Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 20 pound propane refill is 17 bucks which contains around 4.2 gallons.

A gallon of white gas cost 11 bucks at walmart. I am comparing BTU values per gallon.

My point. I have a coleman cook stove where I got a 20 dollar attachment to hook up propane.

I can find the number of BTU's per gallon of propane but cannot find for white gas. I would assume that propane would be cheaper. I would run my stuff on propane.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,261 Posts
White gas is similar enough to gasoline that the BTU numbers are close. Gas has more BTUs than propane. Kerosene has more BTUs than gas.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
I don't know why some people are paying $4 per gallon for propane. Around here it is $3 per gallon and gasoline is $4.00 to $4.20 per gallon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ive used ten year old white gas w no issues... ive been winter camping and have had my LP tanks freeze up ...never had that issue with white gas,, and some whit gas units will run on regular gas or even leaded fuels just fyi

·
Registered
630 Posts
White gas is the old form of gasoline, it has an octane rating of 50, this is what they use to run model "t"s off of because they only have a 4 to 1 compression ratio. Todays unleaded gas is over 85 octane, but since it has no lead anymore in it you can run it in coleman stoves so when you really get down to it it's around the same to use cost wise as propane and it is all that i use anymore. propane has to be under pressure to stay liquid, once it's used up how are you going to refill it to where you can use the gas out of your car to cook with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts