Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to budget lately I'm sadly restricted to $300 for a long gun and can't decide between a 12 guage shotgun (pump) or a mosin nagant.What are some pros and cons of each? Haven't seen a mosin worth buying locally but I saw a used Remington 870 at gander mountain yesterday for $199 and I'm very tempted to buy it due to the versatility of a pump shotgun. However if anybody has ideas for another weapon that would make a great "all around" defensive/hunting weapon around the $300 price range other than the two stated above. Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd go shotgun given those options. Mosins tend to be clunky to operate, and in my experience, honestly lack the accuracy to take advantage of the cartridge's ballistics. The Mosin isn't really great at food gathering, it's too slow for close range defense, and not precise enough for long range stuff.

For $300, an SKS would dominate either option. A 30-30 lever would be good too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd get the shotgun and sink $100 in some 00 and rifled slugs unless it has a slug barrel.

The Mosin boat has sailed IMO.
That's the direction I'm leaning towards. However the Remington has a rifled barrel and the barrel I'd want/need for it is about $180 online so I'm going over my **** poor budget on just the weapon. As far as mosins go it's definitely a kick in the nuts seeing the prices higher than willie nelson compared to what they used to be. Definitely regretting not buying one or thirty when they were dirt cheap

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
That's the direction I'm leaning towards. However the Remington has a rifled barrel and the barrel I'd want/need for it is about $180 online so I'm going over my **** poor budget on just the weapon. As far as mosins go it's definitely a kick in the nuts seeing the prices higher than willie nelson compared to what they used to be. Definitely regretting not buying one or thirty when they were dirt cheap
(mossberg) maverick 88 is about 180 and is a solid shotgun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd go shotgun given those options. Mosins tend to be clunky to operate, and in my experience, honestly lack the accuracy to take advantage of the cartridge's ballistics. The Mosin isn't really great at food gathering, it's too slow for close range defense, and not precise enough for long range stuff.

Not trying to argue or be disrespectful, but could you elaborate as how the 7.62x54 is "too slow" for close range? I've never had experience with the mosin platform but have seen various statements categorizing the round to be ballistically similar to 30-06

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(mossberg) maverick 88 is about 180 and is a solid shotgun.
Looked into it. I just prefer remington lol. I've owned Mossbergs and they're outstanding weapons but I just love a remington pump. As long as it's an 870 :D: the 887s just seem finnicky to me and are fairly rare compared to the older platform

·
Registered
491 Posts
Mosin's are getting more expensive, and so is their ammo. I enjoy my mosin, but if I were to do over at this point in time it would be with another firearm.

You can buy steel cased .308 for cheaper than spam can 7.62x54R right now, ~.34 cents vs .~40. Savage make nice inexpensive entry level rifles. For example, http://www.southernshootersgunsandg...-bolt-308-winchester-22-black-synthetic-black. The axis models have really "meh" triggers, I own one in .223, but great barrels.

If they can reliably shoot steel case with hard primers, I'd jump on a Savage .308. If you are not open to getting a different rifle caliber, get the shotgun for sure.

Edit: http://grabagun.com/sav-axis-ii-xp-308-22-syn.html This one is above your budget but has a better trigger and scope of unknown quality.

·
Born to prep
3,538 Posts
Not trying to argue or be disrespectful, but could you elaborate as how the 7.62x54 is "too slow" for close range? I've never had experience with the mosin platform but have seen various statements categorizing the round to be ballistically similar to 30-06
The action is to slow not the projectile. One can can operate a pump shotgun faster then the bolt on mosin.

·
Start up the rotors
7,648 Posts
Mosins were great when they were $99. Not so much now...

A 12ga pump will serve you well. Pardner, Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Maverick, H&R, Stevens, whatever...

Also look into the Savage and Mossberg budget bolt action lines. They're solid budget guns, and wouldn't be bad choices.

Reactions: Gva

·
Banned
7,064 Posts

What he said, but I wouldn't put down the Mosin as much. One with a good barrel and some work can group pretty good at 200 to 300 yards. I would not pass it up, but if you had to pick one....yeah the 12 g because you can do much more with it.

·
MAGA
5,949 Posts
Still go with the shotgun get slugs and save up for the smooth barrel.

Check ebay
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/remington-870-barrel

·
reluctant sinner
16,914 Posts
I like my 870 Express. I cut the barrel to 20" and installed screw in choke(s). It has a pistol grip and extended magazine. The sling carries 10 rounds. I put a mid bead in the rib to serve as a rear sight for shooting my cast Lyman 1.25 ounce sabot slugs. 3# coffee cans at 90 yards using my favorite tube that marked skeet #2. Not bad for a smooth bore. I take it to the trap/skeet/sporting clays range for fun. I also use it to hunt upland.

I only load 2.75" shells but they are 3 3/4 DE 1 1/4 ounce of shot or slugs. I also cast my own OO and #4 buckshot plus the slugs.

I like the factory 3" with plated and buffered 18 pellets of OO or 41 pellets of #4.

You can find used 870's for as little as $100. The old Lee loader will work, I bought a deluxe one off e bay for my INCH cart about 10 years ago for $25. Otherwise I use a Hornady reloading press.

You should look into a chamber adapter and learn to index it so it will shoot somewhat accurately. A 22LR and your pistol round would be good choices.

I have nothing against Mosies. I have yet to see one that can out shoot my made in 1936 JP Sauer 98 Mauser. My 44 Obendorf was as crude as the Moises but it shot better because I loaded for it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
6-7 yrs ago I had divested all of my firearms to the kids- not one in the house.

When I got spooked or woke up - whatever - I started close in and worked out for range. .45 M&P, .12 guage then went down range from there. .223s for 500, 300, & -100. The .308s for farther.

Each has its purpose- distance & application. There's also a place for .22 LR for me.

All for my reasons. And they probably aren't yours. I worked out from zero yds. My choice. And I layered it as time & funds allowed. Happy hunting.

You're on your own with your own decisions to make - for your reasons.

As an aside - my wife is small framed & can handle the .12 guage or .45. But DEFINITELY prefers the .22's. She can put 25 in under 30 seconds in a 4" group at 25 yds. You might not be the only one holding that weapon. Just sayin.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
He was referring to the gun itself being too long/large and therefore too "slow" to get on target.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
34,333 Posts
<$300
SKS
30-30 (marlin or winchester)

In that order.

I've got them all, also mosins's, mausers, enfield, K31's, etc.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I said the Mosin is too slow for close range. It's got a clunky crude bolt, which gets sticky and difficult to extract. Whipping out a mallet to beat the Mosin's bolt open in the middle of a firefight would be less than ideal.

Also the Mosin is heavy, and the 91/30s are very long, so they are slower to bring to bear on target.

The 7.62x54r's projectile is steller if it actually connects with flesh.

I've got a half-dozen milsurps, and they all trounce the Mosin in terms of accuracy. Yeah, a squad of Russians could fire on a squad of Germans during WW2 and get some hits, but during a survival situation the Mosin is not minute-of-varmint... and not really mano-v-mano accurate either. By the time you get in range, the Mosin is handicapped by it's clumsiness.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts