Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think? Any one being or is going to be effected on this directly?

Me, I don't have too much in shares, on the stock market, but even having stock in one of the largest, strongest Co. in America, I have lost a few hundred bucks at this point.

At work, last year at this time, I would have a spot open for a new employee, I would have about 200 people apply, and perhaps 4 or 5 might be approved for an entry type of job. Now, I have twice that apply now days and it is very clearly observed that a large amount of people applying had jobs that paid well, but now out of business. Or they had the same job for 5-8 years and now, they are looking for a job that only pays 1/3 of what they had before.

Other things that I see, lots of homes are for sale out here in San Diego, several in the area that I live have been empty or up on the market for quite a while now.

Other things, my wife has had her hours "shaved down", and that is on one of the navy bases out here.

I wonder what else is going to effect me? How about everybody else here? How is this economic situation going to effect you? What can one do for preps?

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
A lot of people at work are now fussing about their 401k's and etc. I placed my money in some bond funds in my 401k about a month ago and didn't loose a dime today.

Not too many layoffs anymore.

I expect that it is going to get worse.

·
Home...where the horse is
186 Posts
I am worried mostly for folks who have their pensions or retirement earnings exposed right now. Not even sure if FDIC insured securities are safe at this point. Only thing I can think of is to convert all cash assets to gold/silver/platinum and put in the bank of Mason and Ball...in the back yard.

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What does this mean to every body?

I am trying to wrap myself around this, looking at what this is going to do to me personally.

My first thought is that I am going to have more problems at work where as people coming in my store, and forgetting to pay for the items. One of the other things is that just a few years ago, there was over 7 billion (that's with a "B") of return fraud throughout the retail industry in America in just 1 year. This is a hard number for me to really understand but, I see it every day. It is a shame that there is a large segment of America that is trying to get over everybody else, in every way possible.

Is this what happened with the stock market?

Other than me buying Gold, which I just don't have the money for, I am trying to think of what I can do about this for the safety of my family. I have the preps for natural disasters but what about this? Or, what about the political issues that might come out of this?

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Woff on CNN has said it about 15 times now in the last 25 mins that it add up to 1.2 Trillion dollars loss. 13 banks have gone away. Is this a slow motion car wreck I am seeing on the freeway in front of me?

Reactions: Dwind

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am not concerned. Once Pelosi stops lying and grandstanding there will be a solution. She, in my opinion, is treasonous.
Oh give me a break. She made a speech. Republicans get their feelings hurt and they decide to punish the whole country. Bunch of crybabies having a tantrum.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I raise money for start-up companies. Right now I am working on a 13 million dollar project in Nebraska. Business has been good. I dont worry about the things I cant control. I prep,prep,prep. Other than that I go to work

·
1,794 Posts
I tried to get some insight on the financial situation by watching the news. What was I thinking? The gaggle of politicians were all playing the blame game by pointing at each other. It was reported that some representatives were hiding to avoid being linked to their vote on the bailout. I don't care for any politician, be they Democrat or Republican. They all are only interested in their reelection chances and will sacrifice us all in their pursuit of power. We must use our time to prepare for the aftermath of their irresponsibility instead of fooling ourselves into thinking "our guy" will save us all if only he would be elected to office.

·
Home...where the horse is
186 Posts
Until Americans stand up to their elected representatives and demand they listen to US, not Wall Street, not Lobbyists, but their constituents, they will not change.

I think change is in the works. The reason the bailout didn't pass is because we, as a nation, stood up and cried "FOUL!!!!"

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I agree Tuffhorse...someone finally stood up and said: Hey-NO...this is NOT right!

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I keep looking at the market going up in the last day and wonder just how bad the global credit situation really is. Are we doing this for mortages or so Camboia can buy rice on credit? Something stinks here. When you can't go into the Gap and get an instant credit card is that an economic crisis?

If you think about it, this blog should have about 2,000 hits. Instead people are posting videos of cleaning combat boots in a post shtf scenario. Are survivalists not invested or don't care about economics? Most Americans have an IRA or 401 K (like over 50 %) to lose. We all have bank accouts at risk! They are rasing the level of FDIC guarantee to $250,000!

Most of our investments are now in balanced bond-stock-fixed investment funds like Vanguard :"life stratgey". Same for 529's whihc are mixed funds.

I dumped all bank stocks but am now looking at JP Morgan Chase (up 4 pts today). If you havent's been in the markert shame on you: you've missed out on annual income which could be close to your annual salary with only modest investment of your time and money and the biggest increase in wealth in history.

If you are in now in the market adjust your portfolio. If you are not adjusted for the worst, pray.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Tuffhorse:

Money markets are not guaranteed. Rates almost as low as reguarl savings accounts now without the FDIC guarantee!

Ladder CD's at 3-4 % interest 100% guaranteed. Get short term (6-15 months). Accumulate some savings and open a CD once or twice a year. Do not stop saving or investing becasue of this. Just keep more "cash" than usual. If this is the bottom of the market, those buying in yesterday will be the smart ones.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've got retirement money invested, and SHTF money within easy reach. The retirement funds, I am just leaving alone. I invest for retirement under the assumption that things will end up OK by that time. I figure I've got 25 years or so. The rest, I keep close at hand in case it all falls apart now. The ole "don't keep your eggs in one basket" philosophy.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
thats it- were buying Cheaper Than Dirt.com

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Oh give me a break. She made a speech. Republicans get their feelings hurt and they decide to punish the whole country. Bunch of crybabies having a tantrum.
mmmm.....nope, some of them actually read that pile of sh*t and rejected it.
Notice the 96 Dems who flushed as well....what offended them? Hmmmmm?
Others listened to their constituents for once and rejected it.
A few rejected it because they didn't get their piece of pork in it in time and THEY threw tantrums.
Pull yer head out man, Pelosi is a retard and she pushed this turd because she is balls deep invested in some of the companies she is trying t save.
McSame and Obama take big donations from them too, no relief or integrity there either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts