Survivalist Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1175 Posts

·
gardener & news junkie
3,332 Posts
Look what the bunny brought in! And a happy Easter it is with the return of of a missing member. :)
We're glad to see you back and look forward to hearing about what's been happening in your corner of our Garden!

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,741 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I really do appreciate them.
Oh HEY!! Ima mod now! I have NO CLUE what they were thinking when they thought that was okay! 😂😂😂

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,147
There have been only 2 different squirrels that have been coming around in recent weeks. One is just a regular-looking squirrel, I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of Squirrel Buddy's progeny. However, the other has a very unusual coloration. I've never seen anything like it before, it has a very light-colored coat. I've had trouble getting a clear pic because, like most squirrels, it's very skittish.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149
Without trying to sound stalker-ish, I'm so glad you are back. I've missed your posts.
Thanks, I'm glad to be back.

It was good to take a break from social media for a while. But on the other hand, I don't get out much these days, and places like SB give me an opportunity to interact with other people. Which is why I joined in the first place, back when I was only a few weeks away from retirement from the Army.

Catching up on everyone's gardening threads, I'm somewhat embarrassed over how little I've done in comparison. However, it's still a bit early for the hot weather stuff like corn and squash. And I've decided to delay putting out things like tomatoes and peppers, so as to avoid having worry about them during the spring storm season.

·
7,741 Posts
Thanks, I'm glad to be back.

It was good to take a break from social media for a while. But on the other hand, I don't get out much these days, and places like SB give me an opportunity to interact with other people. Which is why I joined in the first place, back when I was only a few weeks away from retirement from the Army.

Catching up on everyone's gardening threads, I'm somewhat embarrassed over how little I've done in comparison. However, it's still a bit early for the hot weather stuff like corn and squash. And I've decided to delay putting out things like tomatoes and peppers, so as to avoid having worry about them during the spring storm season.
Same. I have a half dozen tomato plants commuting from the yard during the day, to the garage at night. I so do not want to have to replace them ...

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,151
That same light-colored squirrel was hanging out on my back fence just now. I still can't get close enough to get a really good pic.

Also, I had assumed that by now my "murder" of crows had retreated to their rural summer haunts to begin nesting. However, a few of them were back early this morning, hanging around my bird feeders. I had stopped setting out a separate tray of food for them in the backyard, but maybe I should continue for a little while longer.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Same. I have a half dozen tomato plants commuting from the yard during the day, to the garage at night. I so do not want to have to replace them ...
That's not even an option up here! My tomatoes and everything else are safely in my vegetable rack, not anywhere near ready for outside. I can lay hose, fertilize, and shovel as well as rake but planting stuff out is strictly a fool's errand. Just because it's in the 70s today doesn't mean we won't have a blizzard next week! This has happened before, and can happen again.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,153
This pic is almost a month old, but it shows how badly the record-setting cold and snow we had in February affected my Daffodils. Normally, they would have been covered in blooms by this time. But, as you can see, the cold affected them much more than I originally thought.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,154
We have a run-off election today for a city council seat, and these daffodils were in front of the place where I go to vote. As you can see, they look fine. True, the blooms have mostly faded by now, but the plants themselves look fine. And I am confident that they didn't do anything special to protect them from the record-setting cold last February.

In retrospect, I probably should have just left my daffodils alone too, and let nature take its course.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,155
Bought some potting soil with a Home Depot gift card I received last Christmas. I didn't like the stuff I used last year, every container where I used it looked rather anemic. So I'm going to dump the containers that have that stuff in it and start with fresh potting soil this spring.

·
7,741 Posts
Haha! I have one spot in the back that has a few bulbs that sprout green but rarely out flowers on. I went out back to let the birds out today and there was one tiny, sad, faded daffodil. It looks like it is trying SO hard. Lol

Is there anything I can do to help it so it looks better -- and maybe has some buddies -- next spring??

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,157
Is there anything I can do to help it so it looks better -- and maybe has some buddies -- next spring??
What is the location like, where they're planted?

Daffodils like full-to-part sun. My own daffodils get full morning sun, but then are in shade by the early afternoon. Daffodils also like well-drained soil, standing moisture can cause the bulbs to rot.
So, the location where yours are planted could be the cause that is preventing them from thriving.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
That's the same potting soil I use! Hint: just because it says it's got plant food in it doesn't mean it's complete nutrition. You may want to add some micronutrient fertilizer; plant food is usually NPK and missing the other ten. And yes, containers go through nutrients super quick, possibly due to the small and enclosed environment of the container. If it's been a few years, changing out the soil can't hurt. Lastly, if you're not in a hurry you can get a good deal on stuff at the end of the season. I got mine from HD last year, half price.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,159
The potting soil was newly-bought last year, but something just seemed off about it. There are probably pics in this thread from this time last year, when I got it. Anyway, I'm just going to dump it in my in-ground garden beds and mix it in. Then re-fill the containers with this new stuff.

As for fertilizer, I still feed my container plants, even if it's fresh soil. The last couple of years I've been using Neptune's Harvest, and I've also been using Sea Magic for a few years beyond that. The later is supposed to be especially good at providing micro-nutrients. Again, I'm sure there are pics in this thread from last summer. At any rate, I've been very pleased with the results of both.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,160
One of the local TV meteorologists put out this graphic earlier today. I hope it's true, because it's time to really get to work outdoors. Cooler temps also mean less chance of severe weather, including tornadoes.

1141 - 1160 of 1175 Posts