Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two ways to protect your doors.......

For the first one........six inches away from the side of the door that opens and eight iches away from the same side.......drill a hole in the ground.... about 1/2 OD and 4 inches down........get a 1/2 inch solid rod and placed in hole................you can now open your door six inches and they cannot forced their way in, if you don't have a metal door then screw a 6X6 metal plate to the area in the area where the door will hit the metal rod.
======================

For the second one......I had a couple of cops to try and knock the door down and all they got was a sore shoulder.....metal doorl

Ten inches from the door drill two side by side holes on the floor about four inches apart and eight inches away from the door edge that opens........place two solid metal 1/2 rods in the holes that sticks out about six inches......place a 5X6X1/2 inch metal plate against the rods and mark it.........weld plate to rods.

Find a 150 lbs spring and weld one end to center of plate on metal rods.......place metal rods in holes.....spring will be about two inches from the door.

Everytime someone slams the door open the spring will push them back and the harder that they push the more the spring will compress and the harder they will pushed back......again and again.

The only way to get in would be by knocking down the whole door frame with the door in it...........more than ample time to scape or grab a shoot gun :thumb:

Came up with this idea back in 1976 and I would install one for $10.00......the first one.......... two years later someone else had it on TV for $25.00 and you had to drill the hole.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Good fortification ideas. Sadly i live in an APT, so modifications like that aren't allowed. I will probably keep the supplies on hand to do it in case TSHTF, but the bigger problem is that right next to the door there is a 3'X5' window :(

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i've got steel plated doors with baracade bars. and the door frames have been reinforced. so i'm good short of adding spikes to the outside of the doors i think.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Good fortification ideas. Sadly i live in an APT, so modifications like that aren't allowed. I will probably keep the supplies on hand to do it in case TSHTF, but the bigger problem is that right next to the door there is a 3'X5' window :(
ditto. our apartments have metal doors...HOWEVER I have seen at least 3 here with door frames completely kicked in...usually by the drunk kids that lived there and locked themselves out (leave security deadbolt locked, then leave through garage...jumping over beam...but forgetting the remote). I'd like to cut a hatch in my floor dropping into my garage...either to trap the booglars when they come in or for a hasty escape into the BOMobile!:thumb:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Unfortunately the new building code in Dade County only allows exterior doors to open out and not into the house. This does make kicking a door in a bit harder. The rule change was due to hurricanes, so the wind can't blow the door in.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Humungos? all it takes is a small hole on the ground and if you have a rug it would then be almost impossible to see it.........

Remember that you would be able to open the door six inches in safety, to see who is there, to sign for a package and so on (if package to big you can sign for it and he can leave the package outside)..........safer than those silly chains that many people have.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
If your doors open out not in it is real hard to kick them in. All you need is a good door chain so when you open it they can't rip the door open. Put a machett next to the door and when the grab the door to rip it open cut their fingers or hand off. That would be a great place for a long cattle prod and less violent :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
If your door opens out make sure you get a strong metal handle for the inside of the door. Keep a regular door knob on the outside so that you have a much better hold from inside. One that will break off but leave the door secure for the outside would be great.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,429 Posts
If the door swings out to open, than doesnt that mean the hinges are on the outside? How do you keep Mr. Badguy from pulling the hinge pin or otherwise taking out the hinge to get in?

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
Funny you posted this as I was researching things to do to secure the door and an idea that came up was a reinforced strike plate.

Lots of good ideas in this video.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
All good ideas but breacher rounds will knock a door off its hinges pretty quick and they open it from the other side negating any pins in the floor.

Door will need to be secured with heavy iron flat bar in 3-4 places and sunk deeply into the frame of the home with reinforced jamb.

Windows are glass. Loud sirens from a security system tend to work best.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A very simple thing you can do is stuck a couple of wedges under the door (assumeing it has a clearance big enough to shove them under, a lot of good doors you can't do this with as their's a threshold that's raised a bit off the ground.

we used to do that with a building I was squatting years ago, cops would come to kick us out, and we'd shove wedges under the door which gave us long enough time to get into the roof of the adjacent building where we could get down tot he alley and go somewheres else untill they realized we weren't in the squat anymore.

it's hard to even break the door frame when a door is wedged shut because all the energy you put into it goes into the floor, you have to break it down from the top.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
But will it stop a pickup truck? Ain't nutthin break in proof, but you could add some pipes buried in the ground like the stores are doing.

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
Another thing I used to do when I lived in an apartment in a bad part of town was use a portable deadbolt and then use big eye screws and at night I would screw them into the door and frame by hand.
That is if you don't care about the door frame which I didn't because I could tell it was already kicked in before. Then I had other things that would warn me if someone bypassed that little obstacle.

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
A very simple thing you can do is stuck a couple of wedges under the door (assumeing it has a clearance big enough to shove them under, a lot of good doors you can't do this with as their's a threshold that's raised a bit off the ground.

we used to do that with a building I was squatting years ago, cops would come to kick us out, and we'd shove wedges under the door which gave us long enough time to get into the roof of the adjacent building where we could get down tot he alley and go somewheres else untill they realized we weren't in the squat anymore.

it's hard to even break the door frame when a door is wedged shut because all the energy you put into it goes into the floor, you have to break it down from the top.
We would trap our friends in their hotel room with a similar idea.
We would take pennies and if you stick one between where the door opens and the frame and then wedge as many as there will fit the door will not open and will be hard to get open. They will not be able to turn the hotel room door handle without much force.
Of course its all fun and games until a fire breaks out and they're trapped. Ha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts