Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Thread Killer
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are at the point of getting ready to concept our first, probably by December. ;)

I've seen at least a few on here who are expecting either with their first or an addition. I'm kind of torn about it though. I've always wanted kids. For the last several years (before I even met my wife), I've been on the fence about it, mainly because "Do I really want to bring another human into this f****d society?". I still feel that way, especially with every day being seemingly closer to the end.

My own answer to that has always been that I should have kids to help add to the 'smart' populace...lol.

Now to add onto that feeling, I'm worried about taking care of a new born, infant, or anyone under the age of ten when TSHTF. I feel that it is likely to happen way before that ten year mark, and I will have the added stress/whatever worrying about my child/ren (selfish reasoning I know). It's going to be bad enough as it is without having to watch out for kids too.

I have already planned to BI unless it is absolute last resort, so it wouldn't really effect any plans there, other than needing to stock more items.

As of now I don't feel prepared at all. I have some forms of defense, and enough food for maybe a week. Other than some canned goods and camping gear, I really don't have anything preps wise. We have WAY too much debt with no end in sight as it is. We both make good money, way more than our parents did at this point in life (27 BTW). In a sense, I feel like having a baby would just be another burden with everything else going on. Between cars, house, credit cards, bills, very little preps, etc, we are living paycheck to paycheck. On the other hand, I think it would be great. I guess I'm just more concerned with money and current issues right now, maybe I shouldn't be. :xeye:

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
I had said for my whole life that I was never going to bring kids into this world. Well, now I have two and they are worth any sacrifices I had to make. Yes, they add to stress immensely because you would do anything in your power to protect them including giving your own life if need be.

Take it one step at a time and you will get your preps in order. Stock up on more food. One day at a time.

Not only do kids add to stress... they also reduce it. You'll see.

·
Registered
497 Posts
To me kids are the point ultimately for prepping. I prep because they need to eat they need security. The day my first one was born my entire world view changed in a moment. Yours will to. Children bring stress, joy and a reason for being. They become your focus nothing but them and your wife/girlfriend matter after that. Don't worry it'll happen just look her/him in eyes in the first moments of life nothing matters any more and you'll go through hell and back for them with a smile on your face. ;)

Before I had kids I didn't worry about the future I didn't figure I'd live long enough for it to matter. Then I met my wife and she set me straight after we had a kids I found purpose.

Wait and see all your worries now will feel like nothing till it's 11:18 and you told your daughter to be home by 11 PM and she's out with a new boyfriend (stuck in traffic At least that's what they told me) Man that had me ready to beat the boy senseless when they got here.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I know the population of the world is at its max but, how do we hope to change the
future if we don't contribute to it...to me that's having and raising children who are
hopefully a little wiser, a little more caring, a little more prepared for things to come.

Have a kid...have a legacy
The one you decide not to have, could be the one that was destined to save the
whole planet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My daughter gives me dedication and a sense of urgency. She's my angel ensuring I'm doing everything I can to safeguard my family's future.

Still, there is a bit of uncertainty and fear that comes with such a blessing.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
Yeah, I felt this way before I now have 3. They have become what I get up in the mournings for. Has stated above they add and reduce stress. And you have to make sure you prep for them. Which is hard seeing how they grow so fast and eat so much and differant. If yours dont have eating probs. like mine (sever gas) then you can use the sams club brand it comes bigger and cheaper and is the same a enfimile. Hope that helps to. Remember you will have to add things to your preps now for the 9mo. ahead. They help with coping and that is a big way of the reduction in the stress.

You will miss money (extra) and sleep (lol) But what you gain Is the best thing in the world.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
i felt the same way too...then u see there little face and your hooked LOL

my kid is my buddy and i feel the same way about bringin a kid into a messed up world...well..my counter to that is there is always one of us home at all times...we raise him to be the person he should be....and yes...he got his first gun at 1 week old lol......

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
You said you were 27 y.o., and unless there is (G-d forbid) a medical condition that may preclude you and your wife to conceive later in life, I would say wait a couple of years. Especially with what's going on with economy at the moment. Pay down some debt and build up savings and preps first. You are living paycheck to paycheck now, and once the kid is born your savings rate will most likely be negative. You will have a much less stressful life if your debt is reduced or eliminated and there is money in the bank.

·
Thread Killer
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have to ask yourself what the point of life is? Is it catering to the dark, or the light? Live for the light.
That's pretty much how I feel about it too, as many of you do. I just see this country going downhill more and more everyday. I'm not talking about all the Gov crap going on, but the general populace. I can't believe this is what we've come to. I figure I might as well help by not producing a bloodsucking offspring who has no morals or ethics like so many do today.

You said you were 27 y.o., and unless there is (G-d forbid) a medical condition that may preclude you and your wife to conceive later in life, I would say wait a couple of years. Especially with what's going on with economy at the moment. Pay down some debt and build up savings and preps first. You are living paycheck to paycheck now, and once the kid is born your savings rate will most likely be negative. You will have a much less stressful life if your debt is reduced or eliminated and there is money in the bank.
That is exactly the reason I want to wait, the wife on the other hand thinks she is getting too old. :rolleyes: I'm definitely waiting until after the elections to see what happens. We're usually not paycheck to paycheck. It's just in the past six months or so. We moved to a new city, I had a month of no employment, bought a house, moved again and had to tag two cars (ain't cheap in CO). By next month we should be back to normal. It just feels so overwhelming some days.

Hopefully no medical problems. I've been watching my best friend since high school and his wife try for the last couple years. They've done all the medical help and paid a lot of money out for it. They're about to do some other procedure which is going to run them about $10k out of pocket (better spent on preps since they don't have any IMHO. Been trying to get him on the wagon), and that's not guaranteed. Honestly if it came down to that with me, I wouldn't have kids. Don't get me wrong, I want kids, but I feel if it happens, it happens, if it don't, it don't. I'm not going to play with nature and end up with sextuplets.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
The other problem of waiting is after the age of 33. You run graeter risks of Downs,autisum,berth defects and complications.

Thats somthing to take into consideration on your planning. It is a streesful time with the way people of the country are. THEY ALL pretty much SUCK!!!

You however dont want to punish your wife or yourself by missing a wonderful thing. Have you considered adoption. Sorry if a sore point. But you get a child a littel older that way their is not as great problem with preps. You and HER will miss out on the wonderfulness of the birth. But is an option to.

Dont know though.

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
There actually are quite a few complications you can run into if you attempt to conceive after your wife is over age 35. http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregnancy-after-35 So, if you decide to wait, you might not want to wait too long.

Personally, I'm glad I had mine BEFORE tshtf. This gives me time to stock up for the little one. If you have a baby after tshtf, then you have to worry (more) about adequate care for mom and baby and the delivery, plus being able to find baby supplies in that kinda world.

Of course kids are both a burden and a blessing. Any parent will tell you that. But, I'm going to tell you something else... you're going to worry about your kid ALL the time. Even if the world declared peace, scientists found a magic solution to all natural disasters, aliens turned out to be peaceful and dumb who wanted to learn from us, and they added an anti-zombie vaccine to the regimen for infants etc. etc. etc. You're STILL going to worry about your kid ALL the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts