Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys kinda new here I live in bagdad az and just have gotten into preping so I don't have much but I've got a bob/hunting pack and there's no way I could carry enough stuff for my family of 4. But I also have a fifthwheel I could load up and pull somewhere if I needed to. But my question is should I just stay home and protect the house? Bagdad is a small mining town of about 1200 ppl and you have to work here to be able to live here also there is nothing for anyone to want here so I highly doubt any radiers would show up. There is nothing but some ranches and a couple small communities within an hour of bagdad. What are your thoughts?
Thanks

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I think bugging in is always the first option unless you have a dedicated and protected location. It sounds like you are not in an urban area. With that many kids, I wouldn't see why bug-in shouldn't be your first option.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
In a small town like that, I think it is better to stay put. Part of your preps now though should be building relationships with your neighbors and community. The better relationships you have now the less apprehension you will have if things go bad when dealing with others in your community.

·
Five-O
127 Posts
As stated above, the goal is to be able to bug in at all costs but be flexible and prepared enough to bug out if needed.

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
Unless you have provisions in place at a private BOL, I would recommend buggin in. Life out on the road will be dangerous and it is worth it only if you have a designated area out in the boonies that you control and have long term provisions for an independent life.

Start planting fruit trees in your backyard now, grow a little vegetable garden, if you dont live in a restricted subdivision, put in a little chicken coop. Congradulations, you have already lept ahead because you are aware :thumb:

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Be fluid. Don't set your mind to one thing. Locate a Bug Out Location and be prepared to go there if necesary. Get a bug out bag for everybody. Have them ready. Chances are you will be able to use your car. If not, adapt. Wheelbarrow, trailer for a bicycle, maybe two carts, one for you and one for the Mrs.

More than anything, get your options together now. Don't wait until things get bad and then ask yourself what you are going to do.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Outlaw -- do you live in a small neighborhood....?.... could you start a small neighborhood garden area and grow a small group that way.... plus you could that way get some idea as to whom you might be able to trust/is like minded....

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
I agree with Vic. Bugging in should be option one if at all possible. Bugging out is a last ditch survival effort, or in case of necessary evacuation. So even if you plan to bug in, you should have a bug out plan as a backup. I mean chemical spills and localized disasters do happen, so it's just wise to have a plan for it just in case.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,417 Posts
You live, where most of us think of bugging to. I do not see any zombies out there.

You may have to contend with transportation issues with lots of trouble getting food, fuel, meds in a timely basis.

I would store up several years worth of food if you have the room.

Many areas along Hwy 93 have water issues. Do you have some stored above ground.

Western Arizona is probably supplied with electricity from Hover dam and Palo Verde nuc plant. You might want to consider PV panels.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Bugging out unless you have a place to go is also called fleeing. In all but the most dire situations fleeing is also known out of the frying pan into the fire.

In both stuations where you are bugging out to a known location or just fleeing, the ability to refuel will not exist. Therefore if you don't have the ability or the resource to to so, you may find yourself and family on foot.(Do you have a plan for this?) IMHO if bugging out to a known location, you must carry the needed fuel on you. You can't plan on the ability to refuel. If you are just fleeing you need to carry at least a tank full of extra fuel to be able to get beyond those who've run empty. Away from the crowds and the authorities and/or thugs they will attract. Understand that a lone family traveling the back roads is also known as: easy pickins.

·
1,313 Posts
We are bugging in. Bugging out would have to be the most extreme option for us. We have grand children from, 3 to 18...don't intend to live on the road with the grands. They need to know the normal feelings of their home.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Unless you have a reason to leave your hone, stay put.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts