Survivalist Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1131 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,101
Very light snow still falling this morning, it's currently 16F.

Here's a current view of my garden area:

Here is the undisturbed snow depth, as measured on my birdbath. I took the pic while I was out there, refilling the bird feeders:

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,104 Posts
Still snowing here in Bethany, too. I am SO glad there is no wind. When the wind blows we get lake effect snow off of Overholser and the snow drifts in the backyard are CRAZY. I was afraid I was gonna have trouble getting across the yard to take care of the ducks and other critters. All my critter food is in the shed.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
It was 0 when I took my second cat to the vet this morning. Felt balmy! We’re supposed to get hear 40 this week, which will feel like spring. 40 is a magical temperature: cold in October, blessedly warm in March. Wisconsin is like this.

I've been reading about those rolling blackouts! Not only does working from home become a challenge, but my grow lights need power. I have a backup plan for my computer but not those. This is why I don’t have 600 exotic plants in the house. Which some people do.

you all stay safe down there! Yikes.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,106
We’re supposed to get hear 40 this week, which will feel like spring. 40 is a magical temperature: cold in October, blessedly warm in March. Wisconsin is like this.
It's currently 13F, according to my weather station, but thankfully there is no wind. We're supposed to finally get above freezing this weekend, but according to the radio it will still be 20-30 degrees below normal. But by the middle of next week, we're supposed to be in the upper 50s. However, I predict it will take a while for all this snow to completely melt away.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,107
Now that the weather has finally cleared off, Not Squirrel Buddy has returned to my backyard. I assume that he/she has spent the last several days holed up in its nest. Squirrels do not hibernate in the true sense of the word, but when the weather is bad they will spent that time sleeping in their nests.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
It's currently 13F, according to my weather station, but thankfully there is no wind. We're supposed to finally get above freezing this weekend, but according to the radio it will still be 20-30 degrees below normal. But by the middle of next week, we're supposed to be in the upper 50s. However, I predict it will take a while for all this snow to completely melt away.
It's not just the melting, but also the soil temperatures warming enough to plant anything. As you likely know the soil should be at least 50. Melting snow makes soil colder, not warmer.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,109
Well, I won't be planting anything outdoors anytime soon, so that shouldn't be an issue.

My main concern at this point is if those potatoes I planted last Fall have survived this record-setting cold and snowfall.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,284 Posts
This surely will be the acid test for those Great Potato Experiments!

We were talking this morning about this year's potato planting and confirmed again that all of this standing water and February flooding is why we never plant potatoes until about mid March. Still pondering a fall planted bucket for this fall.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,114

Still pondering a fall planted bucket for this fall.
If this in-ground thing doesn't work, then I will probably switch to some kind of container solution for spring potatoes. As I learned last year, I can't plant them in-ground in the spring, and then leave them there long enough to fully mature. I end up needing that space for summer-planted stuff.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

We were talking this morning about this year's potato planting and confirmed again that all of this standing water and February flooding is why we never plant potatoes until about mid March. Still pondering a fall planted bucket for this fall.
The earliest I can plant potatoes, in ground or containers, is usually mid-April. Right around Good Friday. That's when the soil temps, even fresh soil in containers, is warm enough. Obviously once the bags are filled they stay outdoors, and will acclimate to the temperature. Especially if it snows.

I am most definitely planning my usual potato bags in addition to these containers. And if I don't see good news relatively quickly, those containers might get dumped in favor of squash or something like it anyway.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,119
We’re above zero too! Doesn’t it feel amazingly warm? 🤣
Several times when I went outside today I didn't even bother to put on a coat, because the temperature seemed so much warmer than the last several days. I wasn't out there for very long, though...

Here's the moon earlier this afternoon, rising above the winter-bare branches of the tree across the street. Maybe it's just me, but I think that even the moon looks "colder" in winter than it does during the summer. Maybe it's the lighting at this time of year.

1101 - 1120 of 1131 Posts