If you're going to carry it with pistol rounds, you might as well get a gun better suited to it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry, I'd have to agree with the rest.

Both the guns mentioned are novelty guns that won't perform their functions nearly as well as other weapons that are available for the same money. The only exception would be if you wanted to bug out with the charger instead of a full-length 10/22. I guess I might could see that...hmmm...maybe, probably not. Personally, I'd forgo both and get a .22 revolver or pistol. If I'm going to pack a rifle, I want a rifle's power. I've only got so many shoulders to hang rifles on. A .22 handgun can do about anything I'd do with a .22 rifle anyway (as could a good pellet gun for that matter). If you're going to pack the weight of a rifle, pack one that can do the job.

Tell us what you want to do with these critters. Are they for carry? Car guns? Bug out guns?

Doc

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
You want a small firearm with decent capacity? Go Glock 19 or even smaller the Glock 26. You get a 9 mm handgun with 15 rounds with the Glock 19. I carry a Glock 22C, a full size .40 caliber pistol, without any trouble. Glock 19s are even smaller and more easy to conceal.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
My solution:

Marlin 1894 lever gun in .357.
.357 mag revolver or Desert eagle .357 semi-auto.

The revolver and rifle can fire anything from ratshot to low energy .38s to Buffalo Bore heavy duty .357s that match a .30-30 in muzzle energy. They also and pass the "not-an-ugly-gun" test. The semi-auto is a bit more finicky in what it will eat and looks scary. Big advantage of only one caliber of ammo needed and it is fairly common. Makes reloading a lot easier too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello again all,

My reasononing is for having bug out weiopons with me 247 not personal defense. Yes a 9mm pluss would be great, but thats not what I am looking for or want. Nor did my first post say that. And I did post a link for a charger with a charger, with a factory barrel with smithed sights

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.