Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,163 Posts
Another option is a chinese diesel heater. Has a heat exchanger and is a vented heater, with 12V blower and thermostat.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’d forgotten about the diesel heaters! Never been around them so no option on them!

I’ll have to mention the filter to my friend as I don’t remember him mentioning that before.

I may of miss spoke I meant to say he had luck repairing only some issues and ended up considering them simi-disposable.

The smallest kerosene heaters start at around 4K BTU’s and there are many in the 8.5K-9K BTU’s size! The large convection is commonly 23K BTU’s, but there are many choices.

Kerosene ages well if given a chance! Keep it in a clean temperate environment and it should last 5 years in a well sealed plastic kerosene jug! Add PRI-D to it and you can maybe double that time. Store it in a well sealed metal drum with PRI-D and you can likely double that again! The fuel I was burning a couple weeks ago was likely 15 years old. My tag fell off and got lost so my purchase date is approximate! It could be 5 years older than that since I can’t remember if I filled it here or while living in my last house! Either way treated and sealed in a metal drum in an unheated barn it burns beautifully years later!

SD

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Going on around 10 years on a big buddy 2 element heater. Sees frequent use in shoulder seasons, and daily use in the winter.

Stored year round on our covered deck, simply for convenience / ease of use. Used for both supplemental indoor heat and comfort heat on the deck. As well as back up heat in case of outage.

2 regular single element buddy heaters for camping, extra back up if needs be. Stored in there originally boxes when not in use. Around a decade on 1, 5 years "ish" on the other.

We use the filters when running off tanks (5,20,30 lb) AND let the lines run empty / turn off at the tank valve, when done heating.

I shoot air at the big buddies elements if it hasn't been used in a while, and before using it as supplement heat. Simply because its stored open to help clear out dust/cob webs.

Used the fan on it for a short bit, but now simply use fans if supplemental heat. Have battery fans, however is also fine without fans if needs be. Just not as nice evened out heat.

Always use CO detectors indoors/camper. We never leave them untended/don't sleep with them running, no need. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I've gone through more Mr. Heaters than I care to count!!!!! I purchased a Harbour Freight unit and have NEVER been happier going on 5 years now!!! Yeah, go ahead and dump your HF rant, then laugh at yourself when done! The Mr. heaters would burn out the thermocoupler a few times in a season and would have to be replaced, not so with the HF unit! The HF unit seems to have a better control knob, and the TC isn't as close as the MH units, making it last that much longer. Good Luck
Didn't know HF had them. Far as I can tell they no longer do.

If they do still carry ceramic element units (Mr Heater knockoffs), care to link to such?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,202 Posts
I have a little buddy heater that's about 30 years old. Still going strong. But it only gets used about 30 minutes a day during the cold part of winter, which here is only a few months long. But it had held up well to a couple moves and being tossed around a lot, taken camping a few times, etc. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if something unrepairable happened to this one.

·
Midwest Born
1,061 Posts
I have the one burner buddy heater, that takes the 1lb bottles or the 15lb attachment. it is 20 years old. the automatic lighter does not work anymore, but a bbq lighter suffices. It is used primarily in my garage in the winter, it is a pretty simple machine I see no reason why it wouldn't work daily long term.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have the one burner buddy heater, that takes the 1lb bottles or the 15lb attachment. it is 20 years old. the automatic lighter does not work anymore, but a bbq lighter suffices. It is used primarily in my garage in the winter, it is a pretty simple machine I see no reason why it wouldn't work daily long term.
Newer ones likely have "Nanny State" gadgets/gizmos. Cut offs/tip over/low oxygen protection etc.

The more complex, the more likely to fail. No idea on workarounds, however some gadgets likely could be worked around. Some gadgets would likely require replacement vs bypass. Thermocouple as an ex, of a part which would likely require replacement.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts