Survivalist Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1133 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,081
Heard y'all had a big pile up on I-44 north of town, including a few semi rigs.
Yeah, I saw footage, looked like a couple of the trucks were actually burning.

I guarantee you, if I weren't retired, I'd be working right now. Every time there's weather like this, the Oklahoma Guard deploys teams to help the Oklahoma Highway Patrol with stranded motorists rescue. And pretty much all full-timers are called in to help work it.

Here are a couple of pics I took earlier today, but they don't really do justice to the actual weather. It's brutal out there...

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,083
This morning, my backyard weather station is reporting -4F, with a wind chill of -13F.
This is quite possibly the coldest I've ever seen it get around here.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
-7 here with a wind chill factor of -24, and that's warmed up a bit since sunrise! I'm doing my duty to first responders and staying home, although I'm making the grocery delivery guy come over. Better 10 minutes outdoors with him than me trying to walk 16 blocks round trip to the local store! Which I'll do this weekend, when temps are in the 20's above. It'll feel like a heat wave! But today I need bread. And I don't have time to cook my own.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,086
Trying to post some pics, but they're taking too long to load and I keep getting an error message.

The internet is running really slow right now, probably because everyone is home and online. And the news is saying that there may have to be rolling blackouts, due to the huge increase in demand on the power grid right now. It's not just around here, but the entire southwestern region.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,088
Current temp, just at midnight, is -4F. At least there's no wind at the moment. We're still expected to get another 6"-8" of snow on Tuesday-Wednesday.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,090
My weather station is reporting -9F this morning. Actual temp, not wind chill. The wind isn't blowing right now, so no wind chill reading.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,093
Brett, you aware rolling blackouts have been instituted?? 2 hour blackouts. I figure, based on the fact folks are all around me are blacked out right now I'm probably next.
I am aware of it, but so far the power has not gone out here. I figure it's just a matter of time though.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,168 Posts
I am aware of it, but so far the power has not gone out here. I figure it's just a matter of time though.
Same here. Bethany was on the list released at 7:30 this morning. Everyone around me is out but I'm in a weird spot so I dunno. Our power outages and re-hook-ups never happen at the same time everyone around me has theirs.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,168 Posts
The power went out here around 8:45 AM, and came back on a little over an hour later. The internet took a bit longer to come back up, but for now everything is good.
Goodness. My power never went out. They've stopped the rolling blackouts for now.

1081 - 1100 of 1133 Posts