Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at .223 ammo today and found this.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/...-brown-bear-62gr-fmj-ammo&manufacturers_id=20

Now some say "Don't even think it." some say "good but you can do better. oo look at the price BUY IT."

what do you guys say? I hear conflicting reports of the coating. Some say its lacquer some say its not. I have been looking on google and here and nothing.

Anyways here is what its going to be going trough.

http://www.del-ton.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DT1007&CartID=1

I'm going to get it chrome lined. But am not sure if it would be good ammo or not. I'm freaking broke and want to plink around and stock some away.

Will this be ok to shoot through my AR?

·
357 Mag, sex for the hand
439 Posts
No experince with laquer .223. But the word is on laquer coating to my understanding is when you get that chamber nice and warm, that lacquer sticks to the chamber and causes build up (causing failure to extracts). Im sure if you clean everytime you shoot it isnt a issue. I have a few hundred 7.62 x 39 lacquer rounds just for the weather resistance of it. Dosnt fully address your question, but it is somthing to think about.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I do know what is does. I'm just wondering about if it is or not. I'm also looking into wolf with the poly coating.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
653 Posts
I chew through the .223 Russian stuff all the time, never has any problems, only Issue I've ever had was a split neck in a new WINCHESTER case.... It can be a bit rough on extractors, but extractors are cheap and you can get 7-10k rds between replacement.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I chew through the .223 Russian stuff all the time, never has any problems, only Issue I've ever had was a split neck in a new WINCHESTER case.... It can be a bit rough on extractors, but extractors are cheap and you can get 7-10k rds between replacement.
What's the deal with lacquer stuff? thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
it all depends on if YOUR weapon likes that ammo. if it doesnt have alot of duds and your weapon likes it and it is accurate in YOUR weapon then get what your weapon likes no matter what any1 says. who cares what they say. lesson to what YOUR weapon is telling you :thumb:

just because some ammo cost alot more than others,doesnt make it best ammo for YOUR weapon

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it all depends on if YOUR weapon likes that ammo. if it doesnt have alot of duds and your weapon likes it and it is accurate in YOUR weapon then get what your weapon likes no matter what any1 says. who cares what they say. lesson to what YOUR weapon is telling you :thumb:

just because some ammo cost alot more than others,doesnt make it best ammo for YOUR weapon
Yeah I know. I just don't want my chamber or anything getting messed up.

·
Banned
653 Posts
What's the deal with lacquer stuff? thanks for your reply.
There isn't.
I've shot as much as 750+ rds a day of that stuff at the range, never had the chamber "lacquer" up like some people state. If its ever happened, it had to have happened with the older 1st run Wolf that was imported in the 1990's. Since then all those manufactures have changed the case coatings to reduce / eliminate that problem. (going from lacquer coating to a temp resistant polymer coating) Now days its more urban legend than anything else.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There isn't.
I've shot as much as 750+ rds a day of that stuff at the range, never had the chamber "lacquer" up like some people state. If its ever happened, it had to have happened with the older 1st run Wolf that was imported in the 1990's. Since then all those manufactures have changed the case coatings to reduce / eliminate that problem. (going from lacquer coating to a temp resistant polymer coating) Now days its more urban legend than anything else.
So would you say yes or no to brown bear?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've fired Brown Bear through two different weapons. The first was a Glock 17 that hated it. The second was a Ruger Mini 14 that loved it. I would buy a few boxes and see how it feeds in your weapon, if I were you. If it passes your test, stock up on it. The Brown Bear is certainly less expensive than many other brands.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
The problem with the AR has nothing to do with the case coating. It is the effect of shooting steel case ammo in a gun designed for brass only.

Go to the mythbusters of the gun world and see an AR rendered useless from switching between steel and brass and learn why.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

We had a good chuckle at the range with a guy who spent 1500 on his rifle and then shot pakastani ammo that flew all directions so he could save 3 cents a round.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks brew. It seems like they say its ok to shoot for fun but not battle use? I'll get it and stock up for practice and then for the SHTF ammo I'll get some good brass cased stuff.

It also seems that as long as you keep your gun clean you'll be ok. My rifle will be spotless.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Chrome lined chamber and barrel = no issues
Chrome moly or stainless could be the culprit here, personally I only buy chrome lined barrels for my ar's (you can also use carb cleaner to clean them w/o worry)

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I think the overall message is to clean very well each time you shoot wolf or any of the steel case imports. That way regardless of whatever you shoot next there won't be an issue and never ever switch from steel to brass in a real life throw down. Brass to steel is ok.

That is unless you want to drill a long hole for a cleaning rod.......

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so what about plinking with brown bear and than loading my mag of TAPs afterwords? as long as I clean is there going to be an issue?

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
If you read through that article real close he used carb cleaner, but brake cleaner tend to be more thorough, as long as you get oil right back on. It purges oil from the pores and thats when you have rust troubles under the chrome lining. Spin that chrome lining out of the bore like I did and you will be checking your underwear. Not cool.

Wolf caused the AR bore failure every singe time the test was repeated.

Read both pages of this one.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu19.htm

My wife stakes her life on her m1 and trusts me to guide her. We will never have wolf in our home unless its for the AK. Thats what it was designed for.

All she gets is Lake City brass in bulk and a handful of winchester brass softpoints.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts