Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Survival Instructor
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see what everyone is carrying in their bug out bag fishing kit. What are your thoughts on what to carry, how much of each thing, and what is most important to you? Here is a video of my long term bug out fishing kit and I think it includes just about everything someone would need. You can always add more but I put my emphasis on lightweight! Look forward to hearing some new ideas from everyone.Thanks!

·
AA Fan Club
263 Posts
I'm sure some will laugh, but I love my Ronco Pocket Fisherman. Replaced the line with some 12 pound I had laying around and have a decent amount of tackle stored in the handle.

Works like a charm.

TLR

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Get a tri-pod for the camera

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
I'm not sure about Arkansas, but here in NY, I catch more bass and walleye with small minnow plugs than with any kind of live bait. I love the 'Storm Thunderstick' in as natural a color as possible. Also, #2 spinners catch the smallies all day long. The 'Jr.' version of the Thunderstick catches trout.

Also, I've started trying braided line... it really is unbreakable and could be used for many things. I use 8lb braided that has a diameter of 4lb mono. I can't even bite through... have to use clippers or a knife. I think I wore a groove in my front teeth trying to snip the line. Often, I'll use a mono leader.

Tip-up backing line is also tough as nails. I pack some for sewing boots, clothes, etc. It's like sinew.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,133 Posts
Fishing yoyos and trotlines. I have a pocket fisherman but it's not in the BOB. I have very little opportunity to fish, but I kept the yoyos and trotline in case I end up near the river. They can do the fishing for me while I attend to other duties. There aren't many fish in the river, so I can see wasting my time sitting there with a pole.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just added a spring-folding fish trap to my pack... looking forward to trying it out.
(Folds down to about a foot square, 1.5" thick... Springs open when you unlatch it, and instantly forms into a proper fish trap. Has 2" openings on either side, and small zippers on the top, one for bait compartment and one to extract the catch. Weighs just a few ounces.)
Looks kinda like this:

Sure minnows and tiny fish aren't glamorous to catch... but they could be very easy to catch, and just as nutritious.
I figure I could just set this up, go do some other stuff, and find a pretty good snack when I get back. (or bait for larger fish; I do carry a real fishing kit as well)

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Check out the USAF parachute survival kit from the 60s. Came with 4 snelled hooks and 8 splitshot, You stripped out some inner cord from the paracord and made a hand line. Also came with a carbon steel jack knife, 4 fire starters matches, a roll of life savers and a little compass. There was an accompanying survival course that you had to go through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts