Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hear a lot about bug out bags and bug out trucks etc...how about bug out boats. Myself living in southeast Alaska with the many islands see this as a very stable form of life and safe minus the weather conditions which can be read ahead of time if you watch the sky well enough.

So lets hear it from others who might make use of watercraft for their survival.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
we have two kyaks and a 17foot arrowglass couger with a 65hp engine

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts
Reactions: echo3charlie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a few different options living near many island and an open ocean.

12ft zodiac 20hp evenrude
16ft lund 40hp yamaha
58ft delt seine boat (not mine but the skipper needs his crew to run her)

I got a small all around kayak working on getting a good sea kayak though.

·
Right Handed
1,371 Posts
Yeah being in Hawaii, i've had several people recommend a bug-out-boat... Yet they have no concept of hawaiian waters...

A boat is a good thing yet you need many years of expirience and know how to pilot one.

The up-keep and storage is just not pratical for most people.

If it makes sense for you go for it, if not forget about it.

remember boat means... Bust Out Another Thousand... Just when you thought you had it covered!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent 4 years stationed in hawaii I know how the waters can get...alaska is just as bad in my opinion worse for foul weather, especially in the winter. However if you have a working vessel, one that generates income doubling its use for a bug out boat would be reasonably cheap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do like the idea of one very keenly set up BOL, however I still think having multiple stash sites or secondary BOL to resupply from or use as temp hides when staying on the move is necessary to be an important plan.

Say each major Island has a stash of nonperishable food, ammo, and temp shelter....fuel and other things may be needed or not. Location close to a fresh water stream. You could stay at one of these for a week or more if you were on the run, or you have a temp shelter on your way to the main BOL no matter where in SE Alaska you might be atm of the disaster. I see this plan being very effective mostly in the situation of foreign invasion or martial law, though any disaster this plan would be useful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a river about 30 min from where I am straight into Canada...a flat bottom jet boat about 12-20ft is the best for getting up into the Canadian side though.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Do a search because I started a thread on the same topic pretty much, a houseboat as a BOL. Some thought it was doable others said it would just be a big target. An ocean going boat was pretty much approved of as ideal.

·
Mad Trapper II
1,157 Posts
A bug-out boat is on my list, but it's a ways away from getting dealt with yet. I have many other priorities right now.

I've been looking at your area enviously lately. I like the looks of Annette Island. What is the community there like (Metlacatla, I think?)? And how is that area for vegetable gardening?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I live a bit up from that area...Annette Island is almost into Canadian waters...honestly never been to it. I have been to Ketchikan though which is fairly close, and the environmental factors are much the same as where I live.

It is very rainy, mildly warm summers up to a high usually of mid 80s yet still very damp and humid. Rainfall in the summer is common as well as long hours of day light. Winters are mild as your still close to water but you can expect around 4 ft of snow at least and temperatures around 10 degrees F. The seasons are really split into 3. A long winter, rainy in the beginning and the end. A long spring rainy the whole time pretty much, and a long autumn also rainy. The only truly sunny months you'll see are mid June-mid August and middle of winter.

I don't have a lot of experience gardening...however from what I have seen people are able to grow carrots very well, also rhubarb. The natural berries are plentiful (blueberries, black berries, salmon berries, huckleberries, Logan berries) and I have even seen some wild strawberries and raspberries. I suppose as long as you planted towards the sun on a slight incline with good drainage just about anything cold hardy would grow.

From what I have read and understand the community on Annette Island (Metlakatla) is entirely a Alaskan Native reserve.

Hope this helps a little.

PS here are some useful links to someone who used container gardening, vegetables and herbs, as well as an easy to build, cheap greenhouse.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=257270.0
http://www.gardenguides.com/99215-vegetables-grow-alaska.html
http://www.plantea.com/beginner-gardening.htm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK so back to more of the boats. I have an ideal boat in mind actually 2...havn't yet decided which to go with. Both have trade offs. One is more seaworthy and could be put to use as a small time/self sustaining and livable for up to 3 people semi comfortably, the trade off...very little river capabilities. However a small zodiac or kayak could fix the problem.
31'x10' Aluminum Glacier Craft, Twn Yamaha F250 500 hp, fuel cap: 270 gal, 4 berths.

The other option would be a river skiff...pros flat bottom allows easy river access and ability to cross sandbars and beaver dams. Cons would be less seaworthy past 5 foot swells, and less berth space, fuel cap. and storage space. The boat could generate income through charter fishing/sightseeing and could be self sustainable through salmon pole fishing and protected water halibut, crab, and shrimp fishing...also livable for 3 people though less room. The boat would look similar to the above only with a shallower draft and less angle to the hull. The length would also be slightly less as well as the beam.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do a search because I started a thread on the same topic pretty much, a houseboat as a BOL. Some thought it was doable others said it would just be a big target. An ocean going boat was pretty much approved of as ideal.
Houseboats would make a large target, but no larger than any other structure. The houseboat does have the advantage of being mobile, surrounded by a moat, and near plenty of water :).

I see a lot of floating cabins on the Stikine River and some in protected bays and inlets. A compromise between a houseboat and an ocean going vessel that you might be interested in is a Higgins Army T-boat.

Here is a link to a craiglist add for one that is going for 40k, nice boat and like the add said it is somewhat bullet proof AND nuke proof o_O
http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/1749180889.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All very nice boats...Love the Necky kayaks know a few people in AK that have them. I also have a buddy I go moose hunting with who has an Alpacka raft. They are sturdy little rafts to be sure. Ive never had a use for loader boat, but they have their uses and the Munson is a fine looking craft. Ive been a motor guy my whole life, but PSHTF especially long term, sailboat would be the way to go...I dont really see a situation like waterworld happening to that extreme, but unless I can convert my boat to run on biodiesel I may look into sailing lessons.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts