• Night

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • No preference

Votes: 23 28.4%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
If given a choice, night, because I have night vision and that gives me a headstart over the others, with less chance of being seen and engaged.
I don't have nightvision.......but my mom made me eat lots of Carrots as a child.......so I feel equal to nightvision lol

seriously tho

the reason for the bug out would affect my choice...
and
the time of year would affect my choice...

·
Registered
735 Posts
You should be prepared for bugout at anytime during the 24 hour period. If you look back at history , Katrina hit land befor dawn but it took a day for the levies to break, back 92 the the Rodney King riot stated in the afternoon and lasted for a week, 9/11 started in the morning . The scenario's I have been running in my head start in the afternoon. The last one that I was ready for was in Nov of 08 so I was expecting a late night run out of town. I believe the key for bugging out is decide on some key indicators and dont waste time after those indicators have been met. You can always get more news on the road once you've left the danger area.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If it's just me, I'm traveling by night.

If I'm with a group, it would depend on who is in the group. Little kids can get scared of the dark. Some adults can, too. Some people don't have good night vision.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
I would do most of my travelling in the daylight so I could use my scopes on my rifles to my advantage to scan ahead of my travel route. I would also be very, very leery about getting close to any built-up areas and would try to bypass around them until I got to my goal. Slow careful movement, lots of scanning from long distance with my rifle scopes and careful observation of choke points like bridges, valleys and so on would be the norm for me. By bedding down at night, I avoid walking into any ambushes. It worked for me for 19 months in Viet Nam and got me home alive. Those methods should still work today...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree with 4norsemen. I lived through and evacuated in the great 1979 Mississauga train derailment. You have to be prepared for what the situation presents. 200,000 people ordered out of their homes on a Saturday afternoon in November with no notice. It is to this day the second largest evacuation after Katrina and New Orleans. People were not allowed to return ot their homes for 6 days and hotel rooms were unfindable in most of the Greater Toronto area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Mississauga_train_derailment

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,806 Posts
It would depend on the situation and If I had to leave immediately. If I had lots of time, such as a week or more warning to get to my BOL - remote mtn retreat - I would leave before sunrise when there is much less traffic to get out of town. And it is nice driving in early morning as well as seeing the beautiful mtn scenery. In my area it would have to be a huge and terrible scenario to not be able to make it to my BOL easily.

And as a few have said, it is easier to see what is in the distance and what might be coming or waiting up ahead during the day than at night.
I do know 7 different routes up there and as I have shown with many large pics how I would get up there and what I would do once there > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=96951

·
Living YOUR dreams!
648 Posts
When ya gotta go, Ya Gotta Go! Bugging out for me means getting home from work.

Winter time, on wide open prairie, travel at night. It'll help keep you warm and you can make some distance. Usually no need for artificial lights, Rattlers are hibernating.
Summertime, same prairie, daytime. Slow & easy to avoid venomous delays, or termination, to your plans. Use the terrain, stay low (below the skyline). Glass everything before moving.
This is assuming SHTF, EMP or some other reason I'm now a pedestrian.

EDIT: You know this question just put snake guards in my BOB? Still, if you flop down into concealment here, or to assume a non-standing shooting posture, your probably down there among the snakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
METT-TC. Everything is dependent upon this.

Mission: What is your endstate
Enemy: Do they exsist in this situation. Natural disaster/NONE
Terrain and weather: Most likely. Have the correct equipment
Troops and support available: Assume None (family will be your troops)
Time available: situation dependent
Civil considerations: People talk about armegeddon or when SHTF but don't be a part of it. Act in a professional manner and remind yourself how humanity in our country makes living as we do possible. Don't perpetuate the situation. Charity will go far to resolve the situation IF you can afford it. But you also must remember in the end the safety of your family is the overall higher intent.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
If i'm bugging out, that means that my location has been compromised. Be it govt forcing me out or some disaster, there will be people less prepaired and desperate or some govt SS looking for drifters so staying hidden is a matter of survival. Since i havent quite mastered invisability i choose the cover of darkness. Im my area it can get very hot and humid in daylight hours.

·
Burner
669 Posts
if you gotta go,you gotta go day or night!
Sounds like a good reason to be taking Detrol :D:

Seriously, it just depends on what is going on and how widespread it is for me. My current BOL is to close to the big city and I fear being overwhelmed with others trying to flee. I need to get about 240 miles north of here to my safe haven so I just have to take whatever window of opportunity I may have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.