Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking. When TSHTF and people choose to bug out. Why don't you bug out in numbers, Like 2 families or more.
The Pros and Cons:
Pros:
More eyes and ears to look out for an ambush
If there is an ambush you could charge them
You can share weight by packing each other's stuff
More man power, ie. Digging, Rowing, Falling Trees, Setting up Camp
Good company, If you choose the right neighbours

Cons:
More people to care for, Packing a bigger FAK
Noise, You can tell your family to be quiet but you can't control your neighbours'

Sounds good to me,
Thoughts and opinions welcome.

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Myself, my cousin and a couple of good friends have planned to do this. we have laid out a plan for meeting up, each family has their own supply stash they keep up with, and each of us specializes in a different area so that when the shtf one man isn't left trying to do everything. the wives/girlfriends have agreed to take care of the basecamp duties,cooking etc. We will combine our resources and hopefully live better.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My plan involves more than 2 families. I have two locations that are our BOLs depending on the situation but at both locations much of my extended family will be showing up. {Plus in-laws, friends, cousins etc.}
I'm a firm believer in safety in number. In a true SHTF situation you can stand guard a night and chop wood during the day. The human body has limits that can not be overcome.

·
Registered
79 Posts
pros
safety in numbers,work shared among many,more supplies
cons
more mouths to feed,more people to try and keep happy,arguments over what to do and
who will do it,travel large numbers draw attention,rationing for others will cause most group turmoil

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
it all really depend on how large of a grp your talking under 15 ppl would be fine but if your talking about a grp of 75 ppl its alot harder hiding when you need to. a small grp would be fine just dont go over board. if your grp did get that big, it may be wise to split up but keep in radio contact a know about where each of you are incase you need help.the 2 or 3 grps could work together but be enough apart to keep consealed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I guess I bugged out a decade ago, ha. I live in my BOL.

My suggestion would be to not only to go in a group, but to discuss every scenario you can think of ahead of time. You may split up at some point to get to your final destination, but can travel in a group as far as practical. Too may people seem to think they will just pick a direction to go when the time comes. The more things you can cover with your friends ahead of time, the fewer disagreements, and disappointments down the road. Camping on anthers groups "survival retreat" by mistake, after TSHTF will likely get you shot in the US, or hmmm, "be severely reprimanded" in the UK, ha.

The absolute best plan would be to have one of those best friends living at or near your BOL. The friend might store your supplies and equipment such that you can travel Light. You might not stay with the friend, but having a place to land near your goal will be a BIG plus.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
I think bugging out with many people is better then bugging out alone. The best would be to forge an alliance with pro-survival friends before the SHTF, so you could all prepare together. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me yet, not many survivalists here. :(

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
o_O:ROFLMAO:

How in the heck did that happen?!? I must have opened one of the threads that show up at the bottom.

I should probably delete it.
happens all the time - actually a decent topic to hash over - at least you didn't resurrect a technology based zombie that has little relevance today >>> and there are a few 2008 posters that are still alive here & kicking it still ....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I admit I get a little triggered over "bug out" talk, especially watching all the changes that have taken place in the country not only in the past 20 years, but the past year especially.

All the prepping and very little has been pertinent to anything that's happened. The bad thing is the things that actually matter, aren't being done because it's so much cooler and glamorous to pretend we are going to participate in a real life hollywood movie.

I admit to having that mindset at one time but I realized at one point it wasn't based on reality, and we've had plenty of real life examples to learn from.

This past year has been unprecedented, I don't even know how one can prep for mass hysteria and the demise of the western world, so I prep for things likely to happen, and have added to it.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,051 Posts
IF YOU are bugging out en masse in vehicles or parade fashion through streets or such then there is strength and safety in numbers.
IF
you are trying to be kinda stealthy... not so much.

To move quietly and unnoticed through any environment it takes DISCIPLINE. and very few people understand just how disciplined you have to be to do it successfully. IF you are trying to avoid detection can your people NOT make just idle comments or chatter? Do they know how to secure their gear so it doesn't rattle or clank together? There are so many unnatural sounds that SCREAM out there is something different happening,,

In stealth, there is no such thing as overly paranoid.

·
Semper Fi
9,551 Posts
I admit I get a little triggered over "bug out" talk, especially watching all the changes that have taken place in the country not only in the past 20 years, but the past year especially.

All the prepping and very little has been pertinent to anything that's happened. The bad thing is the things that actually matter, aren't being done because it's so much cooler and glamorous to pretend we are going to participate in a real life hollywood movie.

I admit to having that mindset at one time but I realized at one point it wasn't based on reality, and we've had plenty of real life examples to learn from.

This past year has been unprecedented, I don't even know how one can prep for mass hysteria and the demise of the western world, so I prep for things likely to happen, and have added to it.
By just being prepared in general. We suffered VERY little in the way of change to our lifestyle throughout this scamdemic.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
What would do about policing in tbe group? What happens when a member is doing something or will do something that puts the welfare of the whole group at jeapordy?

·
Over and Out
3,722 Posts
.. What happens when a member is doing something or will do something that puts the welfare of the whole group at jeapordy?
Specificity. When the 'ground rules' are Very Clear, unambiguous, and Absolutely / Resolutely and Swiftly Enforced - little 'policing' should be needed. The minute there's 'compromise for the tantrum-children' (Adults, I mean..) those 'hard lines in the sand' get quickly erased..

jd

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Specificity. When the 'ground rules' are Very Clear, unambiguous, and Absolutely / Resolutely and Swiftly Enforced - little 'policing' should be needed. The minute there's 'compromise for the tantrum-children' (Adults, I mean..) those 'hard lines in the sand' get quickly erased..

jd
Yes, agreed...In a severe SHTF situation where secrecy is essential to your lives, what is the most severe punishment you would administer?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts