Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Born to prep
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the PAW stories you often read where the hero and or heroine are stuck in the city and need transportation out of the mess.

A their solution to the problem of no transportation is a bicycle.

In all of the times that I have been on the prepper boards I have never see a bug out bicycle being build so I decided to build one. The parameters that I set for my self to go by when building one is.

The cost had to be as low as possible.
When ever possible parts had to be scrounged, already on hand or bought used.

It has to be able to carry at least three days supplies.

It has to be light enough to carry.

Able to be ridden long distances.

Concealable in the woods.

So fare this is what I have come up with. The bike has a 6061 frame and I found it in a dumpster. The seat is off an old bike. The water bottles I bought at the thrift store a wile back for a $1.00 each. The holders were on other frames I had laying around. The bike panniers are from two web gear sets that I had in hand. The frame work to hang the panniers on is made from book rack I bought at the thrift store for $2.00 some aluminum stock I bought a going out of business sale a few years ago. The box is a saws all container that I found in the trash. The nuts and bolts I had on hand. I bought the paint at W mart a few years ago on clearance. Cash outlay for the build so fare is $2.00 for the book rack since that is the only thing that I bought with doing this in mind.

I still have to make a seat cover.
Find something to make a front basket from.
Make, find or buy a trailer.
Disassemble and lube all of the bearings.
Find or buy a high pressure hand air pump.
Dig through my gear and find a cammo net for it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
This topic interests me! I work about 31 miles from home and it would sure suck to have to walk back home. I do have a mountain bike and was thinking of getting a bike rack and just hook it on the car and leave it there. Anyone do this? What concerns should I have?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Mine is chained under my work bench desk with the front wheel and handle bars removed. It may be assembled with shop tools and ridden home pretty quick.

I keep in the building out of the elements.

Also check the tires now and then.

Too much of a theft risk to keep in or on a vehicle out side.

·
Born to prep
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its just a mountain bike I picked up at a garage sale pretty cheap.

That is ok I would just like to see a photo of it under the desk I have never seen that before.

This topic interests me! I work about 31 miles from home and it would sure suck to hav eto walk back home. I do have a mountain bike and was thinking of getting a bike rack and just hook it on the car and leave it there. Anyone do this? What concerns should I have?
The first two that come to mind is theft and it getting smashed in a rear end crash.

Looks too military with all that olive drab. Add some tan/sand paint, or just grass green to lay it down in. If you want to camo it, you got to remove the reflectors.
How would adding tan make it look less military? I would like to spray some light OD green on it but I do not have any also the dark OD helps to hide it in low light conditions. I can not ride it on the street at night now if it dose not have reflectors on it and I ride a lot. One of my plans is to when I make the new seat cover is to make bags to put over the reflectors and to put tape over the ones I can not put bags over. I have driven less then 60,000 in the last 9 years.

Looks great so far. Milk crates are nice baskets. Slime the tubes or perhaps line the tires with a liner or cut other tires down to fit inside.
I have considered that but it would be a felony. I am trying to find a wire basket that is as wide as the handle bars but does not stick out front too fare. I have a set of flat blocker tires and tubes mounted on rim but I will use them on the trailer. When the ones that I have on the bike need replacing I will replace them with flat blockers. The problem with slime is that it makes the tube hard to fix so it is a trade.

Will the paint on the wheels interfere with the brakes?
To my amazement very little. The brakes on this bike a too good so losing a little breaking power is not a bad thing it still stops on a dime but it only gives back 7 cents change now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have been riding for over 10 years. I know bikes. First thing keep it out of the elements, in most cases you can secure it and keep it out of the elements at the same time. Most work places have some spare room in a wharehouse/basement/store room that you could keep it in. If they ask why just say that you are trying to get in better shape (better for health insurance)and reduce your carbon footprint. Make it matte black it still looks pedestrian and can still be hid reletivly well in the woods.

As far as scrounging parts I would go used on craigslist you get what you pay for. You also want to ride it as regularly as your schedule would allow you to. If I were to spend money I would put it into the pedals, a good cage or clipless system and the seat remember if you are going to be relying on it in a SHTF situation you have already ditched your car. Why not make sure that it can do alot more than just get you home. you might need it to haul food from a make shift market after the SHTF or get away if you need to.

Although I'm mostly a road bike rider I do mountain bike on occasion. I would love the effeciency of a road bike, but in a SHTF situation you want as bombproof and funtional as possible and you would have to go with a mountain frame. If you can get a solid fork a fork with a shock just have more things to break and if it is not dialed in or broken it can rob you of alot of energy while riding.

Also have a good bike repair kit. In a natural disaster you never know what you are gonna in counter a single nail can do more than just poke a hole in your tire, it can rip your side wall and destroy your tire. My first ride on my $2k+ road bike 10 miles on mile 5 i hit a bent nail that just shreaded my side wall. I had a side wall patch kit that got me home, but just barely.

Get educated about your bike know how to fix it. Adjust the shifters, align the brakes and change the pads, true your wheel if you hit a big bump or crash it. Take it into a shop for a tune up every once in a while if you dont. The comment about the slime and liners is right on. You are not riding it for sport or effeciency so the added weight is not as much of an issue. And Ride Ride Ride you would be suprised at how badly you will cramp up if you dont ride regularly. I took a couple of months off a while back cause I was doing some other training and even though I was in shape I cramped up real bad the first ride back on. If you have any more questions let me know and i will give you everything I know.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Looks good.

I am currently turning an old mountain bike of mine into more of a BOV or, at least, a "Get around after SHTF" vehicle.

I am not going camo and all, but I am doing a lot of work. Also Equipping some bags on it with limited equipment in case I need spares or am separated from my BOB.

I figure riding it will become one of my get back into shape methods too.

·
Proud American
308 Posts
I have been a bicycle commuter for years, my commute to work is 23 miles each direction. Their is a lot to be said for the use of bicycles in any situation. I think the best prep anyone should consider and I rarely see talked about is endurance fitness. It doesn't really matter how well prepared you are if your fitness level is very poor.

I would recomend checking out http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php for all kinds of useful information about anything to do with bicycles. It's a great resource, I personaly founded the Hybrid forum over there a few years ago but rarly partisapate in it anymore. I ride a road bike mostly these days.

Their are bicycles designed for exactly what your talking about. I have done long distance endurance rides. You can purchase all kinds of panniers, racks, bar bags and baskets, backpacks and mesenger bags, side cars and trailers.Their are a lot of things to consider, tires and wheels on bicycles that carry a lot of wt are different than a quick and agile road bike or mountain bike. If you add a lot of wt to a mountain bike you simply compress the suspension to the point it becomes useless.

Hybrid bicycles and or Touring bicycles are designed for attaching accesories to the frame in multipule locations & are a good all around bicycle for what you are talking about for this application. All bicycles are not created equal, choose the right frame, components, and tires and rims for this application or you may be very disappointed in handeling & how robust the bicycle will be. Read the touring section in bike forums, these are people that load bicycles down with all kinds of gear and travel hundreds of miles sometimes for months at a time.

This is my hybrid touring bicycle below and I use it as my touring bike and rainy day commuter. I spend most of my time on my road bike and I have a hard tail mountain bike for playing in the dirt. Bicycles have come a long way so build the right one and you will be better off.

·
Patiently Waiting
6,063 Posts
Those reflectors are gonna light up like fireworks at night. They can be seen for a long way on a dark night.

Good idea though. I have an old mountain bike I converted to a commuter bike a while ago, but since I got my road touring bike it doesn't get much use, and I've been wanting to repaint it anyway.

I already have an old kiddie trailer that is good for up to 42kg of weight that I am yet to build a sturdy box for so I can carry stuff in it. It's got seriously thick tubes (1/4 inch thick), so punctures just don't happen, and I've got about five sets of tyres to choose from. Everything from smooth road tyres to heavy duty off road knobbies.

Apart from a paint job and a box for the trailer it's good to go. School holidays are coming up in a few weeks, so I'll do something then and post some pics.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts