Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
What should be the basic tools and equipment that should be included in two days hiking? Thanks in advance :thumb:

·
Dog & Reptiles eater
1,411 Posts
Hey Guys,
What should be the basic tools and equipment that should be included in two days hiking? Thanks in advance :thumb:
You might wanna elaborate further as the WHERE & WHEN you gonna be hiking. Every materials & logistical preparedness should reflect those aspects.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might wanna elaborate further as the WHERE & WHEN you gonna be hiking. Every materials & logistical preparedness should reflect those aspects.
The place is not fixed yet. That is why trying to have a heads up for the most common items.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
PLB rescue Beacon, wool socks, hiking boots, Alum block, Datrex lifeboat rations, poncho, SS 1 liter water bottle, 2 disposable water bottles, Leatherman Rebar, 2 bic lighters, Sawyer .2 micron water filter, wool coat, skeeter headnet, DEET, AM/FM earbud radio, Headlamp, parang, benedryl, nasal spray, any meds you require, gloves, spare shirt, dust respirator type with valve, small compass, cell phone charger, dental floss and toothbrush, bottle of iodine tabs, fork, small bottle of salt, sewing needle, moleskin, antibiotic cream, wet wipes, spetznaz shovel, pepper spray.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Yup, two days one night.
honestly you don't need much. You could honestly do well with
a tarp
seasonal appropriate clothing
a little food
water
a means to start fire
a knife+ saw or hatchet
and maybe a light blanket.

in a pinch you could really do with just water and a few snacks

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,627 Posts
I agree with FarmerJohn (Good to hear from you, btw).

You don't need much for a day or two unless the weather turns really nasty, or you hurt yourself and can not travel.

Here is the pack I carry in my vehicle, Get Home Gear, 10 lbs
Maxpedition Pack, 2 L Hydration Bag, Mil Poncho & Liner, (2) MREs, Filter Straw, Pistol, Flashlight, knife, Deet, Head Net, Whet Stone, Compass, Keys, Lighter, Striker, First Aid Kit, Tooth Brush, Nail Clippers, Sizzors, Mirror, Tinactin, Hydrocort, Meds, Toilet Paper.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Without knowing the precise terrain, some basics for most durations.

Shelter- tarp or lightweight tent usually
Sleep system- seasonally appropriate sleeping bag, quilt or blanket, and maybe lightwieight sleeping mat.
Food- for overnighters anything you want really, just avoid glass jars or cans, overly heavy.
Water- how much depends if you have sources nearby.
seaonally appropriate Clothing
Backpack.
Waterproof liner or large plastic bags to keep spare clothes or pack internals dry.

Whatever you feel you need of the following:

Small first aid kit
Small flashlight, backed up by phone light or headlamp.
Means to start fire if applicable.
Navigation aids- GPS/route Map/Compass
Multi-tool.
Toiletries including bug repellant and poop scoop.
Spork
Any other comforts or necessities your style of hiking requires.

·
reluctant sinner
17,001 Posts
What are you going to use or need when you get where you are going?

BOB's are supposed to keep you alive for 3 days, tons of lists if you look - pick and choose to meet your needs for your area of operation.

Socks, underwear, water/filter, hat, gloves, meds, bug dope, sunscreen, pack of wipes, headlight, a couple of BIC's, multitool like a Wave, 2 or 3 3600 cal Datrex bars, Sportsman Blanket ...

·
Dog & Reptiles eater
1,411 Posts
Clothes, food, shelter, a sat phone to call mom/uber :D:
And a backpack for those.
You miss bringin enough cash and credit card with sufficient balance in the account :D:

BTW those of us whose carry sat phone do not need it to call home, we need it to receive / make call to / from HQ element :upsidedown:

·
Registered
814 Posts
What's your goal with the BOB?

I have a GHB kit in my truck. My goal is "not dead" and "get there with no major injuries/frost bite" if I have to walk home because of EMP or other disaster. It may also come into play in case of sudden wildfire, a real risk around here, leaves me stranded and unable to get home and/or I end up camping out somewhere safe after fleeing a fire.

Kit contains warm clothes in winter and gloves, hat, warm boots (combat boots in nicer weather), couple extra pairs of socks, sleeping bag, bivvy sack, rain gear, a gallon and a half of water, a couple cans of corned beef hash, bags of beef jerky, dried fruit and granola bars, and gatorade, isobutane stove and two small cannisters of fuel, two flashlights, an emergency radio, matches, lighter, first aid kit with lots of stuff for blisters and allergies, caffeine tablets, bug spray, sunscreen (I have gotten a second degree sunburn up here so I consider sunscreen to definitely belong in my survival kit), water filter and iodine tablets.

I could hike home in two days if it's a disaster involving EMP/aliens/zombies in the road/etc. Could honestly do it in one day if I started at dawn on a long summer day and I hustled, but I'm not counting on that kind of luck. If it's a short winter day or it happens later in the day it'll be two days home.

The deal is that you don't need a ton of stuff for two days. Quite honestly, if it were a warm July day with no rain in the forecast, I'd probably ditch half the stuff but it's there in case I decide I need it. I figure I just need what I need to stay not-dead if I'm genuinely bugging out and/or getting home. For two days? I can suck it up and deal with the lack of creature comforts.

I figure the most important things for me for getting home are weather appropriate clothes, GOOD boots that are broken in, and water, and a flashlight in case I end up walking in the dark. Everything else is gravy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts