Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I received my rifle instructions, I was taught that i should hold my breathe at the point that i naturally pause after my out breathe. I have heard other people, however, say that they hold on the top of the in breathe........is one better than the other for a reason or is it all shooter pref. ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was taught in a precision shooting course that you should breathe in, out, and then half a breath in and hold. Only half a breath because holding too much air in while firing can actually make you less stable. This technique works well for me, but I have also heard to exhale half a breath and hold. So I would say whichever way works better for you. I am sure one of the military trained snipers on the forum would have some better info though.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
I don't believe that there is a 'right' way to do this. The concept is that you need to be aware of bio metrics while shooting.

I have shot all along the breathing curve. When I actually think about my breathing I do a full breath in, half breath out and hold it. This is how I was taught. This gives me 10-15 seconds of solid physical peace. After this my heart starts to beat a bit harder and I just start over.

In my opinion there is no right way to do this, just that you need to be aware of it and find a solution that works for you.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Try this...take your firearm and hold it as if you are going to take a shot...making sure the chamber is empty...take a breathe and see what happens naturally when you take a breathe...you will notice that you will have a tendency to raise the firearm up and when you breathe out the firearm will go back into position. If you notice this...you will know that you don't want to take the shot when you are taking a breathe in....you want to break the shot when you are exhaling.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never thought of half breathes.good call guys....

This gives me 10-15 seconds of solid physical peace. After this my heart starts to beat a bit harder and I just start over.

In my opinion there is no right way to do this, just that you need to be aware of it and find a solution that works for you.
that is one of the things that brought this to mind, holding at my natural out pause didnt give me much time until i started to feel depleted, in was better because i had more O2, but i felt less stable.i'll work it out with half breathes. Thanks guys......almost related but not, i saw some guys on TV do a test on a sniper to verify if they can really shoot between heart beats. they can.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
I have low BP and the heart rate normally is around 50-60, very low. I can feel my heart beating in my chest since it is transverse (twisted) a bit. As long as I am calm it is easy for me to pick moments for steady shots.

I can also hold my breath for 3 minutes without activity (maybe half that moving). This is something you can work on to increase your longevity with your breath held.

10-15 seconds on target is a pretty long time actually to hold a shot.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah 15 seconds should be plenty......I am very proficient with my handguns, and shotguns. but my rifle skills need work, so i am trying everything i can to catch up to the rest of the pack........my wife said if i dry fire my rifle in the house 1 more time she is going to shoot me with it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
With respect to NPOA, either breath in or out in a respiratory pause cycle seems to work. However, it is tough to regulate NPOA with a half breath because half a breath is extremely relative and tough to repeat making it difficult to get a rifleman's cadence.

Holding your breath for more than a couple seconds is also not advisable. Holding ones breath affects vision.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If I remeber right you should fire on the exhale. I personally breath in deep and slowly exhale and towards the end of the exhale I fire. I like this technique because it is a natural breathing pattern. I was taught if you hold your breath there is a chance of having muscle fatigue shakes.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Try all the variations.

After a while set-up and fire...see which method you choose automatically.

I shoot at the bottom of the breath myself.

It seems to be a short smooth sequence, so you sort of have to learn a groove and always repeat the same way.

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
I "create a calm" by taking one or two deep breathes, then exhaling about half way.. then firing when everything is settled and calm.. a couple of second usually. Just experiment with what is best for you, the idea is to have enough oxygen where you do have the urge to breathe for a few seconds to make the shot.

If I run or climb up to the point where I will be precision firing, I may take several deep breathes before i get the calm.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I always heard and went with the half-breath. And it doesn't have to be exactly half every time, just so your lungs have air but are not full. And the pause should not be more than a couple seconds, just long enough to make sure your heartbeat isn't pushing you off target.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
guess its time to hit the range...................Darn. :) thanks guys. it seems more natural to me to fire at the end of my exhale, so i think ill stick with that, I have just heard so many people saying different things and i am always looking to improve so my curiosity got the better of me.

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
. . . i saw some guys on TV do a test on a sniper to verify if they can really shoot between heart beats. they can.
Get out a few hundred yards. It is necessary. Your heartbeat can move the crosshairs completely off "the black".

I'm currently shooting 3.5 inch clay pigeons at 500 - working to 600 - yards. I find that if I don't fire between heartbeats I can miss entirely by at least a few inches.

. . 'course maybe I'm in possession of an abnormal heart. But I honestly don't think so . . :eek::

Oh, in the FWIW department: I am a breath out and pause guy.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
When I actually think about it I take the shot with breath out. When I dont think about it I time the shot between breaths, I am a self-taught shooter and never heard of holding my breath until the last few years so I learned at an early age to time the rifle movement with my breathing to take the shot. Not saying that makes me anymore accurate, just that theres no single right way.

Another thing to try if youre going to be holding your breath is training your body. Practice holding your breath and you can actually extend the length of time you can hold your breath without feeling the urge to breathe. When I first started trying to hold my breath I could only go about 10 seconds before fighting the urge. Now Im up to about 15 seconds and when I really practice and concentrate I can go about 20. Doesnt seem like much, but 5 or 10 seconds is an eternity when waiting for a shot.

Now, if I can only get my arm muscles to cooperate and quit that swaying I will be doing good.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
if possible, you fire on at the end of the exhale. that's what they teach at Appleseed, and it certainly makes sense to me, and it has (for me) proven results.

on the other hand, in the more "tactical" classes (carbine, pistol) there's way less concentration of breathing (or none at all).

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
holding after exhale is taught because of a naturally longer "pause" in the cycle before the inhale begins... i think it also helps to alleviate fluid pressure in your torso causing less stress and strain (and hence greater stability) on your soft tissue. its worked well for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts