Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOOOOOOOOOOOO I went out to my bug out cabin this morning to find the door standing wide open, I had an AK47 and 2 handguns so I was not skeered lol. I did about as tactical entry as I could to make sure it was clear, it was TRASHED, muddy floors cabinets open and stuff everywhere. I took some pictures and cleaned everything up.

GUESS WHAT ROBBERS LOL, I have a set of game cameras with infrared flash and you are busted lol, I printed the pictures off and took them to the sheriffs dept, I told them that it was a hunting cabin that is pretty well furnished and showed them the pictures, since I took the pictures they took my word for it so I dont have to show them where it is which is great because I considered not talking to the cops because I was afraid they would want to see the cabin. I told them I want to prosecute the guys for trespassing but they did not steal anything so who knows, the guys better hope the cops catch them before I do.

The cabin is built by myself out of " used wood " that I got by tearing down old structures for people. It is only a 2 room cabin but it has a nice solar setup that I built one piece at a time and even has an electric heater in it that will cook you out in the winter. There is not much in it besides pans, plates, some mre's and survival foods are hidden under the floor as well as other things but they did not even consider that fact because it is well hidden.

I can only guess they are poachers just traveling through our property looking for deer or turkey since they were in camo and one of them had a hunting rifle.

I guess its time to set some " deterrent devices " <<<< not traps that is illegal lol, to keep these *******s off our property. I will now be doing daily patrols instead of weekly on my atv and on foot until I see these guys again and have a nice little man ta man chat.

They did not steal anything that I can see but they did kick in my door which broke 2 locks and pisses me off, I have spoken to my attorney who said it is definitely a bad idea to set traps but if something happened to be in the doorway to fall or trip them then that is not a trap just a stupid place for a um anvil lol

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
I wouldn't cause them harm in any way like your suggesting, just because your attorney says it wouldn't be a trap. Doesn't mean they wont sue you for falling down on your property. Do you really want to go to court for 3 years spend 2-10 thousand dollars to fight it? Its not worth it. Trust me the legal system is a joke you don't want to get involved with it.

You may want to think about informing the dnr they will be after them as well for poaching, and they may scan the area from the air looking for them. Sheriff/police probably are not going to do jack.

You may want to go the the hardware store and pick up a cheep motion or sound activated alarm. Just a simple one that will blow there ear drums out and possibly alert you if your within a mile of the building.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
<snip>
GUESS WHAT ROBBERS LOL, I have a set of game cameras with infrared flash and you are busted lol, I printed the pictures off and took them to the sheriffs dept,
<snip>

I am sorry to hear about the break in, I had it happen with my garage and I know how upset I was. I just wanted to say that the game cameras are a great idea. I had not thought of using them for security but I will now.

Thank you for the good tip.

Kevin.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the trap thing is just what my pissed of mind tells me to do and that too will pass lol

The game cams are fantastic, I have a couple salt licks there around the cabin and get to see all kinds of wildlife coming to eat/lick the blocks and they really come in handy when dumb bad guys decide to take what is not theirs.

I have one built into the wall of the cabin with a wall hanging gone fishing sign and NOBODY can see this thing, my wife doesnt even know where it is. I have the other on a tree that covers the back of the cabin, nothing goes in or out of that cabin without me knowing. I do some security camera work as a side job and have quite a few wireless cameras with small digital recorders that run on battery and I have considered installing 4 or 6 of them in the timber around the cabin so I know whats coming but then I have to take a TV out there to watch them and dont want to do that.

They will record on a memory card and I can bring the memory card back here to watch on my computer or bring the box back and hook it up to my tv and I guess that would work but in a shtf situation I would need a tv out there to keep an eye on stuff so I will probably buy a 10" or 13" lcd tv to hook it to.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Have you thought of posting their pictures at the local watering hole, laundry mat, grocery stores and feed stores.

"I need to talk with these people about the break-in at my cabin. If you have any information, please call the local police dept. ##########"

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
I think your biggest problem isn't what was or wasn't stolen, but that your location is no longer secret- especially if it's setup to be off the grid. In a SHTF situ or even just a power outage, a self sufficient cabin with heat in the middle of the woods might be awfully tempting to the poachers....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually just got a phone call from a friend that works at the sheriffs dept as a dispatcher, the guys were arrested after breaking into a home not far from my cabin, apparently they have been living in a camper in the back of a pickup for a while because the cops found their truck/camper on the property that backs up to mine and it was all set up like they have been living there for at least a couple weeks.

In the camper were some stolen guns, some stolen jewelry, and electronics. So the cops are assuming they have been doing residential burglary in the area at farm homes during the day which explains alot because there have been at least 4 or 5 in the last 2 weeks.

One of them has a warrant for non- support and theft and the other has SEVERAL weapon related warrants so hopefully they will go down for a while. The only bad thing I could think about would be them breaking out of jail and trying to hide at my cabin. They are from Arkansas and I live in Missouri so they are a little bit from home.

They told the cops they were getting close to running out of gas so they decided to set up camp until they could get some things to sell. There were several carcasses of deer, squirrel, and rabbit and alot of trash from food they probably stole from the homes nearby.

The deputies are going to show me the stuff they got out of the camper to make sure none of it is mine but im pretty sure they didnt take anything from my cabin.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
A friend of mine has a hunting cabin that he used to buy big, expensive locks for, and everytime he came up, the locks either would be pulled out of the door, or the door would be bashed in. Eventually, he just gave up and left the cabin unlocked. He's actually found it cleaner than when he left it on occasion, turns out it was local kids looking for a 'party room'.

Point is, no matter how well concealed your place is, someone will stumble upon it at some point. Never assume you are secure because you are hidden.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mongo you are right and that is why my wife and I will stand gaurd, we always know when people are coming near because one of us always pays attention, im sure if we had to live there for a year someone would stumble upon us but that would be dealt with.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and we take our pit bull that does not bark at other animals but barks like hell when a person comes around, when we go to the cabin he is running loose and he sticks around the cabin.

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
set up trou De loup(punji spike pit) around there only leave out the punji spikes so that they're just traped down there then you can make a citizen's arrest and take them to the cops.

OR

you can leave the spikes in there that way no one alive knows your BOL, chop up and bury the bodies, no evidence.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
SOOOOOOOOOOOO I went out to my bug out cabin this morning to find the door standing wide open, I had an AK47 and 2 handguns so I was not skeered lol. I did about as tactical entry as I could to make sure it was clear, it was TRASHED, muddy floors cabinets open and stuff everywhere. I took some pictures and cleaned everything up.

GUESS WHAT ROBBERS LOL, I have a set of game cameras with infrared flash and you are busted lol, I printed the pictures off and took them to the sheriffs dept, I told them that it was a hunting cabin that is pretty well furnished and showed them the pictures, since I took the pictures they took my word for it so I dont have to show them where it is which is great because I considered not talking to the cops because I was afraid they would want to see the cabin. I told them I want to prosecute the guys for trespassing but they did not steal anything so who knows, the guys better hope the cops catch them before I do.

The cabin is built by myself out of " used wood " that I got by tearing down old structures for people. It is only a 2 room cabin but it has a nice solar setup that I built one piece at a time and even has an electric heater in it that will cook you out in the winter. There is not much in it besides pans, plates, some mre's and survival foods are hidden under the floor as well as other things but they did not even consider that fact because it is well hidden.

I can only guess they are poachers just traveling through our property looking for deer or turkey since they were in camo and one of them had a hunting rifle.

I guess its time to set some " deterrent devices " <<<< not traps that is illegal lol, to keep these *******s off our property. I will now be doing daily patrols instead of weekly on my atv and on foot until I see these guys again and have a nice little man ta man chat.

They did not steal anything that I can see but they did kick in my door which broke 2 locks and pisses me off, I have spoken to my attorney who said it is definitely a bad idea to set traps but if something happened to be in the doorway to fall or trip them then that is not a trap just a stupid place for a um anvil lol
This is just what I have been talking about in the Squatting thread, people think that just because it's there t is theres to do with anyway way they want to. The nerve of some people.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
guess what? it happens in the city too- foreclosed homes are getting broken into for shelter in the cold here.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly if they just broke in to sleep a night I would have been fine with it, I would have washed my bedding and went on with my life. The time stamp on the camera showed they were in there for 12 minutes before they left so they were just there to steal things. At the camper they were living in they had several 20 pound propane tanks that they had stolen to heat the camper and they had alot of other things to make sure they were taken care of.........

The cop said the weirdest thing he found were a bag of womens panties they had stolen? I know some people are weird but if I was hungry and just passing through stealing to live I dont think womens panties are on the top of my list over food and warm clothing.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
The cop said the weirdest thing he found were a bag of womens panties they had stolen? I know some people are weird but if I was hungry and just passing through stealing to live I dont think womens panties are on the top of my list over food and warm clothing.
Glad to hear they got bagged! Nice thing about burglars is that most of them aren't incredibly smart.

Hmm sounds like someone has a panty fetish... or maybe they wanted to complete their wardrobe :D:

This makes one wonder- how much stuff should you store at your BOL if you can't check on it often? Our river house is pretty well watched-over because we have one or two very friendly neighbors who live there year-round and check on the place.
That said, we have had a thing or two mysteriously vanish in our pole barn- but they were laying out in the open and there has been a lot of construction going on there as of late.

Another reason to take food with you when bugging out...

·
Registered
679 Posts
but if something happened to be in the doorway to fall or trip them then that is not a trap just a stupid place for a um anvil lol
The mental picture of a rigged anvil reminded me of Coyote and Roadrunner.
ACME tactics, I like it. :D:

Had some poachers on our property actually (and intentionally) shoot at me once, when I was attempting to approach/evict them - be very careful, some of these fools would much rather take you out than get busted.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah poachers are definitely bad news, if they came at me they would get all of the 7.62x39 ammo that I can shoot ( I have 2 loaded mags and the one in the gun on me around the property ) and also have a Glock 45acp and most of the time a Glock 9mm too. I have alot of property and I have to protect it:eek::

OH and im also scared of the panther/cougar back there which is why I actually carried that much lead to begin with lol

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I guess its time to set some " deterrent devices " <<<< not traps that is illegal lol, to keep these *******s off our property.

One thing that can help gaurd the place while your away is device called a "Burglar Bomb" It's a essentially a Pepper Spray gernade rigged with a trip wire. If someone breaks in and trips over the tripwire it will fire off with a dense cloud of pepper spray that takes 4 hours to clear out after triggering. So they just can't trigger it and wait a few minutes, go back in and steal your stuff.

There $68 dollors a piece, 2 or more $63 each refills are $12.95 each or 10.95 for 2 or more.

To get them send an order to:

Revel Technology Inc.
832 W. First St.
Birdsboro, PA 19508

PH# 1-800-235-6961

On the web at WWW.burglarbomb.com

I'd say that and ofcourse the contiuned use of the game cameras and puting in a cheap but loud adable alarm and a bright strobe to blind them (iniatially until the pepper spray goes to work.) I'd also put a cheap trunk lid cellular antenna mounted on the roof to fool them in to thinking the alarm has cellular calling capbility.

Rifleman 336

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
I once rigged a car alarm to play a loop tape of a woman screaming rape, dogs barking, police sirens, and full auto weapons firing- It got attention more than the usual 'whoop whoop whoop' alarm..... think of the scene with the pizza delivery in 'Home Alone'....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts