Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been plotting and scheming about a 'Bug-Out' Trolley of sorts... Especially for those in my 'team' who cannot comfortably carry all their gear... And possibly even for the opportunity to be able to carry/pull more gear.

I just think when you start dealing with distances that exceed 5km's, things like the weight you a carrying and/or items you are transporting become limited, especially when it's all on your back... :eek:

Here's a few 'pics' of what I've found... :thumb:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good idea,

For a while now I hve wanted to build one or two.
Reasoning to use them as a last resort (car fails exc) bugging out on foor with 3 kids will be rough.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something to consider is getting over fences, through gates, over/through rivers/streams and navigating difficult terrain... The trolley should be built in such a way that it affords one the ability to deal with most terrain challenges

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I believe Louie has something along these lines that he builds. I was interested but I did not get details yet. Does anyone else know? Right now I just have the rubbish bins on wheels. They are fairly decent to throw your stuff in and keep it from the elements, but clearly not designed for what the things you have shown are, but for R800 wht do you want?:D:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe Louie has something along these lines that he builds. I was interested but I did not get details yet. Does anyone else know? Right now I just have the rubbish bins on wheels. They are fairly decent to throw your stuff in and keep it from the elements, but clearly not designed for what the things you have shown are, but for R800 wht do you want?:D:
I have a supplier in Durban where those bins can be sourced for approximately R500.00, let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have a supplier in Durban where those bins can be sourced for approximately R500.00, let me know if you are interested.
Oh I have as many as I need currently and I got them on sale and before they were R800, so unfortunately it is too late for me. Thanks though.:)

·
it begins where it ends
774 Posts
This is my prototype I made. Its been well used and I'm truly impressed with the results in the field. It really is surprising what it's capable of in rough terrain. It can be assembled and disassembled without any tools.

These pics were taken on Wednesday after another 2 nights spent in the mountains with a full payload.

go wheel.png

go weel 4.png

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6093.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
Aluminum folding handtruck. If it has four wheels, you can also use it to transport a wounded person, or large furniture. Make sure the wheels are low noise in the street, and check the indicated maximum load.

Or you can use a bike or folding-bike as a trolley for luggage, while walking.

·
Hear me roar...
1,191 Posts
Aluminum folding handtruck. If it has four wheels, you can also use it to transport a wounded person, or large furniture. Make sure the wheels are low noise in the street, and check the indicated maximum load.

Or you can use a bike or folding-bike as a trolley for luggage, while walking.
Erm... I sincerely doubt that 'low-noise' wheels will make much of a difference, especially considering the amount of cursing, huffing and puffing you are going to be doing as soon as you leave the safety of the flat asphalt parking lot or your cement driveway and hit your first kerb or gutter.

I would love to see how that thing performs on a dirt/gravel road, through sand or mud or even across a flat field with grass clumps and a few stones or rocks... These types of trolley are designed for, and limited to, transporting your big chest freezer or your grannies old chest of drawers from the removal van in your driveway to the front door of your new home, nothing more.

"Bugging out" does not mean taking a stroll down the local boulevard along with the rest of the lemmings, so best you get that idea out of your head right now. :)

P.S. Welcome, Abraham5, to the South African section ;)

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts
Don't know if you have these over there but I use this to carry out deer if I ever get one. :D:

I like them better than single wheel units but the width can be a pain sometimes if in a heavy wooded area. The high tires help going over logs and such.

Look for game carts or deer carts. Though it wouldn't be to difficult to make.

·
it begins where it ends
774 Posts
Don't know if you have these over there but I use this to carry out deer if I ever get one. :D:

I like them better than single wheel units but the width can be a pain sometimes if in a heavy wooded area. The high tires help going over logs and such.

Look for game carts or deer carts. Though it wouldn't be to difficult to make.
I have experimented extensively with this trolley idea. I have tested mine over many km's and through various terrain...rocks, rivers, mountains, woods, mud, grass, loose sand etc. My conclusion is that it would have to be single wheel. Why you may ask? When navigating any tricky section eg. a river crossing over rocks, a trench, or a gap between 2 obstacles, you often only have one single path that the wheel can track to make it. Much like a 2 wheel dirt bike vs a quad bike. In many instances 2 wheels would simply not a) fit the gap b)track over the fallen tree log across the water c)allow a straight path over rocky or bushy terrain. Anything more than 1 wheel also increases resistance, which in turn burns more energy, leaving you more tired, thirsty and hungry.
2 wheels can work, but your restrictions will be exponentially more.

