Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live in a high population center near water, like the ocean or a major river system, you should give serious thought to a bug out boat. When the highways are clogged from panic, the waterways will be clear. A boat on a trailer full of supplies is quickly launched and less likely to be a target. Not to mention it is easier to defend if need be. Open water provides little cover for would be attackers. With todays affordable navigation systems a some practice one could gain the skills to bug out by boat under most conditions. A person wanting to get out of NYC could go up the Hudson thru the canals all the way to the great white north of labrador and never hit the open ocean.

Brent

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was actually thinking something very similar not long ago.

I went sailing around the Isle of Wight. Since most of you guys are from the US ill just mention that its an island of the south coast of the UK mainland. Around the harbour there they have 4 large man-made forts built to defend us from an attack by the french. They are called the Solent Forts.

Although its not strictly a 'bug out boat' i had thought one of these places would be amazing to get to if the shtf.

Bit of a fantasty really, i cant imagine i would be the only person who had that idea!

I like your thinking though!

pichttp://blog.freshegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/solent_sea_fort.jpg

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
i have a sailboat for just that reason. A 34 foot coastal cruiser.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I live on a 180 ft tall ship, and we always have at least a couple month's food on board. It might be a bit of a conspicuous target, but I doubt there would be many people to worry about in the middle of the Atlantic. Plus, there are about 40 other people on board, and there's usually safety in numbers.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
What about the coast guard? Any chance they'd be watching the entry/exit ports along mainland?
The Coast Guard often times cannot find ships in the dark when they know precisely where they are. Once you're in the ICW the access to open water is VERY numerous, as are the gunk holes to duck into.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I too was thinking about this not too long ago. I have a bass boat--not gonna do me much good in a bug-out. I do not thing any motor-boat would be good for very long simply because of the fuel.

Your best be would be a 30+ foot long sailboat with sleeping quarters, a kitchen and bathroom. Any gasoline motor on it would be small and only used to get into a marina or the shore. The problem would be weather. You would have to have some means of weather forecast and a safe place to return to shore. I think that would create some logistical and security challenges.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
I too was thinking about this not too long ago. I have a bass boat--not gonna do me much good in a bug-out. I do not thing any motor-boat would be good for very long simply because of the fuel.

Your best be would be a 30+ foot long sailboat with sleeping quarters, a kitchen and bathroom. Any gasoline motor on it would be small and only used to get into a marina or the shore. The problem would be weather. You would have to have some means of weather forecast and a safe place to return to shore. I think that would create some logistical and security challenges.
You can ride out most bad storms either hove to, or with a sea anchor in place if you get caught out. Storms for the most part are seasonal, you simply avoid certain areas of the coast during those seasons. For example be north of Virginia/NC during late august - early october. If you know it's coming, head in or reef in your sails and avoid the storm if possible. If you have to drop your inventory and motor up to keep the bow in the waves and ride it out with a diving mask on :D:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have always thought that a boat you could live on would be a great idea and a sail boat the best idea in a boat you could trail a medium size canoe to hunt and forage with and colect water if of the coast. I thing the ocean would be a beter place than a river or large lake as fishing would be a lot better.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello all, Our plan is to fire up the engine and while it warms up we check all the lights and rigging, make sure everything we might need right then is handy, do a last minute check around the house if there is time so not to forget anything and finally we untie the dock lines and motor down the canal make a left and head out in to the gulf where we will raise the sails. We have crossed the big pond a few times on vacation to see some friends in the U.K. but anyways I figure we can bump into some nice small island that is of no threat to anyone nor looking to **** anyone off. Lots of food in water if you are patient. that is our plan as long as it is possible.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
funny thing I was just gonna start a similar thread. This morning my wife and I just bought a retired small scale comercial lobster boat....

It is older but has a newer motor and its wood covered in fiber glass..

there is no sleeping quaters just a small ( very small) cabin area that has a flush toilet

some of the windows are cracked and will need replacing but the motor started at the first turn of the key

it has several features that made it appealing.....
1) my uncle worked on this boat during the boats commercial time
2) the motor runs well
3) it has a 15 mile radar
4) it has a fish finder (was added recently)
5) it has a new never installed marine radio

the boat is 32 feet long and 11 feet wide the fuel capacity is 45 gallons

the rear deck area is large enough for our family tent to be put up and there is plenty of space to attach out gear on it

I will take pics of it soon as I forgot the camera when we went to look at it today.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Our family is very lucky in that we have a large house built on over an acre of land direct water access at the end of the property. That access either leads us to a network of large rivers that flow into Chesapeake Bay and then the open ocean. Behind the house we have a jet ski, a 15 foot flat bottom Whaler, and an 18 foot Welcraft. These can be used to either get us out of dodge or can take us within minutes to our 44 foot Sea Ray at the Marina. If need be we can be in the open ocean within 10 minutes of launching the boat (they are docked up so launching only consists of starting them).

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
i have a desalinator on my boat, a windmill generator, solar panels, and plan on a torpedo generator as a back up. My fuel tank holds 20 gallons of diesel, and I can easily put another 20 of both fuel and water on deck. As a precaution a simple redar detector alerts me to the presence and direction of anything large enough to be running radar in my vicinity (20 NM).

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
i have a desalinator on my boat, a windmill generator, solar panels, and plan on a torpedo generator as a back up. My fuel tank holds 20 gallons of diesel, and I can easily put another 20 of both fuel and water on deck. As a precaution a simple redar detector alerts me to the presence and direction of anything large enough to be running radar in my vicinity (20 NM).
the boat we just purchassed is gas but has a large capacity..

I like the idea of the energy sources, thanks, I didnt even think of it....mind you....I've been a large size boat owner for ummm...........4 or 5 hours lol.

we,ve owned an aluminum boat with a 25 hp evenrude but this boat is by far the largest I've owned.

I bought it with a few things in mind.....
flee and evac vehicle...
taking the kids out fishing for cod or squid
taking family out when they come a vacation

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
In Miami a boat is your only option. There's only a few major roads out, and the place would be like Mogadishu within 48 hours if anything serious ever happened. I would not want to be stuck long-term in an urban survival situation in Miami.

All we've got is a 24ft. Dusky center console with a single 225hp two-stroke outboard on back. Its got 100 gallons combined in the main and reserve tanks. It makes decent speed in calm weather, and I can blast down Biscayne bay into Florida bay pretty quickly, or I could head out east and to sea. If the situation were bad enough I could make it to the Bahamas in most weather. It just wouldn't be smooth or fun, and everything had be pretty well waterproofed.

The Bahamas will probably be a one-way trip though without the ability to refuel. I'd have to think about it long and hard before I made the decision to commit to that one.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
the macgregor is nice looking and not a bad price, but then again I know nothing about sailboat prices.

i thing a bug out boat is a great idea. im a few mi from the sac river. but id prolly head to the mts a few miles away.

T

·
Registered
37 Posts
boats

I've been looking into this as well.

One complication though is STORAGE if you're in a city.

Storing the boat in your garage will be impractical, because WTSHTF, you're not going to make it through traffic with your car/truck and boat trailer to even get it to the water. But storing it in a harbor may be a bad idea too, since it could get stolen WTSHTF.

Any thoughts on where to keep the bug out boat?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts