Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys and gals.. here is the question, i am debating the pro's and con's. bug out and hit the woods, vs defend your home.. if it was just me i would defenatley hit the wood. but i have a wife and 4 children, 6yrs 4yrs 1 yrs and 3 months old.. so woods life would be very hard to pull off. but i know to defend your home isnt an easy thing to do, near impossible. whats your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Well,you're going to have to defend your wife and kids in the woods,too.And it will be harder than you can imagine.So,might just as well stay home and have a roof over your head,and a flush toilet.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
ok guys and gals.. here is the question, i am debating the pro's and con's. bug out and hit the woods, vs defend your home.. if it was just me i would defenatley hit the wood. but i have a wife and 4 children, 6yrs 4yrs 1 yrs and 3 months old.. so woods life would be very hard to pull off. but i know to defend your home isnt an easy thing to do, near impossible. whats your thoughts.

If you bug out into the woods, you're just a refugee. I don't want to merely survive- I intend to thrive- as best I can at any rate. Living like an animal in the woods isn't my idea of thriving... And, as the mother of a 3 and 4yr old? There's no way in hell I'd be dragging my kids into the woods unless it was an absolute last resort. I could do it- I have the skills if need be- but it's not exactly on my "Gee- this would be great" list. :xeye:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i truely understand the harships of "the woods" and that would be a last resort, but if shtf and home raids or 100 other situations, defending your home may become just as hard or harder. as in spend your days and nights defending your home, supplies, or "the woods" and they dont even know u are there, hopefuly. military raids foreign or domestic, gangs up to no good, blackwater.ect..

·
under prepared patriot
333 Posts
I see what your saying, But I would go to the woods initially wait a month and see whats going on. If it doesnt seem like home raids are going on and whatnot then I would go home. However Id still be vigilant and ready to bug out again in case things got even worse. Good question though!

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
i truely understand the harships of "the woods" and that would be a last resort, but if shtf and home raids or 100 other situations, defending your home may become just as hard or harder. as in spend your days and nights defending your home, supplies, or "the woods" and they dont even know u are there, hopefuly. military raids foreign or domestic, gangs up to no good, blackwater.ect..
I live in northern Ohio. The woods during winter- particularly with two children- are no place to be. Yes- one might deal with military raids etc.- but I'd rather take my chances with clever hiding and cacheing than not have the defense, shelter and protection that a roof and walls provide. Further- toting around all the supplies required to make life habitable with two little ones through the woods- one would be better off dealing with said raids IMO. I'd rather deal with occasional disruption and hardship by way of people coming to my door than to deal with it constantly by dragging two children and an anti-outdoors spouse through the woods. I'd rather NOT survive in that scenario truth to be told LOL It's my idea of hell actually :eek: Me, a tent and a pack? Peachy. Dragging the fam along? Shoot me.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I see what your saying, But I would go to the woods initially wait a month and see whats going on. If it doesnt seem like home raids are going on and whatnot then I would go home. However Id still be vigilant and ready to bug out again in case things got even worse. Good question though!
Sure- leave your home for someone less fortunate to squat in and/or people to go in and take whatever you've left in there. (And it would be most everything because realistically speaking there is only so much one can take with them. It's not like D&D folks- you don't have a bottomless carrying sack.... That and leaving your home without anyone residing in it will lead to significant wear/tear damage depending on climate etc.

You'd drag a number of children- including a 3mo. old- into the woods for a month "just to see what's going on"?...... Um...... Do you have kids? And.... does your wife know of this plan? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is an intersting post which runs through the minds of most people when they start looking at survival situations in times of crisis. There are so many variables to think about, what area you live in, how is the crisis affecting general security and is there civil unrest in the area. All things things can affect the "fight or flee" defense system we all have.
I think in my families case we would stay put. We are all shooters and are well prepared for most defense scenerios that might arise, we also have our own well and septic so we don't rely on outside utilities in an emergency. Things may be harder in densly populated urban areas though.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think you need to respond to the situation as it comes. Local situation leave and go to another point try and set up something in that location either family outside of the strike zone or have money to get a hotel. If your city/suburban it will be hard to move after the affect look around and try to find as many routes as you can out. I'm not to sure what you mean by house raids if your taking about people entering your house not counting police or military doing house checks maybe moving away from your current area might be an idea. I'm not afraid of my neighbours breaking in. We have a plan in place where to go two points to go to if I'm order to leave by the Government. If the situation goes sideways currently I plan to wait till the roads are clearer in teh first wave leaving and head to the second of those two points. Both can be reached for me in less the a day in a car. More if walking. Going to the woods to me is a total last resort. Have you considered buying a place that your can run to in a bad situation where you can put in supplies and such. With a family there is so much more to worry about then as a single person. You might want to consider going as far as moving to allow yourself more supplies and seclusion. I doubt if it gets really bad the gangs will bother leaving the city looking for trouble they keep to their normal hunting grounds in the city.

·
Registered
29 Posts
stay home untill absolutly nessecary to leave. one, you have shelter. two, you'll have more food. three, you know your enviroment, what your house layout is where the other houses are on your block or where ever you live. if you leave you can only carry what you can fit into the car or if your on foot you'll be carring one of the little ones plus your gear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One very troubling scenerio that took place during Katrina was the local police started confiscating guns from homeowners which was found to be totally illegal after the fact and home owners went to court to get their guns back... There was a big article on the NRA website about it.
I think that shows us to have a back up plan and not to have all our eggs in one basket... You have to have a back up plan in case the law isn't being enforced correctly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why on earth someone would choose to leave there home for a life of uncertainty is beyond me. Esp with children.

The red dawn fantacy is just that, a fantacy. If you are living in the woods all you have is what you can carry, until you can build a more permanant shelter, much like the one you left that you used to call "home". If you are close enough to woods to run to it you will probably be spared the roving bands of entitlement junkies.

I will only be leaving my home as a last ditch plan and will attempt to relocate to another home, a friend or something, until my options run out.

A community of people working together will be more successful than living as a long wolf.

{post 3}

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread because this has been on my mind heavily too. We have a farm here in Louisiana, we've worked hard to make it self-reliant, have made friends and contacts around the area. The thought of leaving it mid-crisis weighs heavy on me. Thinking about how much we would have to leave behind if we ran away. Not the house stuff...but dairy cattle, ducks, chickens, all the tools and things we've built to make survival off the system possible. None of us are tacticians, if some martial law scenario came about and someone came to take it away, we would have to fight or flee (well, fleeing would be blowing the place sky high before we went) but I don't know about running for any other reason. Trying to be ready for every situation is a daunting task, especially with a kid involved. It's good to see others talking about this seriously.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bumped into this thread looking for shelter ideas. I have a couple of thoughts. I have a 2-year-old girl, and as much as I hate the idea of scramming to the bush to survive, it might be the only alternative. With that in mind, I need to do my meager best to prepare for that scenario.

However, what is much, much more preferable to me as someone who is as green (read: NEWB) as can be when it comes to survival skills, is to purchase a home in deep in the country, where the nearest town isn't any larger than 10,000. I would start moving all essential supplies there now. When the SHTF, we'd have a place that we could bug out to and into, and we'd be gone at the very first sign of the ****e. We'd have at least a year's worth of dehydrated food to support us while we started to adapt to our new way of life.

The only problem with that is being able to afford it (and making the purchase SOON!...it could hit the fan any day now!!). What I would just LOVE is to find some like-minded people who are interested in forming a COMMUNITY (and going in on this house/property together). It just makes me sad...how many people I talk to about this get just interested enough to listen but not to take steps of action. But I digress.

I do NOT think urban survival is a viable plan. Sorry. EVEN IF you survive mass rioting and chaos, you'll have marshall law to deal with afterward, and that likely means a FEMA camp and/or a national ID card (or worse...RFID, etc). Your rights are toast. I think what most people that believe the S is going to HTF are missing is that none of this is an accident. This is all planned so that a very small group of people can literally rule the world with an iron fist. If you don't believe that now, you will in time.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
well for me is stay at home....i have 3 BOL i can go to... one is out in the country...thats the best of the 3 ...well it a roof over our heads...i have a 2 month old child...so my other 2 places would be hard on him....me i can survive in the woods in the winter...but a 2 month old will not...so home i stay...i have food 3 months worth,seeds,plenty of water.. and i have a backup generator and 35 gallons of gas..+ 3 tons of coal and 250 gallons of oil on hand.....i have a well and a hand pump setup to get it and a lake 30 yards from my front door...so i have fish too...also anything rabbits,squirls,deer...that travel my way..also have all the wood and fence i need set aside to board up to defend the house and a nice stock pile of ammo and firearms....and backup if need be can be called in we have a small network of like minded ppl i can call on

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I live in a city of about 10,000 and I'd say about half the citizens live in rural areas here. I live in a two story house. I have measured all the doors & windows. I have plastic to cover the windows first, then place plywood over the windows & doors followed by 2x4's covering the entire area. Yes, VERY expensive. But I want my house secure and you will need an ax to get in. But by then, I will hear you and introduce you to my shotgun.
However, I also have a bug out bag in the event the police or other Gov. people want to take over my residence. But considering how many animals I have, I'd probably die defending my home.
I was in the military. Heading out to the woods should be the last resort for anyone unless you are single and can carry 100 lbs on your back with all the survival items you would need. I'm a female and I would do it. But again, I love my babies and could not leave them behind.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have two questions here.

1. Where are you bugging out to? Who's land is it? Do you own it? Are you going to squat on it? Are you hoping you can trespass on someone else's land and remain hidden?

2. What are you going to defend your home against? If someone is trying to take that real property from you why do think that entity wouldn't take any of your other real property? You can't defend your home from an army or even a squad of police officers. Or perhaps it's not the government that you're trying to fend off because that's impossible. Rioters? Looters?

·
Here's a man who stood up
637 Posts
Everyone seems to look at only the "roving band of zombies" scenarios. What about a more realistic scenario; A train derails a mile from your home, it was carrying chlorine gas in twenty tanks, eight have ruptured forming a cloud heading your way. You have ZERO minutes to get out now, stay or go?

Or Ebola has broken out one block over from your house. There are police cars putting put barricades at the end of your block. A bunch of healh department guys show up in full suits and resperators telling you to stay put all is well. Stay or go?

You paid for your house stay and defend it? You cant defend your house against stuff like this. Thats why its good to have a B.O.B. and an alternate place to bug out to, childeren and all, in all types of weather.

·
Learning more each day
253 Posts
It really depends on the situation I live in a rural area only a few neighbors on our road Woods all around my house in fact until you come down the driveway 1/2 way you do not even see my house from the road. My plan for most all events is to stay in. We have food, water, guns, ammo, cooking items and skills to go several months without services such as electricity, and county water. So my plan is to wait it out, in a few rare types of threat, we could bug out to a remote location deep in the woods about 2 hrs away. We would be packing much lighter so the bug out plan would have to be a shorter timeline. While I have hunting, fishing, preserving & building skills. I would rather take my chances on my own property where I feel I have home court advantage. I say work on your skills and prepare for either or both. Odds are my favor to get all home and stay put ! Take the whole family camping and see how it goes this will greatly sharpen your skills on what you need and need to know about bugging out. ***Practice***Practice*** Practice***

1 - 20 of 26 Posts