Survivalist Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1391 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,281 ·
Ok ... Well Spring is officially here.
Last night was fairly calm, except for rain... then at about a quarter after midnight I got notification that Cleveland county was under a Tornado Warning. I looked at the weather radar and it was southeast of here, heading out towards Lake Thunderbird. Nowhere close by, so I just went to bed.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,282 ·
Between last night and this morning, my weather station has recorded almost .75" of rain... not too bad, luckily. However, the NWS assures us that more is on the way later today and tonight:

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,285 ·
So far, everything has split and gone north and south of us, except for the rain we got last night and this morning. Fine with me. My yards are SOAKED.
We've had rain all day, my weather station currently shows 2.28" for today and counting. Fortunately, it's been spread out enough that it hasn't overwhelmed the draininge system around here. And now there's a small but strong storm headed right this way, I saw it on the radar.

On the other hand, here's a pic of a rainbow I took from the front porch earlier this evening:

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,215 Posts
We've had a couple of good downpours. One this morning and one just ended about 10 minutes ago. Seems like most of it is splitting and going to the north and south of us. I know we could use some more rain but my backyard is drowning.

Oops ... Sorry ... I'm repeating myself. 🤷😂😂😂

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,288 ·
It's a disaster here... I have shattered windows, everyone around here does. Baseball-sized hail, biggest I've ever seen in person, in all my years of living here. The roof is probably totaled too.

TV news is saying multi-million dollars in damage around town; it'll probably end up being declared a FEMA disaster.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,290 ·
My front yard, not long after the hail storm, you can also see the flooding in the street. The water was still rising at this time, it eventually got up to the base of the crepe myrtle on the right side of the pic before receding again.

Melting hailstones and broken glass from the living room picture window. You can see a big piece of broken window glass in the upper right, the cat tower was covered in glass shards. My computer corner is just to the left of this pic. The wind was blowing so hard through the broken window, I had muddy rainwater splashed on my computer monitor screen by the time it was over.

Hailstones piled up by the back patio sliding glass door. The sliding screen door is trashed, but thankfully the glass door itself didn't break. Unfortunately, my back patio planters, solar lights, everything are destroyed. My weather station is still reporting data but I know the anemometer is broken for certain. I won't know until tomorrow if the casing itself is broken.

For the record, my weather station recorded a total of 3.27" of rain for the day and evening. The last inch or so came with the hail storm.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,412 Posts
Oh Brett, I'm so sorry you got hit so hard. It's stunning. You're the first person I've ever known who actually went through one of these baseball hail events. The photos are amazing. Thank goodness for house insurance. I hope your computer is OK. If not, it's a good time for an upgrade. The only saving grace is that you didn't have the full garden up and running.

The insurance folks in your area are going to be busy and I wouldn't doubt they have to bring in agents from other places to help.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Whoa dude! That's incredible. As Weed says, thank goodness for home insurance! Covering up those open holes until the windows are replaced will be a challenge, I think. I cringe to think of the damage to those hardwood floors as well. I'm glad you're OK though. Yikes! How fragile life and stuff is.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,295 ·
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone, I do appreciate it.

Needless to say, today was pretty much taken up with clean-up outside. The roofing company I contacted last night was here by early afternoon, to assess the damage and help begin the insurance claim process. I'll post some pics later. I also need to file auto insurance claims, but that's a separate deal.

The National Weather Service published this graphic today; we were right smack in the center of the yellow band...

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,296 ·
You're the first person I've ever known who actually went through one of these baseball hail events. The photos are amazing. Thank goodness for house insurance. I hope your computer is OK. If not, it's a good time for an upgrade. The only saving grace is that you didn't have the full garden up and running.

The insurance folks in your area are going to be busy and I wouldn't doubt they have to bring in agents from other places to help.
With only a couple of exceptions over the years, I've lived in this same area for almost 30 years and I've never personally experienced hail like that before. I mean, it happens every year, but it's the first time that I've personally experienced it.

The computer is fine, the monitor just got splashed with blowing rainwater and mud. And yeah, that's why I decided this year to really delay putting garden plants in-ground. I just had a feeling...

I have USAA for all my insurance, and the roofing company guy told me today that they're very easy to work with. He was confident that they'll cover everything, it will just be a matter of working out the details with the adjustor they send. But he said they'll be here for that process, and will handle it for me.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,297 ·
Look at this video I found!
That's pretty amazing, it's like a wind tunnel effect coming through that breeze way. But yeah, it gives you an idea of the blowing rain and hail that was coming inside the house, once the windows began shattering.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,298 · (Edited)
Some selected hail storm damage pics. I realize that many people got a lot worse damage... But everything seems like a big deal when it happens to you personally.

By some miracle, that glass globe solar light escaped being hit. Others I have were completely destroyed.

That's not mud splashed on my fence, it's impact damage from the hail.

The roofing company took this pic, the black spots are hail impact damage. It's all over the roof, not just here.

The roofing company tacked down tar paper over the worst damage, until the new roof can be installed.

They were also kind enough to board up the broken windows.

1281 - 1300 of 1391 Posts