Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some bug in and quarantine tips here if you are interested. What other additions would be good to add to this page?
http://wordsalad.info

There's info on 5 gallon bucket ideas and even how to quarantine a room. If you are forcibly quarantined you could be stuck in your house for at least 14 days, and unable to leave to get food, water, medicines, or anything else. So stock up.

This page is free to download and print, and all images are actually part of the HTML page so you don't need to save the images separately. Just save the HTML page and the images are there.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,289 Posts
If you are forcibly quarantined you could be stuck in your house for at least 14 days, and unable to leave to get food, water, medicines, or anything else. So stock up..
Help me out here......Please. What exactly is the thinking with this 14 days. I just don't understand this. So are people thinking this is like a snow storm......???

You get a warning it is coming, and in 14 days it is all done and everything is back to normal or better then normal, all is bliss and wonderful....???

Is this how the "Flu Season" works in America.....??? Or does it last for six or eight months.....??? So is it really like a snow storm or hurricane, it is all over in 14 days.....???

Or is it still lurking outside the security of your home, and caked on many surfaces you would likely touch. So I truly don't understand what the plan is after the 14 day period. What comes next....???

Seems to me people are going to need a lot more everything then 14 days of supplies. Surely I am missing a key point here.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
So....nearly everyone has a guest cottage on their estate....??? Just wondering.

I remain very confused about this 14 days thing.
I think the idea is if you get exposed, you quarantine yourself for
a fortnight to see if it actually develops. If it doesn't show in that period
then you don't have it.

There has been some argument about the actual number of days, though.

And yes, as soon as you go out among people again, you are at risk
of exposure to someone else who has it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think I will be semi-bugging in for the duration. Planning my shopping trips for fresh veg. To come from Wally’s pickup and leaving my clothes in the washer etc. on the way back in until it is confirmed that everyone has to stay inside. I’m vegetarian and my garden isn’t really producing yet.. I hate frozen veg... but I will try to get used to it. Ugh.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
So....nearly everyone has a guest cottage on their estate....??? Just wondering.

I remain very confused about this 14 days thing.
Government initially said 14, but then it was bumped up to 24 and then 27..... But people are stupid and didn't get the memmo.

Note: 27 is NOT "top end", merely the longest duration we know of.

If I do 14 I'm planning 90+

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
This is more of a TEOTWAWKI tutorial, it seems. But some tips are certainly valuable should you be quarantined by mandate due to contact with a potential source of infection. Don't discount it out of hand.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Do not confuse the flu with a bio weapon, they start off the same, then man meddle in nature, and folks dead all over the place.

Keep busy, clean, organize. Just dont lay around and get paranoid.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I pretty much think convid-19, 14 days sounds like the maximum incubation period, 27 is likely the days until it burns itself out if it don't kill you 1st..

I have been beginning to wonder whether this was a lab born virus..

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,289 Posts
Update (1235ET): New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced during his daily press update on Tuesday that he is establishing a 'containment zone' in the city of New Rochelle, the epicenter of the state's outbreak. All schools and businesses within one mile of the Westchester town will be closed for two weeks, and the National Guard will be sent in to help local police maintain order.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update (1235ET): New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced during his daily press update on Tuesday that he is establishing a 'containment zone' in the city of New Rochelle, the epicenter of the state's outbreak. All schools and businesses within one mile of the Westchester town will be closed for two weeks, and the National Guard will be sent in to help local police maintain order.
trial balloon + getting the NG operationally mobile. wont be the last 'containment zone' established

·
Banned
34,722 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The bug in concept is not logical to me. you get expose in the public so you hide, you go out get exposed again and hide again? The cycle continues. Reducing contact in crowds makes sense. Washing hands and face makes sense. No raw foods unless they are home grown makes sense. Staying home if you are ill makes sense. If you have a job and family to support, staying home is not a good idea. Eat a balanced diet, go to the doctor if ill and go to a real doctor, not the local shaman, chiropractor or naturalist. And follow the doctor's recommendations.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
The bug in concept is not logical to me. you get expose in the public so you hide, you go out get exposed again and hide again? The cycle continues. .
It is no wonder "bugging in" does not make sense to you.
You don't know what it is.

Allow me to explain what it is:

You stay home, and cut off contact with "the infected"
You do NOT "go out get exposed again"

You wait till the risk is past, you judge it a risk not worth mitigating by avoidance, or you are forced to.

I have not left the perimeter or allowed others in since I decided to stay home till we get solid info so I can judge the risk and take appropriate action.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,216 Posts
Back to tips, don't forget to plan for plenty of entertainment and ways to exercise the brain. There's only so much judge judy and honey boo boo any human being can watch.

·
Run Silent, Run Dark
892 Posts
At least they didn't pull '14 days' out they ass.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've lived thru three major earthquakes and three major riots (plus several smaller events) over the decades---my wife and I are in out "Golden years" so we are mostly retired---growing up poor makes me prepare with food, water, meds, batteries, ammo, etc. well ahead of the ignorant crowds---not "End of the world" type preps, but a few months worth anyway---I am surprised when people tell me they have nothing---are they really that unprepared? This is a rich country---certainly they can pick-up a few extra cans of food when they shop and build-up a stash for an emergency? That old "72 hour" rule is not the answer, but better than nothing... Stay healthy folks!

·
Wasteland Wanderer
540 Posts
It is no wonder "bugging in" does not make sense to you.
You don't know what it is.

Allow me to explain what it is:

You stay home, and cut off contact with "the infected"
You do NOT "go out get exposed again"

You wait till the risk is past, you judge it a risk not worth mitigating by avoidance, or you are forced to.

I have not left the perimeter or allowed others in since I decided to stay home till we get solid info so I can judge the risk and take appropriate action.
The idea is that if you are exposed you stay home for the 14 days. Within 14 days of exposure you should develop symptoms if you were infected. At that point, you continue to isolate.

The isolation is to protect others from you, not yourself.

There are lots of flaws of course. You could carry and not show symptoms thus presenting a danger when your isolation ends. The system also depends on perfect compliance from everyone else, which we all know is just not realistic.

I am not currently isolating, although my dentist cancelled my appointment because I did admit to having a sore throat. I can't blame her, better safe than sorry. If I had a cough or fever I wouldn't be going out, but for now it's business as usual, just making sure we are ready if we are told not to leave the apartment for an indefinite period.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts