Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have seen many things on all of the stuff to be taken in case shtf, but is there any place where we talk about the tools that we are going to take with us. I know I need tools everyday for small stuff around the house, what do you think and if you got anything put together let us know. Maybe I haven't seen it or just overlooked a thread like this. I was thinking how much tools I could buy at big lots the other when I got an all steel pry bar for 3 bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know that I have a pair of these swiss army type pliers. That's mainly what they are but they have screw driver, a knife, a saw etc all in it and the one I have seems to be pretty durable so I'm gonna go with that. Then my main survival knife has a really heavy hand that can be used for a hammer if need be and i also have a small wire saw. That's it for tools for my b.o.b

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've thought some about this and I think it is one area where the weight of the tools keeps you from carrying what you know would be helpful.

I have a tool-roll in my BOB. It has a screwdriver with 6 interchangeable bits, a small crescent wrench, a large crescent wrench, a pry bar, a hammer, fencing pliers, needle nose pliers. I also have a multi-tool, a swiss army knife and a take-down hacksaw.

Yeah, there's other tools that would be useful (bolt cutters) but the trade-off with the weight, for me, means they are left behind.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Forgot something

Oh yeah, not so much a hardware-type tool but very handy -- a head lamp.

During an ice storm a few winters ago, having my headlamp as a flashlight made working with screwdrivers and pliers possible in the dark.:thumb:

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
everything in your BoB is a tool for survival. but i think the spirit of your question is what hand tools is everyone packing in their BoB's.the hand tools i have is a folding saw,2 multi-tools and a trowel :thumb:

when building a BoB your biggest enemy is weight. and depending on where you live you may need more or less tools. like me, i dont need alot of hand tools because i can hit the forrest with a rock while standing in my yard, i dont have to worry about traveling out of the city environment i just need to worry out wilderness survival.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I remember seeing this firemans tool that was being put together on the TV show "How Its Made" And it had a bunch of forcefull entry tools built into one AX like device. Thinking it would be a nice addition to a BOB/BOV incase you had to do some breaking and entering or forcefull entry rescue stuff. I wish I had remembered the name.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
tools

my tool list:

Sven Saw
hatchet or full sized gerber axe (lighter than most)
gerber Mil-Spec Concertina cutters
tomahawk (for an out-walkin-around tacticle tool/weapon)
LOTS of cordage!!!
Gerber tri-fold NATO shovel (tough as nails!)
Leatherman super tool
large vicegrips or channellock pliers

with these tools i can build a great shelter, improvise traps, make/dig out caches, breech buildings and chain-link fences, remove nuts and bolts, fix equipment etc.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
I'm not expecting to leave home w/ a backpack, but should I be able to leave home w/ the van and pack it, into that van I will place:

1. My tool bucket. Normal stuff from hammer to utility knife to screwdrivers, to various pliers, etc.

2. Bolt Cutter.

3. FatMax FuBar demolition tool, crow bar, sledge, axe, hatchet.

4. Chain and locks.

5. Aluminum box serving as Faraday Cage, in which I have emergency radio, batteries, rechargeable batteries, charger, LED flashlights and headlamps, LED table lamp.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I have a dedicated set for the truck so they are always there. Then various tools around the house are kept categorized and in tool bags or boxes to they are easy to move. Depending on circumstances if/when we bug out I can decide what to take.
I have a soft sided zipper bag with smaller computer/electronic tools, then a tool box and tackle bag of parts and supplies.
Then in the garage all my cordless fit in one duffel bag type. All the powered hand tools in a a rolling cheat and other hand tools in another chest. Then the basics in a normal toolbox, then all the automotive tools in a rolling tool chest. Router fits inside the router table so it can be loaded to go too. Everything is designed to be portable and easy to relocate, after our old neighborhood turned into a ghetto and we had to move, those 14 months waiting for the house to sell I prepared for the move and made sure everything was portable.
I then have two buckets, one with electrical tools and supplies and one with plumbing tools and supplies. Then another box with bicycle tools and parts and supplies.

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
What I do is buy tools specifically for SHTF and bug-out situations. Tools for the house remain for the house.

I keep them highly mobile and ready to go incase of bug-out situation. Most are kept in my BOV in a small tool chest behind my seat.

I have tools for the truck but also a bolt cutter, tin snips, hack saw, foilage snips, scissors, breaker bar pipe, etc... along with zip ties of all sizes and lengths...

I also carry a full-size and mini shovel, full-size and mini ax, hammer, pick, cum-a-long, binoculors, Swiss Army knives, multi-tools, etc...

·
Super Moderator
12,298 Posts
Tools & Hardware I'm planning for my extended BOB (a game cart )(Pick & Choose list. Not everyone will need or want all of it in a backpack BOB)(I have most, but not all)

1 Otis Tactical gun cleaning kit
1 Wenger Survivor Swiss Army Knife
1 Aitor Gran Montanero Swiss Army Knife
1 Victorinox Swiss Army Work Champ Swiss Army Knife
1 Leatherman Surge multi-tool w/bit set
1 Leatherman Crunch multi-tool
1 Leatherman Supertool 300
1 8” mill file
1 Channellock Rescue tool w/pliers, wire cutter, prybar, and glass breaker
1 Duraworx mini-planting tool (small pick/mattock)
1 Cold Steel Rifleman’s Tomahawk
1 Cold Steel Special Forces e-tool
1 Sven folding saw
1 Pocket chainsaw
1 Grand Shelters Icebox Igloo building tool
1 Glass cutter
1 Stanley multi-tip screwdriver
1 Benchmade pocket knife sharpener
1 12’ sling rope
1 D-handle small round point shovel
1 Cold Steel 24” Latin machete
1 Stanley 18” Entry Tool
1 Stanley 30” Entry tool
1 300’ 550 cord
1 roll Gorilla duct tape
1 12 gauge x 15’ insulated electrical wire
1 16 gauge x 50’ mechanic’s wire
1 24 gauge x 55’ brass wire
1 Roll 3M ¾” x 66’ electrical tape
1 Industrial JB weld
1 Tube of Goop
1 Tube of clear Shoe Goo
1 Small spray can WD-40
1 Small can 3-in-1 oil
12 small screw eyes
12 medium screw eyes
12 small screw J-hooks
12 medium screw J-hooks
12 11” releasable tie-wraps
12 4” 10d nails
4 7” spike nails
4 Mini sharpies
1 Mini spray can orange paint
1 1” x 200’ orange survey tape
1 Blazer PB 207 2500 degree micro torch

·
Comrade
232 Posts
I keep a crowbar, a Swisstool, and a Buck 119 in my GHB. I also keep a mini entrenching tool in my driver's side door for roadrage a-holes. A shovel with saw teeth changes attitudes fast, and can also dig holes in the ground.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Anything you could use for handtools in your house could be considered for a BOT -- but it all depends on what you are intending on doing........ if you are staying home buy any and all non-electric handtools you cand find/afford....... they will never go bad....... but also buy good quality and try to stay away from lesser quality sellers......

·
circuit rider
183 Posts
I remember seeing this firemans tool that was being put together on the TV show "How Its Made" And it had a bunch of forcefull entry tools built into one AX like device. Thinking it would be a nice addition to a BOB/BOV incase you had to do some breaking and entering or forcefull entry rescue stuff. I wish I had remembered the name.

Halligan Tool, or Halligan Bar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts