Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Oath Keeper
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious how often others practice bugging out or for that matter bugging in. As i've become more serious about prepping i realized that many of my original plans were flawed because they only factored in current travel times with the infrastructure intact. :upsidedown: Then i realized that as i collected more things on our list i had never tried to pack all this stuff in our vehicles and actually move us to our safe area. Now that was a wake up call. :( It is obvious that movement will be restricted on many main roads so we would have to take more back roads taking more fuel to get there. Every extra pound we carry on our vehicles takes more fuel to move every mile.

What i realized is that my ability to get my preps and bug out is inversely proportional to when i realize i need to do it. At a certain point it would take too much fuel and be too dangerous to try and move.

So i will pose the question again, How often do you practice bugging out?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
A weekend mini vacation is a nice way to test. This scenario is a smaller scale such as my neighbors who had to leave last night when their dryer caught fire, or my co-worker who lost power for a week and had to go to a hotel.
I bought a toiletry bag each member of my family and keep them always ready, travel toothbrush, soaps and shampoo, medicine, etc. When we get low on a medicine in the medicine cabinet, say childrens motrin for example, I buy a new one and put it in this travel kit then the one from the travel kit goes in the medicine cabinet so I'm always rotating stock.
Each family member has a 'go bag' with a few comfort items they they take when we go.
Basically buy extra of things you use and pack them in a bag then rotate it through.
We try for a camping trip once a year and an overnight to a hotel or state park lodge for practicing.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Practicing is absolutely mandatory, whether it's using a vehicle or a bug out bag. I learned the hard way during a flood that without practice and fine tuning, loading up and getting moving takes a LOT longer than you think it would. It's the same with bug out bags. There's always things you've forgotten or didn't know you need, and plenty of things you end up not needing that could be removed to save weight.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
Practicing is absolutely mandatory, whether it's using a vehicle or a bug out bag. I learned the hard way during a flood that without practice and fine tuning, loading up and getting moving takes a LOT longer than you think it would. It's the same with bug out bags. There's always things you've forgotten or didn't know you need, and plenty of things you end up not needing that could be removed to save weight.
That's been my experience exactly...especially the time! I had significantly underestimated the time required; that was lesson no. 1.

I drill twice a year, in between other less structured excursions into the field, and, living in Canada, change up the season when I test things out, and also change up the "scenario."

Actually getting out and using your gear, and testing your plans is just as critical as accumulating the necessary tools and supplies. :thumb:

Reactions: MikeK

·
1,313 Posts
We practice and have drills to keep our reaction time to a good level. Since we live on a lake we have bridges any way we go. So we implemented a plan to use our small cammo boat (complete with paddles) to get across the lake. We keep an old truck on our friends property for heading out once across the water. With the motor we can get there in 10 minutes, oars take 50 minutes of hard rowing.

Walking out is possible across pasture land but you confront barbed wired, animals and uneven terrain so we have tried that with packs. At our age we were slow going but made it. Learned from it too!

Try these things, test yourself, see how your supplies work in probable situations. Be proud of yourself but continue fine tuning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.