Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Live Action
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am moving to Colorado (honestly can't wait to leave Maryland) in a few months and am looking for a new rifle. I currently have a Marlin 30-30 but am looking for a rifle with increased range for hunting and blowing holes through paper.

Sadly this is not a "what is the ultimate SHTF rifle" thread. I know everyone here has the perfect answer whether it be a AR with lights, lasers, bi-pod, scopes, infrared, and a chainsaw attachment or the person who claims they will carry three rifles, a shotgun, a crossbow with exploding arrows and at least 12 pistols. Yes I wanted to get that out. Viewing threads for the last year or so on this site does that to me. :p

Now to get down to business. I love deer hunting and throwing lead down range. I have shot bolt action rifles for years but want the auto loading feature mainly for target shooting and fun factor. I was in the military so I have shot M16 and M4 rifles. I am not looking for an AR (or AK) but instead a more traditional looking weapon. So far I have ended up considering the BAR and M1A. Both rifles have the option of synthetic which I prefer.

Browning BAR ShortTrac

-Multiple options of caliber type: I am a fan of .270, 30-06, and the .308. I would even consider the .243 as I hear it is a good round for deer.
-A little less weight than the M1A. It is roughly 7 pounds or so pounds
-I heard they are reliable from reviews but I prefer personal experience
-Not sure how good the accuracy is on these rifles
-Only can hold 4 rounds. No high cap mags. Not a problem for hunting but could get annoying for target shooting.

Springfield Armory M1A

-Only comes is .308 but that is a proven caliber
-Rather heavy. The scout comes in at roughly 9 pounds.
-Extreme reliability
-Need a scope mount. I know Sadlak and Basset make good ones.
-Rather good accuracy. At least good enough to drop a deer in one shot at 300 or so yards
-Biggest problem I see is the cheek weld. Even with the lowest scope rings you only have a chin weld. Aftermarket stocks run over 500 to fix the problem or I could get a cheek pad. I prefer permanent fixes.

That being said I have also considered the Benelli R1 and the Remington 750. I have read a couple reviews on each but never heard any personal experiences. I would be interested in any insight for these or similar weapons.
Thanks for any advice my friends.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You answered your own question. Putting a scope on an M1A is a goat rope at best.
For a hunting rifle stick with the BAR in whatever caliber you like. I have both, each has their place.

·
Dangerous Old Man
997 Posts
I personally own an M1a "loaded".

9.5 pounds, iron sights, dressed in wood.

I can hit an 8" gong 90% at 400 yards (my eyes still work really well).

While I have no hands-on experience with the Browning, they do make some mighty fine firearms.....pretty too.

What you need to ask yourself is, which one suits YOUR needs.

I have different rifles for different applications.

Remington 700 PSS, in .308 for serious target competition.
M1a for hunting and range fun... at the range I go to, I will put that M1a up against the guys with "Hubble telescopes" on their rifles just for bragging rights.

Get the rifle that fits YOU and YOUR needs.

·
Layman
2,730 Posts
I can hit an 8" gong 90% at 400 yards (my eyes still work really well).
woo wee that is some good shooting!

anyways Ive shot both ( BAR and M1A ) but I prefer the m1a..

I would say try to shoot both before making a decision.

·
Live Action
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

How is the accuracy on the BAR? Also do you have problems with cheek weld if scoped? Thanks in advance

·
Dangerous Old Man
997 Posts

It took a LOT of money and time to get there.

Several pounds of powder and an untold number of projectiles.:eek:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My dad had a Belgium made BAR and it was a beautiful rifle to shoot. I have not shot any of the modern versions however. Another rifle you may want to consider is the FNAR, it is based off of the BAR however it has a few updated features and does have detachable box magazines that allow for larger or smaller magazines depending on the situation.

·
Layman
2,730 Posts
How is the accuracy on the BAR? Also do you have problems with cheek weld if scoped? Thanks in advance
Well, accurate enough to make a doe stop dead in her tracks at 100 yards. I don't really notice any issues with the scope on it. the one I deal with had a 3-9x40 on it. we haven't done any long range shooting with it.

both rifles are superb

we did have a firing pin bust on the BAR once though, but that can happen with any rifle. it is an older BAR too.

·
Layman
2,730 Posts
It took a LOT of money and time to get there.

Several pounds of powder and an untold number of projectiles.:eek:
I've only shot milk jugs out at 250 with mine

last time I went out I couldn't make a hit :-/

I need to practice more...

does the loaded model have the match rear sight?

·
Dangerous Old Man
997 Posts
I've only shot milk jugs out at 250 with mine

last time I went out I couldn't make a hit :-/

I need to practice more...

does the loaded model have the match rear sight?

The "loaded" has the smaller aperture, but not the hooded, 1/2moa national match sights.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts