Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have shot both the sportsman's rifle, and the military arm (fired from an open bolt). I liked them both. I think that if you get a Browning BAR, you will have a good rifle.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have wanted one of these for a while now. I just acquired a browning ab3 bolt gun in 30-06. If I like it enough I might move into the browning semi auto world! not sure what caliber would be good, I was thinking .308 in the safari, but 30-06 you can load a heavier projectile???

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,337 Posts
I've always wanted one. They have so many flavors, it's likely I could configure one exactly the way I'd like.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I haven't shot one but I know guys that do. The new FN made models are pretty good all around rifles. Get it, you will like it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I had one in 7mm Rem Mag that I've given to one of my sons-in-law...I bought it for the reduced recoil that the action provides not for the rapid second shot--which came in helpful a couple of times...It's accounted for numerous deer, a couple of black bear and four or five moose.

My daughter has one in 7mm-08 that she really likes and another daughter has one in .325 WSM that she used for moose but it was a little heavy recoiling for her so I got it...She picked up another 7mm-08 for herself.

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
I've killed many deer with one chambered in 30-06, with a 3.5x10x50mm Leupold VX-III scope. 165 grain Ballistic tip handloads worked wonders inside 200 yards. That was before I moved up to a Remington 700 in 7mm, which is effective at 400+ yards

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have friends who have BAR's and they have trouble shooting the ammo that they have reloaded from shooting it the first time. I have a 22Lr and I love the gun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had one in 270 Winchester many years ago. While it was very reliable, I could not get less than 3" groups at 100 yards no matter what ammo I fed it, factory or handloads. It would string them vertically. That was not enough "precision" for my liking so I sold it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had one in 270 Winchester many years ago. While it was very reliable, I could not get less than 3" groups at 100 yards no matter what ammo I fed it, factory or handloads. It would string them vertically. That was not enough "precision" for my liking so I sold it.
Supposedly browning has fixed the accuracy issue and the rifles are capable of much better now. But I would like to hear from someone with real world experience with a new model of the rifle.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Between the BAR and BLR we have 9 rifles bought from the mid 1970s to a few years ago and we've never had difficulties with their accuracy as long as we didn't hope for benchrest quality...They all group into 1¾" to 2¼" which is more than adequate for our needs.

The 7mm Rem mag is the oldest and it holds just around 2" as does a newer BLR in .358 Win...Both 7mm-08s are the newest and they hold a little tighter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had two (2) BAR's, one in 30-06 the other in 300 win mag. I've still got the '06 and sold the 300 mag. Both were the older models, but from seeing others at the range with the new models, I don't see where they have improved on their accuracy.

My '06 shoots 150/165 and 180 grain bullets into 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards. The 300 mag shot 5 inch groups at 100 yards with the same Sierra bullets. They are fast handling and are at their best in heavy cover IMO.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Has anybody on here ever shot one of these and what is your opinion on hunting with a semi auto

Not the WWII version. I mean this one.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=002B&catalog_=B
Nothing wrong with using a well made, reliable, and accurate semiauto rifle for hunting. And a current made BAR would qualify from my experience. Chrome lined chambers, and well built magazines give them plenty of durability in terms of hunting. My old one chambered in 3006 produced 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards with 165gr factory hunting fodder of consistent quality.
I would prefer a set of iron sights to back up the optic personally, but not that important as a sport hunting tool for some folks.
I have hunted just about every medium and big game critter on this continent using an M14S with 18.5in bbl. Small game using a all stock Ruger 1022. Iron sights as well as optics. From wide open spaces into thick brush and swampland.

Semiauto is especially handy when taking multiple critters in a handful of seconds...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I have wanted one of these for a while now. I just acquired a browning ab3 bolt gun in 30-06. If I like it enough I might move into the browning semi auto world! not sure what caliber would be good, I was thinking .308 in the safari, but 30-06 you can load a heavier projectile???
Either flavor would make for a great hunting rifle and ability to hunt any natural critter in N.A. A BAR chambered in 3006 would be the better choice in your case since your bolt gun is chambered for this cartridge. ..imo. :)

I would suggest testing various bullet weights through your specific rifles to find out what it likes the best. 165 gr to 220 gr to start in the case of 3006.

I went with 308 because I prefer a different type of semiautomatic rifle. MIne shoots a specific load using the Barnes 168gr tipped triple shock bullet a tad better than my former big game load did using the Sierra 165gr game king hpbt.......

Below pics . Both the moose and bison taken at over 200 yards using 168gr ttsx pushed out of a 308 case. Rifle used was an 18.5in bbl M14S/ Arms18 mount/Leupold 1-4×20mm optic.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I haven't shot one but I know guys that do. The new FN made models are pretty good all around rifles. Get it, you will like it.
Speakin of FN and semiautomatic rifles, the guy below prefers his SCAR17S ( Deer, moose, caribou, and brown bear)

100 to 120 yards right behind the shoulder blowing thru both lungs using one 168gr Nosier partition match grade projectile launched out of a 308 case.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts