Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
Baja,

Sorry-got in a hurry and thought you were talking about the lanterns-my bad.:xeye:

All the best on finding info. on the stoves!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Elmo

I was wondering how loud the lanterns were.

But my primary interest is in the stoves.

When it comes to normal outdoor adventures I don't think you can
beat the LP stoves, but when it comes to SHTF LP could be hard to find.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I sent two or three emails to them a few months back trying to get information on their methanol lantern, but I never got a response. I'd be interested to see if you get a response from them.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
I don't care for stoves that have the fuel container under the flame. If there is a leak then you have a serious problem. That said, my PetroMax lantern and most other lanterns do have the fuel container underneath the mantle - but the flame is not the same as that of a stove.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent two or three emails to them a few months back trying to get information on their methanol lantern, but I never got a response. I'd be interested to see if you get a response from them.
I sent them an e-mail question last nite, and got a response today.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Heretic

I don't care for stoves that have the fuel container under the flame. If there is a leak then you have a serious problem. That said, my PetroMax lantern and most other lanterns do have the fuel container underneath the mantle - but the flame is not the same as that of a stove.
I hadn't considered that.
This particular stove looks very sturdy.
It weighs 4lbs.
But of course that does not mean it couldn't leak.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No experience with those stoves, but other multi-fuel stoves, Whisperlite Intl, Optimus Nova, I do have experience with. The Whisperlight International and the Optimus Nova that I have actually appear, at least at a glance, to be more packable then this stove. You might look into them. I can tell you the Nova sounds like a jet engine, but the thing can cook very well. I love it. On this stove, I would worry about wrapping a wind break around is since the fuel is right under the stove. You have to be careful about things like that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No experience with those stoves, but other multi-fuel stoves, Whisperlite Intl, Optimus Nova, I do have experience with. The Whisperlight International and the Optimus Nova that I have actually appear, at least at a glance, to be more packable then this stove. You might look into them. I can tell you the Nova sounds like a jet engine, but the thing can cook very well. I love it. On this stove, I would worry about wrapping a wind break around is since the fuel is right under the stove. You have to be careful about things like that.
I looked, on line, at those also.

They are much more packable, but for my current project the priorities are ruggedness and ability to burn more than gas and diesel.

The Brite Lyt people claim that their stove can burn any flammable liquid. Everything from bio diesel to mineral spirits. They go on to claim that you can mix fuels. I asked which fuel was best and they replied that oily fuels would burn longer.

I have SHTF stoves pretty well covered.
Now I am looking for a EOWAWKI stove.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts