Survivalist Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1391 Posts

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,215 Posts
Good news! The old man works at the Capitol. One of the weather/news guys came thru his door this morning and said there was NO WAY we were gonna have bad weather today. It's too cool for the storms they thought were gonna happen to fire up. I kinda figured but didn't know for sure because we can have 50-60 F swings on a dime. Glad it's not happening today. Too many people are still picking up the pieces of the last bad weather. Went out yesterday and an apartment complex down the street has several tarps on the roofs of it's buildings. And we didn't get anything like what you did.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,324 ·
Good news! The old man works at the Capitol. One of the weather/news guys came thru his door this morning and said there was NO WAY we were gonna have bad weather today. It's too cool for the storms they thought were gonna happen to fire up.
The National Weather Service has dialed things back for our area, but it looks like they're not entirely discounting the possibility of storms.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,328 ·
Good news! The old man works at the Capitol. One of the weather/news guys came thru his door this morning and said there was NO WAY we were gonna have bad weather today.
Well, there's definitely been weather this evening, but so far it has stayed south and east of here.

BB, were you around here 22 years ago? May 3rd, 1999? I am kind of surprised that I haven't seen any references today, the news almost always marks the anniversary.

As for me, I was sitting in a house less than a mile from here, watching the weather radar on my computer. Almost exactly how I am doing this evening.

·
8,215 Posts
Well, there's definitely been weather this evening, but so far it has stayed south and east of here.

BB, were you around here 22 years ago? May 3rd, 1999? I am kind of surprised that I haven't seen any references today, the news almost always marks the anniversary.

As for me, I was sitting in a house less than a mile from here, watching the weather radar on my computer. Almost exactly how I am doing this evening.
I was ... I remember my brother RUNNING out of the house yelling he had to go back to work because of the tornado. We all lived way north -- Quail Springs -- and all we got was a little rain and cloudy skies.

And you are so right -- the weather all around (except for where the tornado hit) was very much like it's been most of the day today.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,330 ·
I was ... I remember my brother RUNNING out of the house yelling he had to go back to work because of the tornado. We all lived way north -- Quail Springs -- and all we got was a little rain and cloudy skies.
All the way up I-44, it was headed right for us... then, as is so often the case, when it reached the river its path turned a little NE and it went through Moore instead.

I ended up spending something like 12 days with my National Guard unit in the westside of Moore in the weeks that followed.

·
8,215 Posts
All the way up I-44, it was headed right for us... then, as is so often the case, when it reached the river its path turned a little NE and it went through Moore instead.

I ended up spending something like 12 days with my National Guard unit in the westside of Moore in the weeks that followed.
Yep. This house I own is in a sweet spot -- Lake Overholser kicks anything headed towards us "just enough" to the north or south that every storm I've been worried about over the last 20 years or so has missed us. A couple of times it was REALLY close -- like when my next door neighbor to the north lost his roof and we came out completely unscathed. That was one of our scarier evenings around here. 😬😬😬

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,332 ·
Yep. This house I own is in a sweet spot -- Lake Overholser kicks anything headed towards us "just enough" to the north or south that every storm I've been worried about over the last 20 years or so has missed us.
This neighborhood is very similar... in fact, last week's hail storm is easily the worst weather I've seen in all my time of living in this area.

However, a few years ago I was standing out in the backyard and watching an approaching storm, when I suddenly noticed a swirling vortex of storm clouds pass directly overhead. After that, I decided it was time to get a tornado shelter.

·
8,215 Posts
Well, the dog woke me up. He's terrified of thunder. Sigh ... Looks like the SE part of the state is getting it again. I don't think it rained here, but there is another line of storms headed this way. Weather guys say it's weakening, so that is good. A little rain is one thing, one of those damned tornados is quite another.

·
8,215 Posts
I planted some blue lake green beans this morning. Hopefully I'll have green beans out my ears in a couple of months. This weather is KILLING me. I have had this headache FOREVER it seems. Being up half the night with a scared dog doesn't help. Bless his heart, every time I doze off he thinks he has to wake me up. I get the very distinct impression he thinks he's keeping everybody safe but it is tiresome and hard not to lose my temper sometimes. Thank God for benedryl and ham slices. 😁

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,336 ·
Well, the dog woke me up. He's terrified of thunder. Sigh ... Looks like the SE part of the state is getting it again. I don't think it rained here, but there is another line of storms headed this way. Weather guys say it's weakening, so that is good. A little rain is one thing, one of those damned tornados is quite another.
We got some pretty loud thunder down here late last night, in addition to rain. My weather station recorded exactly .50" rainfall. I need to take that thing down off the pole and inspect it for any further damage, beyond the anemometer. The insurance adjuster is supposed to be here tomorrow morning, to look over my property.

·
8,215 Posts
I'll start planting warm-weather stuff in a couple of weeks, when the moon signs are right and (hopefully) the worst of the spring storms are over.
I'm always pushing the edge of the envelope. Lol

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,339 ·
Check out this onion in my garden. I actually planted it as a set a year ago in the early spring, but then never picked it. It died back during the heat of the summer, but then re-sprouted last Fall. So, I just let it go and this is what it looks like now. There are actually several more besides just this one. I need to go ahead and pull them, the hail storm really did a lot of damage to their foliage.

1321 - 1340 of 1391 Posts