Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I go to college in Richmond, VA but my and my roommates are all from the eastern shore of Maryland so that is our most likely bug out location. However I'm having trouble figuring out the best route we should take.

We typically take I-95N or 301N to 50W, then its a straight shot over the chesapeake bay bridge. Since I-95 is a major interstate I don't know if that would be the best bet in a real SHTF scenario. 301N is the more "scenic" of the two but it is still relatively popular, and there is a bridge that could be a big bottleneck. I guess the same could be said for the bay bridge but its the only way I've taken.

If any of you guys are familiar with these areas I'd appreciate a few pointers. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you're plans include 'bugging out' before the need is realized by the general public, then take the route with the best scenery. If your plans are to bug out once the SHTF, I'd suggest you make other plans.

Look at any emergency scenario... like Hurricane Ike... and even 'unpopular' roadways become backed up for miles on end... DAYS before the anticipated event.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
You have to be checking out every possible route you can take. In my area there were many roads to take a few years back. But with building and folks moving into this area now. Roads that were used lightly now have become congested.

So just sit down and plan as many routes as possible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What about those GPS units that adjust routes based on traffic situations (to get you to the destination faster)? I think TomTom and others now have that feature. I wouldn't trust the thing for every possible route, but it might be useful if it does what it is intended to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts