Survivalist Forum banner

1161 - 1175 of 1175 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,161
It was cool out today, so I decided to re-stack my firewood rack. The guy who delivered it last Fall just kind of threw it on there, and the rack has been torqued and twisted at the joints ever since. I don't blame him, it was dark by the time he got to me, but it still bothered me. Fireplace season is over until next Fall, so I decided to use today's cool weather to re-do it. I also dug out and reset the pavers that the rack sits on, they had pretty much sunk into the ground over the years as well.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,332 Posts
Wow, our 10 day forecast says we're going to be in the 80's all next week, a bit higher than normal. Mid 80's tapering down to high 70's near the end of that stretch.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,163
The cooler weather is welcome, but what we really need around here is some rain. I think I'm going to put the sprinklers out today, the ground is very dry.

I had to go to Walmart this morning, and once again they have a small display from American Seed Company. As I've previously written, that company holds some nostalgia for me.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,164
I did get out the hose and sprinkler today, first time since probably last September. I covered the entire backyard and vegetable garden beds. Not much going on there yet, but I'll have some pics soon.

There is supposedly a chance of rain tomorrow afternoon / evening, I am hoping that my watering the backyard today will cause it to rain tomorrow. That's how it usually works...

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,165
The National Weather Service is still predicting storms for later today. The rain would be welcome, but not really the other stuff.

This is why I don't get in a big hurry to plant outdoors as early in the spring as possible. One bad storm is likely to just wipe it all out...

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,166
The Creeping Jenny (or Moneywort) that was in the hanging container on my front porch was another casualty of last winter's record cold. I usually have to replace that plant every couple of years, so I wasn't too surprised. Anyway, I bought a couple of new plants, put fresh potting soil in the container, and got that put back together today.

I planted the seedlings on the side of the container that faces outwards from the corner that it hangs in, for visual purposes. But the trailers that spread out over the bare soil should root there later and make the container look more full. I watered the plants in, let the container drain off the excess water, and got it hung back up on the front porch.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Same thing up here: planting stuff too early will bite you every time! Far better to wait a few more weeks than lose all of my hard earned seedlings to a cold snap. Even a sturdy greenhouse or cold frame won’t stop a blizzard 🥶

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,169
I have some tomato plants I want to put in the ground but I'll wait until this **** passes. Be my luck we'd have hail the size of baseballs if I put them in the ground now. 🤦
Yeah, I've had to be creative in the past, building shelters against hail for my garden plants. I'll just wait until the spring storm season has (hopefully) mostly passed.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,170
That unusual-looking, light-colored squirrel was back today, hanging out on the same branch that Squirrel Buddy used to use all the time.

It finally climbed down out of the tree and started digging around in the backyard.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,171
Be my luck we'd have hail the size of baseballs if I put them in the ground now. 🤦
I don't know if you got any weather up there, but it completely missed us... not even a drop of rain here, just a lot of wind.

Guess I'll be getting the sprinklers back out again tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,741 Posts
I don't know if you got any weather up there, but it completely missed us... not even a drop of rain here, just a lot of wind.

Guess I'll be getting the sprinklers back out again tomorrow.
Yep. Same with us. Not a drop -- except for the temps. 🤷 Same here -- I'll put the tomato plants in the ground in the morning and then water REAL good and mulch with hay and poo from under the rabbits' pens.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,332 Posts
Brett, it's funny how your squirrels just drape themselves over a tree limb. I don't think I've ever seen any of the gray squirrels here do that. They're always on the move lickity split!

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,174
Yep. Same with us. Not a drop -- except for the temps. 🤷 Same here -- I'll put the tomato plants in the ground in the morning and then water REAL good and mulch with hay and poo from under the rabbits' pens.
Yeah, at least it's nice and cool today. I've got a few outdoor things to do as well, but I'm going to wait to put anything in the ground until next week, when the moon signs will be favorable.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,175
Brett, it's funny how your squirrels just drape themselves over a tree limb. I don't think I've ever seen any of the gray squirrels here do that.
It's just that one branch on my backyard maple, I guess there's just something special about it that invites squirrels to stretch out and relax.

1161 - 1175 of 1175 Posts