Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For general use of a shotgun - say less then 50 yards, which would you prefer buckshot or slug?

Of course a lot of it will depend on what kind of choke you are using. My mossberg 590 is almost useless at 35 yards. Winchester 00 buckshot, only one pellet hit the target. But then again, the Mossberg 590 does not have a choke.

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
A slug will do it's job at close range and longer ranges but the penetration is too great for in home use.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
I had similar trouble with my 590, but I spent a dime, and modified it with a screw in choke tube.
Cost a hundred bucks, but patterns well now.
however, I can not shoot slugs anymore.
No matter, I don't have any of the either.

·
BASS
2,255 Posts
Unless you have a slug barreled shotgun, buckshot is best. Many shotgun barrels do not shoot slugs accurately at all.

BTW: #4 buck takes down a lot of edible critters besides deer at extended ranges. :rolleyes:

·
Bassmaster
2,263 Posts
I have a sawed off 12 ga. #4 buck is good to 35 yards. Don't care much for slugs. Might as well have a good rifle. Main purpose of a shotgun is many pellets hitting your target.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
00 buckshot. I have one gun set for slugs, (Barreled) and all it gets is Brenneke magnums. excellent pattern on the A5, going to pattern the 48AL, Stevens has a old adjustable choke on it.Remington got a used slug barrel and a set of ghost ring sights. its my slugster.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,177 Posts
For inside 50 yards, I strongly prefer buckshot.

Oddly enough, I run buckshot and slugs through a full choke. I get good performance from the buckshot out to almost 50 yards, and the slugs I shoot (Brenneke KOs) shoot better from a full choke than cylinder bore or other chokes.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've checked this out also. Shooting a variety of IC choked guns showed a propensity to start throwing at least one 00 ball off of a man size target around 15-20yds.

Not an issue if collateral damage is not a concern. If hitting an innocent person is possible, I would never use 00 buck past 15yrs with a IC choke gun.

·
Lord of Irrelevance
550 Posts
I like to stock slugs, 00, 000, and #2 exclusively. All are effective

I generally have the 500's loaded up with #2 in the house and always 3 slugs in the shell carrier. Out and about I'll ramp it up to 00 buck and the same amount of slugs as spares

1 - 20 of 42 Posts