Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys you've been really helpful here with every question I have got one more to ask I got a gerber profile fixed blade, love the knife its great nothing wrong with it.. But I've been looking at the Buck 119 it looks like a really good knife it's 41 bucks.. Im considering it, don't know yet wanted to get your guys insight on the knife.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Hey, guys you've been really helpful here with every question I have got one more to ask I got a gerber profile fixed blade, love the knife its great nothing wrong with it.. But I've been looking at the Buck 119 it looks like a really good knife it's 41 bucks.. Im considering it, don't know yet wanted to get your guys insight on the knife.
Been making that model for about 50 years.
I think it and the 110 are probably Buck's biggest sellers over time.

Never heard anyone seriously diss either one.

If you're looking at the WallyWorld variety, far as I know it's the same knife, but has nylon instead of leather sheath, at least ours around here do.

If you want the leather, Amazon has it for 47.61, free shipping. And no tax.

Amazon.com: Buck 0119BKS-B Special Fixed Blade Knife: Sports & Outdoors

- OS

·
Researchologist
331 Posts
Disclaimer; I have no personal experience with the knife.

The infamous 119 is made by one of the most recognized names in knife making. It's considered to be a amazing knife but not quite a work horse when compared to some more expensive blades. Yes, when it comes to being used solely as a knife then it will work perfectly. It may be more difficult to sharpen but as all Buck knives it is said to hold a crazy edge. The blade sees complaints when people tend to use it as a pry-bar, axe or hammer. But then again it's a knife. The only thing that has kept me from buying it is the handle. I just can't see using a smooth handle.

If you're wanting something that can take the abuse of cutting and chopping then go with an ESEE knife.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It's a hunting knife. It would serve ok as a combat knife...

It's very sharp. It's made out of 420HC with an EXCELLENT heat treat. It's made in the USA. It's a full tang design. It's handle material is bascially indestructable.

It has a very thin grind and will be very sharp. It's a great slicer but if you're looking for a chopping bushcraft knife, look elsewhere. I keep mine as a hunting/defensive tool and when it comes time for hard use, switch to something different. I think the thin profile on the 119 just wouldn't handle chopping and the like.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I have one and have had it for years. It will do the intended job a knife is supposed to do. I've even batoned thin pieces of wood with it.( 2 inches in diameter and smaller) Just like any other stainless steel its a bit more time consuming to sharpen but not as hideous as some make it out to be. For the price, it's worth every penny.

·
keep your powder dry
314 Posts
It's a hunting knife. It would serve ok as a combat knife...

It's very sharp. It's made out of 420HC with an EXCELLENT heat treat. It's made in the USA. It's a full tang design. It's handle material is bascially indestructable.

It has a very thin grind and will be very sharp. It's a great slicer but if you're looking for a chopping bushcraft knife, look elsewhere. I keep mine as a hunting/defensive tool and when it comes time for hard use, switch to something different. I think the thin profile on the 119 just wouldn't handle chopping and the like.
What is said right here is a very good idea of what you are getting with this knife, its qualities and capabilities.

- 420hc is a very corrosion resistant stainless, but it is also very hard (rc 58 IIRC, so no batoning or tasks you would normally subject a more resilent carbon-steel type blade to.)

- I have had no problems putting (and keeping) a decent edge on mine with a Spyderco Sharpmaker. 5-10 minutes of sharpening is all that is needed. Thats why I love Buck's 420hc and Victorinox's swiss army steel : very easy to sharpen. 95% of my knives are either Bucks or Victorinox for this reason. Unlike the vast majority of others, I have an easier time sharpening stainless steel than carbon :xeye:

- The nylon sheath is a solid 7 out of 10. It keeps it secure. Its a simple sheath, not much to say about it. There is a plastic insert to prevent the blade from cutting into the sheath.

Its a classic. I would get it if I were you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got the Buck 105 Pathfinder. Not as big as the 119, but I like it for it's easy handling for most tasks around the camp. The 110 Folding Hunter is also a great tool, IMO.

However, I also have a full size Ka-Bar for heavier tasks.

Different tools for different jobs.

Still, I think you will be pleased with the 119. Buck makes VERY solid products.

GB7

·
Registered
755 Posts
I ask this in all sincerity you said you have a kabar for heavier tasks but the buck is full tang and the kabar is stick tang. Would not the buck be stronger or are you basing strength on the 1095 vs the 420HC

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I have a couple of 119s, as well as others of similar size. the Buck is a great knife, I think it will do anything you want it to. I've batoned with it with no trouble, branches up to 3" thick. I've seen reports that it will not stand up to torque, so don't use it to twist apart stubborn pieces, or to pry with. I generally avoid batoning, I don't like to do it to a good knife, that's what axes and saws are for.
If you don't like the smooth plastic handle, it's pretty easy to replace with another of wood or micarta if you want to.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Been making that model for about 50 years.
I think it and the 110 are probably Buck's biggest sellers over time.

Never heard anyone seriously diss either one.

If you're looking at the WallyWorld variety, far as I know it's the same knife, but has nylon instead of leather sheath, at least ours around here do.

If you want the leather, Amazon has it for 47.61, free shipping. And no tax.

Amazon.com: Buck 0119BKS-B Special Fixed Blade Knife: Sports & Outdoors

- OS
Get the leather

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I got my 119 the year I got married (21 years ago), and it is still serving me well. Though I now own several other fixed blade knives (RAT, Cold Steel, Benchmade, and a few customs), but none will do any more than my old Buck.

·
keep your powder dry
314 Posts
I ask this in all sincerity you said you have a kabar for heavier tasks but the buck is full tang and the kabar is stick tang. Would not the buck be stronger or are you basing strength on the 1095 vs the 420HC
IIRC, I believe its because of how Buck heat treats the steel. 420J2, the steel used on a lot of crap knives, is extremely corrosion resistant and sort of soft. Buck's excellent heat treat takes normal 420 and hardens it quite a bit, resulting in a knife a little less corrosion resistant, but extremely easy to sharpen and that has good wear resistance. However, because of this heat-treat, it makes the knife steel more brittle, which is why you see and hear of many Buck knives (especially the 110 folding hunter) that have their tips snapped off. I wouldn't pry with any of Buck's knives, with the exception of those models that have wide drop point blades.

Carbon steel, especially 1095, is more forgiving of abuse and is much less brittle, even though both carbon steel and Buck's 420hc are around the same on the rockwell hardness scale (58-59 I think).

Im no scientist, but thats what Ive gathered from lurking around the good folks at knifeforums and bladeforums.com. Good sites if you are interested in knives :thumb:

·
We All Bleed Red...
94 Posts
The 119 is an Excellent knife! My grandpa gave me one about 13 years ago. I've used it hard every summer. It's made cabins and fires when I didn't have an ax, cleaned fish, butchered cows and pigs...you name it! Holds a very sharp edge, but chips a little if your buddy thinks it's a throwing knife, and it lands on rocks...I would definately recomend getting one! Just be careful, as blood and water can make the smooth handle a little slippery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.