My 2c of experience. :thumb:

·
The Lieutenant
1,630 Posts
A game cart is a ready made answer. Or a "jogging" baby stroller with the 3 large wheels. Even a golf bag cart will do in a pinch. Only looking at all terrain types.
I have a game cart and I don't even hunt (currently).
I also have a large wheeled Rock N Roller collapsible cart for bigger loads but that would be a two person push through soft soil.

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts
I have experimented extensively with this trolley idea. I have tested mine over many km's and through various terrain...rocks, rivers, mountains, woods, mud, grass, loose sand etc. My conclusion is that it would have to be single wheel. Why you may ask? When navigating any tricky section eg. a river crossing over rocks, a trench, or a gap between 2 obstacles, you often only have one single path that the wheel can track to make it. Much like a 2 wheel dirt bike vs a quad bike. In many instances 2 wheels would simply not a) fit the gap b)track over the fallen tree log across the water c)allow a straight path over rocky or bushy terrain. Anything more than 1 wheel also increases resistance, which in turn burns more energy, leaving you more tired, thirsty and hungry.
2 wheels can work, but your restrictions will be exponentially more.

My 2c of experience. :thumb:
I agree with you on the wide part. Sometimes I need to go around trees growing to close together but with a single wheel I could pass thru.
I gain stability and lose access, at least that's how I feel.
How stable is the single wheel? I do have plans for a single wheel bike trailer.

Edit.
How much weight can you pack on the single wheel trolly? The type I posted is capable of 500lbs/227kilos

·
Registered
514 Posts
You could sleep in a large rubbish bin.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Erm... I sincerely doubt that 'low-noise' wheels will make much of a difference, especially considering the amount of cursing, huffing and puffing you are going to be doing as soon as you leave the safety of the flat asphalt parking lot or your cement driveway and hit your first kerb or gutter.

I would love to see how that thing performs on a dirt/gravel road, through sand or mud or even across a flat field with grass clumps and a few stones or rocks... These types of trolley are designed for, and limited to, transporting your big chest freezer or your grannies old chest of drawers from the removal van in your driveway to the front door of your new home, nothing more.

"Bugging out" does not mean taking a stroll down the local boulevard along with the rest of the lemmings, so best you get that idea out of your head right now. :)

P.S. Welcome, Abraham5, to the South African section ;)
Thanks. I like a bug out trolley, that is lightweight and small enough to take in a train, bus and small car. Hence my suggestion above.

·
Registered
514 Posts
There was a guy who was trying to get a company going some time back to make what he called the M.U.L.E. There was a thread about it in the main section I believe. It does not look like it really took off though because I cannot find much on it now.

https://gearjunkie.com/mule-backpack
This MULE would burden the spine too heavy IMO. So better attach the trolley to a waist belt.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've been plotting and scheming about a 'Bug-Out' Trolley of sorts... Especially for those in my 'team' who cannot comfortably carry all their gear... And possibly even for the opportunity to be able to carry/pull more gear.

I just think when you start dealing with distances that exceed 5km's, things like the weight you a carrying and/or items you are transporting become limited, especially when it's all on your back... :eek:

Here's a few 'pics' of what I've found... :thumb:

What do you guys think?
Old Dr Ray was all for such apparatuses once upon a time, if I am not mistaken. Not my cup of tea but who knows? Time will tell, I suppose.

More suited to the west-inland-central regions of South Africa, I should think...

·
‘n Boer maak ‘n plan
1,344 Posts
trollie klein.png
When you look at images of almost any war in the last 80 years you will see civilians walking out of cities because the roads are closed to motorized vehicles. The Yugoslav wars especially if you want to use one specific set of examples.

I read this thread ages ago and thought it was a great idea but never got around to it. Then recently I built this one.

I butchered my old box trolley and attached wheelchair wheels which took me quite a while to find (my wife thought I was mad). The nice thing is that the wheels cannot puncture since they are solid rubber. I have one spare rubber “tyre” and a set of normal pneumatic tyres, just need the tubes. I raised the axle so the “chassis” extends a bit below it so if I hit a rock it cannot impact directly in line with the axle, thus preventing bending the wheel. Those red bars (made from an old ironing board’s legs) are weed guards to keep sticks and tall grass away from the axle and spokes. The blue tub squeezes very tightly into a wood box frame that keeps it in place and you can pull it out if need be. I push it over easy terrain and pull it over the rough terrain.

I tested it on a fishing trip and loaded extra water, +-40kg, and it worked wonderfully (can probably load much more). I found it to be well balanced and difficult to tip over even when I tried.

The next step is to figure out some kind of harness and two poles that extend out so I can pull it in the same way as seen in some of the images posted on this thread.

Thanks Zulu, without this thread I would have never built it.

Edit: It is not that I choose to walk out, hell no, obviously I would choose to drive out, but if I am forced to walk out then a trolley is priceless.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts