Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really new to all this stuff and there are a few bits that i am confused about. Bugging out is the main one.

When would you do it?
How far away would you go.
What is the ideal place to have as a Bug Out Location?
What do you need at the location?

Any help would be really useful.
Thanks

·
protecter
28 Posts
1,when i could no longer live here without any danger to myself or my daughters
2,@150 miles to my bol
3,depends on what your comfortable with to survive
4,water and fire
this is just my opinion.it all depends on what your trained in and your knowledge.
i dont like the cold but can survive,i believe.
i myself would rather be in the woods than an open area

·
Registered
76 Posts
When would you do it?
When I first started checking into preparedness, I felt that 2012 was going to be a catastrophic climate pole shift. Nowadays, I don't think we even have till 2012 before TSHTF, and I think it'll be more a Great Depression/economic catastrophe, so I've changed my thinking a bit.

IF I had to leave (and I'm more of the mind that I can stay where I am, since there won't be tsunamis burying my Island.... I hope!) I want to go to a rural, wooded area. Looking past the Catskills in NY.

I think that would be ideal, with woods with game to eat, arable land to grow crops, not too densely populated.

If I could prepare a place in advance (unfortunately I cannot), I would probably have it set up with all the necessities... water on the property (stream or well), land for crops, hunting and raising animals, root cellar and large storage rooms filled with food and water, furniture, blankets, means to cook, plumbing (or an outhouse) with lots of fuel, battery, candles set aside for emergencies. Medical supplies. And I'd like it to be out-of-the-way and not well-known.

of course, if we're having some sort of nuclear, chemical or biological warfare, I'm pretty much out of luck, as I haven't planned in the least for that!

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does that mean you have to own another property outside of the area or would you find somewhere on the day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is what I looked for in a BOL.

5-10 acres of land with it's own water source. (well, spring, etc.)
A rural area with an arts and crafts community.
A nearby mill. (preferably a water powered mill)
No population areas of over 1500.

These are just some of the things I looked for.

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
IF I had to leave (and I'm more of the mind that I can stay where I am, since there won't be tsunamis burying my Island.... I hope)
Brosia, I hope you are right...and maybe you've already heard of the la Palma Volcano in the Canary Islands....it does raise the possiblity of tsunami, even in NY. This link is a CNN story where I first heard about it several years ago... Just wanted to pass along the info --

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/science/08/29/tidal.wave/index.html

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Don McAlvany said this in his newsletter 15 years ago, and I still stand by it:

3 hours drive from ANY large city
20 minutes drive outside any small town
20 minutes drive away from any arterial highway.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm really new to all this stuff and there are a few bits that i am confused about. Bugging out is the main one.

When would you do it?

Any help would be really useful.
Thanks

I would bug out, if I decided the situation warrented it. And everyones comfort level is different. However, concider the fact that you might have to walk. So leaving early on in a situation, my prevent you from having to make your way around unruly mobs, or gangs. Or, perhaps, you may wait a few days untill peoples emotions are more in order, if that seems to be the best option. In my opinion. It shouldnt be much further than you can walk in a week. If your reasonably healthy, you can expect not much more than 15 miles a day, carrying a pack. I would reccomend somewhere rural, simply because the less people you have to deal with. The less problems concerning people you will encounter. However, you want some people around. You can't do everything by yourself, and its nice to have friends. At your site, you should have a cache, or several caches. Containing everything you think you might need to survive. Thats NEED, not WANT. Think about the differences between the two, and make wise decisions. The less equipment you have to take care of, the better. Also, if you have to bug out from your bugout location. You'll want to be able to carry as much of it as you can, and still travel reasonably fast afoot. Anyone should be able to survive for a long time, with only the items in a large backpacking backpack. Or less depending on your skill level.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Chrisday4064:
I think bugging out in the U.K. would have a differn't level of problems than we face in North America.
First.. Youv'e lost your right to own firearms, from what I hear even a pocketknife is frowned upon.
Unless you have a realitive or close friends with rural property , your sort of out in the cold.
Even in my younger days , backpacking in with more than a weeks worth off supplies would require many trips.
You never mention if you have a car, if you do it would be worth your while to keep a couple of extra cans of petrol handy .

·
ahhh life, blah blah blah
160 Posts
That brings up a new question. I own 25 acres in a rural farming community in South Georgia. My land is right beside a local major roadway. I am on the highest point in the county and my land is furtile. I am about 60 miles north of Tallahassee Florida. I am setting up an underground storm/fallout shelter on the back side of my property in the middle of one of my fields (away from any falling debris/trees). I have plans in place to run the shelter off of a mix of solar and wind power and I hope to be able to install a hand pump well. I planned on enough dry provisions for five people for 30 days. If I go through with all of this, I would be hard pressed to leave and bug out anywhere. At what point would you guys leave a well equiped place as described above? I am more than capable of defending the area and I have a well producing 1/2 acre garden near the site. Is there anything I am forgetting?

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alaskan:
Yeah your right i can only own a shotgun if you have lots of licences and lots of land. i can't even carry a small knife to use at my allotment thats how screwed up my country is.

I am nearly 16 so i can't drive yet but in a year i will be able to and in that case i would always carry extra fuel.
I think my best option would be to head for scotland which is about 500 miles from my house but in scotland they have lots of land and fewer people. But does this mean i would need to buy a house there in case of a bug out situation? If not how do you find a place to stay?

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
IMO - A bug out location should be able to provide you with food, water, shelter and security.

Food: A bug out location should have a reasonable amount of long term storage foods. It should also be able to support vegetable and/or grain and/or livestock farming, if necessary.

Water: A bug out location should have a reasonable amount of ready to drink water. It should also have access to water on hand, or not too far of a walk away. A BOL should also have equipment/supplies to process water to make it safe to drink.

Shelter: A bug out location should have a shelter, or the means to erect a shelter. If you are bringing your shelter with you (a tent or trailer) - you should have a somewhat prepared site ready for your arrival.

Security: Locating your BOL takes a lot of consideration. If you are alone, or with a small group you may want to stay in an area with more people around. Like-minded survivalists/preppers are obviously preferred. Mutual defense and all that.

If you are in a larger group - as I would be, with my family - you may want an area that's a little more out of the way, but still within reasonable distance to a village/town.

Also - a bug out location should be reasonably easy to defend - not from an army (because we all know that they would win), but a group of "bandits". The easiest way to defend an area is to know it.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Chris; As a younge man there are a lot of opptions open to you. You may not be able to bug out of the area you live in. So....

Now you have to get creative.

Inspect your neighborhood for any vacent buildings....lots...garages. Any of these places could be a good place to set up your own bugout site. Don't give up on finding some place in your own house or backyard.

If you have a place that is dark, dry and cool you can start storing foods, clothing and sling shots with ammo (since you cann't have guns a sling shot is a good weapon with practice).

If you still live at home, you may want to encourage your parents to store away extra food....You don't have to go all survivalist on them...I believe England has asked its citizens to eat their leftovers to help food go farther. So if your interested in helping out the government by stocking away some food, your parents might back you up on this.

you'll want to get a bug out bag and keep it ready at all times. You may even take it with you on walks through the neighborhood. This gets you use to caring the weight and learning how to manover with it on your back.

If you have close friends that are worried about the economy, you could even start your own survivalist group of teens. With this help, you could get a stock pile of food and have a group for protection.

Your group will have to go on campouts during the summer to become proficient with your emergency equipment that is in your bob. This could be really fun. One or two of the fathers might want to go along and show you what they know about survival or camping. Never turn down help if it's offered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts