Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

Planning on doing a practice or dry run for a potential need to bug out of my city and get to our bug out location on foot. It's about 80 miles so I'm Cutting it in half and starting about halfway there. This will be a total of 41 miles through mostly private lands. Getting my gps out there to plot waypoints is my main goal. I don't want to hike along the roads and look so obvious, but don't want to get shot on private property either. Also, a big chunk of this hike is through state game lands, which is public and not in hunting season but I don't think you can camp there. Any ideas on what to do about camping for a night or two?
Cheers!

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Good job on trying it out. You'll learn so much from the experience.

On camping; check for sure. I know it's perfectly legal to camp on state game lands here, so check it out to make sure.

Az

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
It is only illegal if you get caught. If you are taking a 8 hour break to rest who cares. So you use a penny stove to heat up some water for coffee and grub. No one will know. You deploy a cammo or earth tone tarp/tent, so you are able to sleep dry and bug free, no damage compared to hacking down half the forest to erect a shelter.

Light discipline at night is important, noise discipline always. No flashy stuff on you or your pack. Put a cover on the stainless steel canteen or put it in your pack.

Keep an eye open for places to cache stuff, water sources, choke points/ambush spots.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
You might avoid using camp fires and use a stove only. This will keep you out of trouble in so many ways.
Good point. I would suggest practicing light and sound discipline throughout the exercise as it's good practice in something many people aren't very good at. And it would certainly make you much harder to notice if you're stealth camping.

IMO, a decent bo bag should contain some, if not all, food that can be consumed without cooking. It saves time, it saves weight, and it eliminates the possibility of being seen or smelled from cooking. Obviously, this would be easier to do on a short bo, but having a couple meals that you can eat without cooking would still be useful even if you're planning a long walk.

Az

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey guys -

Was planning on doing a practice or "dry run" bug out from my city to out big out location. It's 80 miles, so for this time I'm going to cut it in half and make it 41 miles. Problem is, I don't want to keep on roads and be completely obvious, but I don't want to get shot on private property either. There is a good portion of the hike through state game lands, which is public. While it is not hunting season, I don't think you are allowed to camp and start a fire. Any suggestions on camping for a night or two, being as inconspicuous as possible?

Cheers!
Ben
There's lots of good reading out there if you google "stealth camping."

I'm totally jealous of what you're doing - always wanted to do it, and never did for the reason you gave - if you avoid roads, you're trespassing. Do it, take pics, and post them here for the rest of us!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts