Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site but not new to prepping. I am a former paramedic and firefighter and my husband and I are both veterans. I have a farm and are self reliant so we are planning on bugging in. However, if is the worst case, we are bugging out to our ranch. So, I thought I was covered and then I realized "What if I am not home, or my hubby is not home when it hits?" Therefore, I have made a bug out bag to get home.
So, I may be taking this to far because I don't see anyone else talking about it, but I think this is something to do, we need to get home before we can bug in. I remember seeing all of the people on 9/11 walking out of New York, and I thought to myself, we could be anywhere when whatever it is hits!
Therefore, I have made a backpack for 3-4 days to get us home. I live in Texas, so it is things we would need in my area. I will post my list and please add anything you think could be helpful.
Small first aid kit (home made)
Ice pack, miracool bandana, pony tail holder, toothbrush and paste, mouthwash (for antiseptic, sm hotel bottles), lotion, bug spray, face masks, gloves, bandages and tape, chap stick, soap (from hotel again), BC powder, neosporin, sewing or stitch kit, maxi pad (bandage for large wound), alcohol preps, ace bandage, sissors. Suncreen, hat, sunglasses, bug spray, rope, pepper spray, fire starter and matches, binoculars, swiss army knife and/or hunting knife, a hand crank flashlight/radio/charger, rain poncho, whistle, money in small bills and quarters, change of socks and undies, 3-4 days of precription medications, immodium, tylenol, lightweight food items like MRE's, power bars, tuna pkgs, trail mix, beef jerky, etc. 6x8 tarp, water, water, water! Let's not forget the weapons if you have them with you. I always keep extra ammo in the car and SUV anyway.
So, this is my bag, put it in the trunk of the car and one in the SUV, and whola! I think we would have a better chance of making it home.
Just a couple of tips, I find so much at the general dollar store that is a lot cheaper than anywhere else. If you take medication, when you go to your DR. ask him for samples and use them for your kit (including tylenol). Also, raid his stash for gloves, masks, and such if he will let you (just tell him what you are doing). Keep everything from hotels and put them in your bags. Even if you use the mouthwash, keep the sm bottle and refill it at home or put alcohol in it. Just a few ideas.:upsidedown:

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Yup, your are in good company, having a "get home bag" is a very common idea around here. I think researching such a thing is what brings many of the people to this site and there are countless threads on it, I think you'll find this a great place to share and learn.

Welcome from Kansas!

·
J the painter
7,932 Posts
welcome aboard, you know my only bug out places are the mountains and some family in Kansas, so bugging out will be hard for me, so ive really planned to hold out long as possible, but i did build a 3 month bug out bag for my Jeep, sounds crazy but if i dont make it home, im good for a while and hoefully could make home some time, but ive planned for not making it home for a while, obviously too much to list but pretty much everything you could think of

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
The one thing I missed in that list is a broken in pair of walking shoes. Preferably hiking boots, but a pair of tennis shoes may do.

One of the things I remember from 9-11 is seeing people, ( especially women) carrying their shoes and walking barefoot. Because their shoes which were fine for a day at the office were brutal for a long hike, even on sidewalks.

One other suggestion. I keep Life boat rations in my GHB (Get Home Bag). Because they will survive several years in a hot car. MREs will age quickly in a hot car in Texas.

And welcome to the forum. :)

·
J the painter
7,932 Posts
welcome aboard, you know my only bug out places are the mountains and some family in Kansas, so bugging out will be hard for me, so ive really planned to hold out long as possible, but i did build a 3 month bug out bag for my Jeep, sounds crazy but if i dont make it home, im good for a while and hoefully could make home some time, but ive planned for not making it home for a while, obviously too much to list but pretty much everything you could think of
oh yeah an since you cant have 3mo water in your bag , i have a very good Katadym water filter, its the only way

·
J the painter
7,932 Posts
The one thing I missed in that list is a broken in pair of walking shoes. Preferably hiking boots, but a pair of tennis shoes may do.

One of the things I remember from 9-11 is seeing people, ( especially women) carrying their shoes and walking barefoot. Because their shoes which were fine for a day at the office were brutal for a long hike, even on sidewalks.

One other suggestion. I keep Life boat rations in my GHB (Get Home Bag). Because they will survive several years in a hot car. MREs will age quickly in a hot car in Texas.

And welcome to the forum. :)
Life boat rations good idea, i actually just bring mine in every day, i bring it out every day

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
+1 on the Coast Guard food bars...its the only thing I can find that holds up to the temp changes <-- In my GHB

I have a 3-day GHB in the Truck lock box plus a good week's worth of supplies/camping gear

My plans are:

1. Get home
2. Bug In with truck loaded heavy
3. Bug out if needed by truck
4. Ditch truck and use 3-day BOB - MRE food (Terrible to get here - would not last long most likely)

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yes, and I do take my water backpack everywhere i go. It holds 3 liters and has the ceramic filter. I love love love it

·
Registered
358 Posts
thank you marcie for posting this. this is exactly the kind of info i've been looking for. a poster on my state prep website also suggested the broken in hiking shoes and wool socks. he said sam's club had a 3pack for 15$, but our local sam's did not have these:(
i think my biggest "fear" for getting home is in an earthquake situation....too many bridges between home and work. if a large earthquake occurs, i would be on foot at some point:(

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
thank you marcie for posting this. this is exactly the kind of info i've been looking for. a poster on my state prep website also suggested the broken in hiking shoes and wool socks. he said sam's club had a 3pack for 15$, but our local sam's did not have these:(
i think my biggest "fear" for getting home is in an earthquake situation....too many bridges between home and work. if a large earthquake occurs, i would be on foot at some point:(
Earthquakes would also be the biggest factor for me to get home. I have a 70 mile commute and a large shaker could potentialy close my only two short routes home. But if those are closed then it's probable my longer routes would be closed too. So I may just have to stay at work for a while so thats why I keep a well stocked GHB in my vehicles. I doubt I would try to walk because of the nasty terrain but have friends I could stay with or just camp out in our equipment yard until the roads are open.

Sounds like you are more in the city so your situation is different but if you have the need to walk home I would suggest getting a small handgun along with your GHB just in case. Perhaps a good pair of wire cutters also because if bridges are down you may have to cut some fences to get around them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Earthquakes would also be the biggest factor for me to get home. I have a 70 mile commute and a large shaker could potentialy close my only two short routes home. But if those are closed then it's probable my longer routes would be closed too. So I may just have to stay at work for a while so thats why I keep a well stocked GHB in my vehicles. I doubt I would try to walk because of the nasty terrain but have friends I could stay with or just camp out in our equipment yard until the roads are open.

Sounds like you are more in the city so your situation is different but if you have the need to walk home I would suggest getting a small handgun along with your GHB just in case. Perhaps a good pair of wire cutters also because if bridges are down you may have to cut some fences to get around them.
i do work in the largest town in our area, (50 mile round trip) and a handgun is in the works. the immediate group i work with are very much into our department being "self reliant" if shtf. i would probably have to stay at work short term (medical field) but then i will be headed for home!!!

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Best place to buy such an item ??
I get lifeboat rations from Ebay or Amazon.

Just search for " Datrex 3600 Calorie "

I have eaten some. They are basically biscuit with a mild coconut flavor.

Sitting in a life boat one package is a 3 day food supply.

Trekking home through and apocalyptic wasteland probably one package per day.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I was lucky enough to happen upon "Bug n Sun" brand insect repellant and sunscreen all in one, plus it's a pretty good lotion and contains essential oils that are recommended as a deodorant. So this one product replaces 4, saving weight. I have never been able to find it again though. It has a "non slip grip" for golfers, so that may be a good place to begin.
Good job with the kit. I think you'll get home in relative comfort once you get your boots broken in.

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, i have the ceramic water filter backback, it holds 3 liters. It is what the military uses and I bought mine at cheaper than dirt for $40.00. I carry it with me always. One thing, I also bought packets of water. In Texas, the streams and ponds are often dried up in the summer. I have a case of bottled water in each vehicle at all times too but trying to carry multiple bottles for long periods of time is not easy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts