Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Professional Knife Addict
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some serious consideration, I decided to change the wheel and tire size on my SUV from 255/70/15 on stock aluminum 15x7" wheels to steel Black Rock 15x8 with Falken Rocky Mountain ATS 31x10.50x15. I found that not only is this setup more capable, but the actual overall diameter of the tires means less highway RPMs and thus more highway gas mileage. What's your bug-out tire setup?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I know what I want is some Michelin XZL's. They can last anywhere form 80,000 to 100,000 miles. They are almost impervious to rock damage and the like. I would even estimate that they could repell some small arms fire!

Only problem is they are huge tires. Smallest ones are 38" I believe for a 16" wheel. Can't ever find those though. The 46" tire for the 20" wheel is easy enough though.

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what I want is some Michelin XZL's. They can last anywhere form 80,000 to 100,000 miles. They are almost impervious to rock damage and the like. I would even estimate that they could repell some small arms fire!

Only problem is they are huge tires. Smallest ones are 38" I believe for a 16" wheel. Can't ever find those though. The 46" tire for the 20" wheel is easy enough though.
Got lift? :eek:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
mine are 235x85x16 stock pizza cutters , i have many of them mounted and some not ! i could fill the back of my bed with spares !

·
Learning
6,730 Posts
Basically, unless you are rock crawling and need a special tire for that or you will be mudding and you need a special tire for that you want a commercial type tire.

10ply, probably D or E rated for weight...many, many expedition type vehicle get 255/85r16's. It is a true 33" tire. Toyo m55's are a true commercial type tire and they will get 80,000-100,000 miles.

The major problem with Mich XZL's is their weight and their availability...unless you got a relative that lives in Africa that can get new ones and freight them over to you. But you need some heavy duty axles to run anything with a 20" tire.

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
I have Kumho Road Venture ATs the kl78 tread on my pick up, and my van. The Toyota is going to get them soon. I have had three nails in my van tire since the winter and haven't needed to add air to it yet. I also have 40,000 miles on the van tires and they still look near new on tread life. Thats what sold me on them.

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally ordered the Black Rocks today. They're special order and will take a few days to come in. I will post pics when it's all on!

·
Cold Weather Guru
139 Posts
I run Goodyear Wrangler MTR's LT285/75/16 10 ply load range E. These are one tough tire and they will get you through anything you may need to drive through. They are not the best tire on ice but snow, mud or rock the are awesome but a little noisy on the highway. I have tried may different tires on my 4x4's over the years but this was my first set of MTR's and I am sold 85000km and still over 50% on the tires.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Forget about getting tires from africa. They use tires until they are bald, and they don't have the XZL's you may get them in france.

·
Registered
237 Posts
goodyear rt II bias hummer tires,,, they work well for me and wear like iron,,, also they are 36 inch tires and I get 5 with 80 percent or better tread for $250

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are all good examples of tires that will last long. What are your plans if you need to take your vehicles to the backcountry?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah, what about rain, especially when the BF Goodrich AT's start to harden out- they wont wear - thats true. But you will find fantastic sliding manouvers without touching the steering wheel during rain...

...and no, bigger tires does not mean less fuel because the lever to move the tire is bigger, you need more fuel accelerate- so advantage of lower rpm is wasted.

·
Registered
237 Posts
These are all good examples of tires that will last long. What are your plans if you need to take your vehicles to the backcountry?
I don't know about others, but the tires I mentioned are on my modded cherokee, which is both a daily driver and a competition jeep in the pro modified division. I keep 2 complete sets (10 tires and rims total) on hand. I know the risks of deflation through foreign objects both onroad and off) , so my rig has onboard air, as well as vaious patch kits and a spare.

·
Registered
630 Posts
BF Goodrich All Terrain KO. Run them on my Chevy truck & Grand Cherokee. They are great all around. On road, snow, mud and long wearing.
I will never run those pieces of crap again, had a full set seperate on me and my brother too and BFG wouldent help me out on them, they tried every song and dance not to remburse me or replace them unless i ponied up cash, so after telling them what they can do with thier company i went with uniroyal liberators and so far so good.

·
Noob-Lite
479 Posts

I've thought about those as well as Interco's on my Mazda. Not that hard to fit really, just a little fender work needed and stretch the wheel base a little.

hick

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT HAVING A SET OF CHAINS IS A GOOD IDEA , i have used chains before on stock tires , even 2x4 trucks , to help out with traction ! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts