Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Lord of Irrelevance
639 Posts
I say the single speed (less is more, maybe 3 spd on hilly terrain) Schwinn Heai Duti's or Worksman Industrial Newsboy's area about the toughest most heavy duty bikes you can find. Add some racks and baskets and maybe a cart if necessary and you'd be set to go . We use them out in the refinery I work at and they get left outside and used and abused more than you can imagine and they keep on kicking butt. The most common problem we have with them are flat tires but them bikes go through hell and you're going to go through tires on any bicycle if you use it enough.
I've got a Worksman Klunker I built and love it. HD wheels with 11ga spokes, 3 PC crank

Plenty of space for racks and panniers

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
45,485 Posts
And one of the first modifications I'd made is airless tires. I don't know what it is but no matter what I do, I ALWAYS end up getting flat tires. Every mountain bike I've ever owned got one flat after the other.

·
Registered
682 Posts
And one of the first modifications I'd made is airless tires. I don't know what it is but no matter what I do, I ALWAYS end up getting flat tires. Every mountain bike I've ever owned got one flat after the other.
Did you see those spring tires in the photo. Do you use the bib mous inserts for your bikes (the foam inserts). Years ago i worked at a wall mart and they sold them and people would bring them back because they couldn't install them. I changed them since i also have worked in motorcycle shops and installed some really tough ones in motorcycle tires.

·
Lord of Irrelevance
639 Posts
Did you see those spring tires in the photo. Do you use the bib mous inserts for your bikes (the foam inserts). Years ago i worked at a wall mart and they sold them and people would bring them back because they couldn't install them. I changed them since i also have worked in motorcycle shops and installed some really tough ones in motorcycle tires.
Cush Core 👍

I run em. Works wonders

·
Registered
261 Posts
View attachment 410091
[/QUOT
My daily commuter is made for multi day variable surface touring. It would not be my first choice of BOV, but if the roads were gridlocked with cars, it could get me from A to B. View attachment 410109
I've got a Surly Long Haul Trucker with high handle bars (not stock) and different shifters (stock ones are on end of drop downs which is dumb)...need to get some water proof paniers for it. Great bike, great gear ratios and hardware too.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,762 Posts
Fun!

Tho where I live, a single speed would kill me. If it's geared for uphill, then it's pointless for flat.
I used to ride a mountain bike around trails and then maybe 3 times a summer I rode from my mtn retreat elevation 9,500 feet down to the nearest small town 12 miles which is a little over 7,000 feet. I could ride it in half an hour or so down the mountain but took me 5 hours to ride and push my loaded down bike with supplies, back up the mountain.

Last summer in August 2021 I ordered a power or most call them e-bikes which is great. Has a 45 mile range unless going uphill most of the time down to 30 miles from the battery.
I rode that new bike all around and even the steepest over 7 percent grades the power bike made it up easy although faster going up when I also pedaled. The accessories are many such as saddle bags, racks etc.

I especially like it since no registration, plates, sticker or insurance needed. It is similar to a bicycle but with power to easily go up and over high hills such as the 10,000 foot Continental Divide one mile from my land.

This is what mine looked like and the bike cost me on sale $1200. It has already gone up in price and here is a photo link with more info on my new power bike RadMini Electric Fat Bike Version 4

Here is a photo of a friend of mine who is a member on this S-boards or was a few years ago maybe still is. He is unique and has two bikes and this photo shows what he uses to travel much of the time >

Tire Wheel Vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Motor vehicle

·
Banned
Gunslingin' Knife-Throwin' Cowgirl
100 Posts
I want one. Cycling is my main mode of transportation when I'm not walking. I'm from the arctic; I never bothered getting a Driver's License lmao. I only ever traveled via fourwheeler, snowmachine or dogsled lol. 😅

Cars freak me out. I was locked up in a loony bin for years, so now cars feel like they're going way faster to me than they actually are; easily car-sick and sea-sick lol. 😜

·
Registered
682 Posts
high elevation is where a electric bike really makes sense for short hops. Small gas engines loose so much power with the increase in elevation. Where i live the bike can't have over one horsepower and has to have pedals. So a gas engine that makes one horsepower at sea level loses a lot at 12K wear as a electric motor has the same, and max torque at zero RPM. .

·
Registered
457 Posts
Back in the early 70's, Kawasaki motorcycles came out with a model called the KV-75. It was a 75cc mini bike but it was 100% street legal. It had lites, horn, turn signals, brake lite, etc. but the neatest thing about it, was that it folded up into a small suitcase sized package. The folded over handlebars are now the carrying handle. It was very popular with students and such but lost popularity pretty quick.

Until the late 70's and early 80's down in Florida that is. By now all of the ones that were parked in garages and forgotten about, have had their premix oil gasoline fuel turned to putty and hardened up inside the carbs. But now they're all worth gold! There was an explosion of "Boat People" and many of those were "Boat People with Sea Planes". They lived on their big boats, traveled back and forth to land via little boat or plane and then traveled via road to work. They discovered the little folding mini bike motorcycle. It became the new status symbol. They'd travel via speed boat or plane to land, then unpack their little Mini Bike and fold it out for road use, then fold it back up at work and store it under the desk!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
yes it can however we aren't thinking the motorbike is a main source of travel that being said I would think the 4x4 would be the main mode of transport if roads become blocked it be safe to assume you would have access to rail thus making sense to have something to ride the rails would be a prudent asset to have

yes on a dirt bike you can ride between the rails however having something that allows to ride the rails gets you to where you're going faster...

i wouldn't want to screw my back over railway sleepers and blue metal ballast

i believe everyone has produced a rokon clone at some point in the past

though look at the stated weight it can hold,,,

21 - 40 of 40 Posts