Survivalist Forum banner

1121 - 1133 of 1133 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,122
Now that the snow is melting off of them, my Pansies and Ornamental Kale are looking pretty pathetic right now. Hopefully, the sun's return and the warmer temps will perk them back up, but I don't know...

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
It's right at 2 months since the winter solstice, and I noticed today that my southern-most garden bed is now mostly in sunlight again. As I've mentioned before, during the deepest part of winter that bed is in perpetual shadow from the fence, because the sun is so low in the sky. Today was the first time I've ventured out to this part of the yard since the snowstorm hit last weekend.

The backyard was absolutely saturated today, from all the melting snow

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,127
Your daffs will do just fine. It's really hard to hurt t them. Such persistent plants!
I don't think they're going to die, but I also don't think they'll flourish as well as they typically do each spring.

At least they don't look as bad as they did when we got a late-winter ice storm and I didn't do anything to protect them from it. That was in March, 2014.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,128
The snow is almost all melted and the temp today was up into the 60s. It's almost as if last week never even happened...

The Daffodils looked a little better today, but I still think it's going to be an "off" year for them...

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,131
The Crocus plants seem to enjoy being back outside again. Only one, in the upper left corner, hasn't bloomed yet:

Last Fall, I saved back a couple of the biggest Zucchino Rampicante squash because I wanted to see how long they would store. They were doing well up until now, but the extreme cold last week finally made them turn soft. So, I split them open to get seeds for saving.

I finally got one of these in the mail the other day. Again, I don't really need anything else, but seed catalogues are always fun to browse through:

Another moon pic, just because...

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,168 Posts
How's the garden doing? I see we are finally gonna get an extended taste of spring! Thank goodness! Hope you are doing okay!

·
gardener & news junkie
3,288 Posts
Brett, you and I think along the same lines. Last Sunday I took the large Rampicante I had saved and cut it open to save the seeds so now I have a lifetime supply, as do you. ROFL!

That long squash neck was chunked up, baked and it was pretty good. The "bowl" portion was too thin and stringy to do anything but toss it out. So I'm learning more about this squash... neck for eating, bowl for seed saving. Now I'll have to do a germination test on that saved seed. Just because. :rolleyes:

1121 - 1133 of 1133 Posts